But some children play to be invisible.
According to ChildHelp:
- >>A report of child abuse is made every ten seconds
- >>*More than five children die every day as a result of child abuse.2
- >>Approximately 80 percent of children that die from abuse are under the age of 4. 1
- >>It is estimated that between 50-60 percent of child fatalities due to maltreatment are not recorded as such on death certificates. 3
- >>More than 90 percent of juvenile sexual abuse victims know their perpetrator in some way. 4
- >>Child abuse occurs at every socioeconomic level, across ethnic and cultural lines, within all religions and at all levels of education.
- >>About 30 percent of abused and neglected children will later abuse their own children, continuing the horrible cycle of abuse. 5
- >>About 80 percent of 21 year olds that were abused as children met criteria for at least one psychological disorder. 5
- >>The estimated annual cost of child abuse and neglect in the United States for 2008 is $124 billion.
This is a problem that won’t go away until we talk about it.
If you are a parent who struggles with your anger, ask for help. If you were abused and are concerned about passing the legacy on to your own children, ask for help. If you suspect children you know are in an abusive situation, get help.
Children are meant to be seen and heard—and loved.
Like elephant family on Facebook
hot on elephant
The 4 Stages of a Good Divorce. A Letter to my Children: You do not come from a Broken Home. Mom, can I Call her Mom, Too? To the One Who Tried to Break Me. An Open Letter to the Fixers. These People are Rare Gems—Keep Them, Fight for Them, don’t Give Up on Them. How your Stored Memories in the Amygdala can lead to PTSD. Jon Stewart makes first appearance since retiring—”it’s not your country.” Waylon shares 10 transformingly beautiful Quotes about Love. 40 Things I’ve Learned in 40 Years.