Meat me Halfway.

Via on Jul 10, 2012
Photo: Jellie S

I am sitting on a porch amid ferns in Playa del Carmen, watching the world spin by.

I have 29 percent power left on my laptop, and my charger is being repaired. So I’ll keep this quick.

There is no ethical reason to eat meat. Looking for an ethical reason to eat meat is like trying to find a yoga mat in a bowling alley.

Photo: Ell Brown

Correct me if I’m wrong, by writing an ethical reason to eat meat in the comments.  The New York Times Magazine ran an essay contest looking for one; the winning essay backs up my point 100 percent. Jim Gaffigan puts a good spin on it while keeping it accurate. He makes us laugh while pointing to what’s happening.

In a recent debate in Australia, “Should meat be taken off the menu?” the audience was swayed strongly towards taking it off.  The best speaker was this guy, Phillip Wollen, a formed VP and major financial wheeler dealer. The most inane argument from the meaters was, I promise you she argued this, that certain species of animals would go to extinction if we were to stop eating them. Really. Have a burger, save a cow.

YouTube Preview Image

So I pretty much give up on the arguing, for today.

I’m looking for the middle ground. We are all here between the stars and the earth’s core together. Any informed meat eater knows that eating any meat is simply bad for your health. (If you can believe Harvard) We all know that the planet and the water supply pay dearly for meat consumption.

We know there is no ethical reason to eat meat. Humans eat it because it tastes good.

So can we meet in the middle?

What if we were to all stop eating meat in our appetizers? Is that asking too much? Could we maybe take cheese off the dessert menu?

What if we were to start with dissecting frogs? Could we just quit that? Has there been a meaningful discovery, other than that dissecting frogs is gross, in that action over the past 10 years? Let’s switch to fake frogs for a start, could we?

I am looking for genuine ethical reasons to eat meat. There are none that I know of. So in the face of the onslaught of slaughter, I’m also looking for levels of compromise that maybe a meat eater could swallow. Will either appear?

~

Editor: Brianna Bemel

Like elephant Enlightened Society on Facebook.

About Karl Saliter

Karl is a circus artist sculptor yoga teacher writer miscreant gypsy, living in Mexico. He often feels as if he was born under a silver whale of a frisbee moon in the back of a red cartoon pickup truck, careening down route 66 at speed, that he somehow took the wheel, stuck his baby elbow out the rolled-down window, and decided to roll with it, and that though the truck had awesome chrome mirrors, he never looked back. He hopes you sometimes feel the same.

568 views

Elephriends - Mindful Partners

190x1902-EJ-clothing

15 Responses to “Meat me Halfway.”

1. Thanks, Karl. Good article.

Bob

2. karlsaliter says:

Gracias, Bobamatic!

3. Denise says:

Starvation: Not of the human race, but the animals themselves. What are you going to do with all the beef, hogs, chickens that are currently being raised for human consumption? They still need to be fed, you can't just turn them loose and let them fend for themselves. Why do you think they have hunting season, just so the rambo types can go shoot their guns? For example, the deer population, if not culled becomes a serious problem, not only to your vehicle and garden (flower and vegetable) but to themselves. The more deer the more starvation and illness in the herd. I find letting an animal starve due to overpopulation unethical. What better way to honor that animals life than to eat it after it's death, that animal in death gives life to those that eat it, whether it be human or animal that eats it. Circle of life. Over consumption by the human race of ALL things is the real unethical problem. Factory farming is unethical and unhealthy for the animals and those that consume the product from the "factory"

• Denise says:

BTW, your picture is of a Holstein. They are raised for milk production, not meat production.

• Thaddeus Haas Thaddeus1 says:

And what praytell do you think happens to all the male calves born to this holstein? Can they be found frolicing to their hearts content in the fields where only happy cows go to play?

4. karlsaliter says:

Your culling concept is a valid ethical reason to eat meat, or it would be,
    in a pretend place where anyone actually ate meat to cull the herds.

The starvation argument is wrong. Supply and demand: the demand would never stop instantly, but
    would taper off. As demand decreases, factory production decreases. If it came down to killing every factory farmed animal in existence right now, which it would not, how is this different from a typical month on the farm? The point of concern got food-bred animals who are alive at this market moment feels disingenuous.

I like the picture! Regarding the fact that it is a dairy animal, what do you think of my request in the article that we remove cheese from the desert menu?

• Suri_k8 says:

Well, the supply and demand argument is not entirely sound either because you are assuming that IF ONLY enough people stopped eating meat THEN the slaughter would stop but how realistic is it? Will there ever be enough such people? what percentage of the world's population needs to stop eating meat in order to stop the slaughter?
      I think the supply- demand argument is wrong in this case because it is un realistic… I mean people have trouble giving up things that are considered less essential…and cultural or evolved , eating animal protein is something we humans have deeply programmed in our little heads.
      other examples:
      If only enough people stopped using their cars…. Then we could stop global warming
      If only enough people stopped having babies…Then we could stop environmental degradation

5. maru says:

Milk is liquid meat in terms of the cruelty involved and health issues to human due to its consumption, so I think the pic of the Holstein applies… just saying, Plus I think what matters is the content of the article and not the picture…

I read M. Pollan's book, the Omnivorous Dilemma… he made me think….
    Then I read Gary Yurovsky´s anser to that book…. Where is the dilemma??? You are either compassionate or you are not!

That solved my doubts.
    I can not meet you half way Karl.
    This mascre needs to end and people need to recognize animals right to live, just as their own.
    And I love you

• karlsaliter says:

Ja ja Maru. I heard a great song, if I can find it.
      The Hiders. Magic show.
      "Which side are you on, the dusk or the dawn, midnight or noon?"
      It kind of says it all.

But we start where we are, no?

6. [...] whether you use a pressure cooker, whether beans are replacing a significant portion of your meat consumption, how locally your beans are [...]

7. [...] culture. For one thing, Americans are highly sedentary. We sit in chairs, rarely on floors. We eat a lot of meat, junk food, processed food and high-glycemic food. At the end of a workday, our joints feel creaky [...]

8. [...] my “stupid pills” that day. He was flabbergasted that I, as an instructor, could endorse the consumption of animal products despite my efforts to go out of my way to always buy organic, local and humanely [...]

9. Why would there be a need for an ethical reason anyway? We were created as omnivores and we should stick to it. That means as healthy a balance of meat and vegetables as possible.

• karlsaliter says:

Um, because we were also created beings who have the power to think for ourselves, to choose.
      One side mercy, one side tasty.

Thanks for commenting.

10. bidninja says:

Hi buddy, your blog’s type is easy and clean and i like it. Your blog content articles are superb. Please maintain them coming. Greets!!!