F*ck you, Pat Robertson.

Via on Aug 21, 2012

As the daughter of an adopted mother, and friend to many adopted children, I was curious when I saw this video shared on Facebook today:

Usually, I wouldn’t care one way or the other what Pat Robertson had to say. We look at the world differently. He’s not even remotely close to the caring, mindful Christians I know in the way he talks about spirituality or how to live. And live and let live, right? But this hit me.

There is nothing “Christian” about these statements.

There is nothing loving about saying that all the problems that come with adopted children make them “weird.”

There is nothing generous about encouraging people to help orphans, but make sure you do it from afar.

There is no goodness in saying that because of the possible abuse a child has suffered, he or she might not be someone to welcome into your family.

So, Pat Robertson (who I’m pretty sure is not a regular elephant reader) I ask you:

WTFWJD?

Jesus spent time with prostitutes, lepers and outcasts. He didn’t send them money from afar and wish them well.

Jesus said,  “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” When he had placed his hands on them, he went on from there. (Matthew 19: 13 – 15)

It doesn’t sound like he waited to find out which ones had been abused or had psychological problems before inviting them in.

Jesus said, “If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all.” He took a little child and had him stand among them. Taking him in his arms, he said to them, “Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me.” (Mark 9: 35 – 37)

Notice, he doesn’t say, welcome the children who are your same race and are free from handicaps.

Jesus said, “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.” (Matthew 5:7)

By the book and the words of the man you claim to represent with your business (and it is a business) you have failed here.

If you want to get picky about it, Jesus was raised by an adoptive father.

So, while my title is not merciful or kind, it is my sincere hope that those who see this video are inspired to speak out against these statements. Let Pat Robertson and Focus on the (all white, heterosexual, handicap-free and biological) Family know that this is not an acceptable way to treat adopted and blended families.

Click to Contact Focus on the Family.

We are all more connected than we are separate. When one of us, anywhere is hurting and in need of love, it affects all of us. Children in need are not a problem for “someone else” to fix. They belong to all of us.

I’m pretty sure Jesus said something about that too.

Like elephant family on Facebook.

About Kate Bartolotta

Kate Bartolotta is the strongest girl in the world. She is the love child of a pirate and a roller derby queen. She hails from the second star to the right. Her love of words is boundless, but she knows that many of life’s best moments are completely untranslatable. When she is not writing, you may find her practicing yoga, devouring a book, playing with her children, planting dandelions, or dancing barefoot with her heart on her sleeve. She is madly in love with life and does not know how this story ends; she’s making it up as she goes. Kate is the owner and editor-in-chief of Be You Media Group. She also writes for The Huffington Post, elephant journal, The Good Men Project, The Green Divas, Yoganonymous, The Body Project, Project Eve, Thought Catalog and Soulseeds. She facilitates writing workshops and retreats throughout North America. Heart Medicine, Kate's book on writing, is now available on Amazon.com You can follow Kate on Facebook and Twitter

23 Responses to “F*ck you, Pat Robertson.”

1. Very well said. Wish more people would understand that this problem is with Pat Robertson, not with Christianity.

2. Heather Dawn heather says:

AMEN. You are fabulous, Kate.

3. Barbara says:

This is as ridicolous as Todd Akin's recent comment on his pro-life view, comparing himself to the 9/11 first responders who didn't ask for ID when they saved people. (Probably more to invoke 9/11 patriotism than anything else – this explanation is lame). Oh these right wing 'Christians' – they really don't understand the whole picture. God gave them a heart and a brain but somehow the two don't work together. Dare I say it…. they can be so WEIRD.

4. Margie Barkley says:

New American Standard Bible (©1995) Luke 17:2

These words are attributed to Jesus wrt to leading children astray:
    “It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea, than that he would cause one of these little ones to stumble.”

That’s a pretty negative reaction, to say the least. Far more extreme than your title.

One can only assume that to adopt the children alluded to in the clip (and thereby improve their circumstances), would create the opposite response from Jesus.

It’s also interesting that Mr. Robertson says that it is not one’s responsibility to take on the problems of these children (and of course you mentioned that). I thought that was the essential message of the Gospell, that Jesus took on the burdens of human error?

5. Mamaste says:

What an idiot! What's in the water lately?
    Just intro'd on FB to: I'm Not Spiritual & Enlightened/
    ~Mamaste

6. mark says:

I am so happy that women are the ones who vote consistently and for the right reasons. You are under represented among elected officials, yet you continue to vote to oust those with outlandish right-winged agendas. Robertson is yet another right-winged hypocrite preacher hiding behind Christianity and our flag. Why anyone would listen to this scared old man is beyond my understanding. Pick and choose Christianity is oh, so convenient for his ilk.

7. caroline says:

Had to share this. One of my friends has dedicated her life to taking in children. All children, every race,disability,and abuse. She loves them, adopts them when she can and gives them the life they deserve. This will make her blood boil thanks for sharing and well stated!

8. @gypsyjessy says:

Geez. What a train wreck.

Yes, these comments are ridiculous and certainly would never come from Jesus. Can you imagine Jesus saying—“Nah, don’t adopt. You never know what type of background the kid had. Don't bother with her.” ?? And to echo another commenter, I wish Robertson wasn’t viewed as a voice of mainstream Christianity.

But goodness, he’s getting old. I really can’t get too critical when I suspect (or hope?) early-onset dementia was fueling his response.

BTW: I love your bio, Kate… Makes me smile!

9. Mark Ledbetter says:

Bad news. He doesn't sound at all like he's getting senile. At the very end, he cut himself off mid-sentence and said "Ok, let's get to the next question. I'm in trouble," That sounds like a pretty lucid understanding of what he had just said. For that matter, his entire spiel was lucid, quick, sharp. Not the product of a senile mind.

And near the beginning, on adopting many kinds of kids, he said… "A man doesn't want to take on the United Nations."

Wow. How many different kinds of prejudice does he allude to with just eleven words! Yeah Kate, I also thought your title was a bit harsh, but after listening I have to cut you a whole lot of slack on that.

• Yeah, the title was harsh. It was my first reaction when I watched the video so I decided to go with it. I am sad that this man claims to represent modern Christianity.

10. guest says:

Pat Robertson truly is a blind fool. His arrogance puts him right back with the Pharisees.

11. GreatNorthSky says:

LOVE The Title Here :: No Doubt, For Sure. And It's A Real Shame That Those In The Public Light Never Seem To Really Think Before They Speak.

As The King Of Love Taught :: We Are All ONE :: ONE LOVE नमस्ते

12. Btgraeve says:

For what it’s worth, Pat Robertson doesn’t run Focus on the Family (that’s another bigoted white guy who purports to represent mainstream family values). Robertson runs the 700 Club, I believe.

13. yoga bear says:

the men are not dogs, they are a**h*l*s.

14. [...] So wonderfully lost in the adoption of our new daughter, it took me a while to realize that I was pregnant. Again, more words. [...]