President Obama responds to GOP Congressman’s Rape comments.

Via on Aug 20, 2012

Update: “Akin’s rape opinion isn’t new. Earlier this year, every House Republican and 16 Blue Dog Democrats voted for a bill that would have redefined rape in federal statutes to be ‘forcible rape.’”

And the adult in the room responds:

“Rape is rape.

The idea that we should be parsing types of rape doesn’t make sense to the American people and certainly doesn’t make sense to me.

What these comments do underscore is why we shouldn’t have a bunch of politicians, a majority of whom are men, making health care decisions on behalf of women.”

~ President Obama

YouTube Preview Image

For more: Studies actually suggest that rape is more (about twice as likely) to result in pregnancy than consensual sex.

Another.

For more on the context, which is what’s actually important here, as the end of Obama’s quote alludes to.

Background, via Reddit:

Here’s a link to the story. Akins is a member of the House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology. Here’s his quote: “First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare,” Akin told KTVI-TV. “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.” So, from something he heard from doctors, Akins is creatively extrapolating , in a science-ish kind of way. Apparently Akin believes the female body can recognize a rape and “shut down” the pregnancy(?) So if a woman is pregnant, it’s really rare that a pregnancy arises from rape, and she must have wanted it? His statement is so confused in its logic it’s difficult to figure out what was going on in his head, but it is clearly wrong, and he shouldn’t be the head of anything that has “science” in its name.

About Waylon Lewis

13 Responses to “President Obama responds to GOP Congressman’s Rape comments.”

1. yogi henry says:

I’m disappointed that this article appears here on EJ. More appropriate for Huffpo or politico. There are wack jobs in all parties…why single one out?

• ann says:

my understanding of EJ is that it covers everything, with a yoga/wellbeing sort of umbrella. politics and politicians' shameful behavior (and otherwise) most certainly falls under that umbrella. it's all connected.

2. Trista says:

And Murder is Murder. His record abroad is almost worse than Bush/Cheney. So I can not and will not vote for Obama as a woman, whether he is more understanding about what rape is or not.

Jill Stein 2012.

• ann says:

i hear you – and i agree – but dear god, am i afraid of romney/paul…

• YogaForLiberty says:

I'm voting 3rd party, but if I had to choose between the two criminals I would vote for Romney. The reason being there would be a much larger dissent. Romney could possibly unite the tea party, occupy, Ron Paul libertarians, and all democrats against the executive.

• yogi henry says:

to yogaforliberty: you said; “I’m voting 3rd party, but if I had to choose between the two criminals I would vote for Romney.”
          You are smart enough to know that voting 3rd party is actually voting for Obama, right?”

3. thirtydaysofyoga says:

I think it's great that EJ posted his comments. Since he is the ELECTED president of the United States of America, I'd say regardless of your (general your) political beliefs or hatred of the man, his valid and timely points regarding rape had to be heard worldwide and every forum is the right forum for that. I'm from the UK, believe me, a sensible response to such misogynistic horror had to be heard.

• YogaForLiberty says:

I agree. But being from the UK, don't you think our president ought to also respond to pressuring the UK to violate the Ecuadorian embassy's sovereign rights to get a Publisher? Or the Drone stikes over the weekend that killed 12 in Pakistan? Why only issues relevant to the campaign? He is the president after all.

• bobcat says:

Please don't cover up the issue at hand. This is about femal body and many, many centuries old oppression of it. Wait for a different article that would give you better opportunities to slam Obama and promote Romney. If rape and women's right to do what she want with her body is not your concern, move along.

• YogaForLiberty says:

My point is that you are not smart enough to recognize that Obama framed his response to equate VP choice Ryan with Akins comment as they both supported a bill to redefine rape. This is politics as usual and the President elect using this as an opportunity to play politics, not directly support female body and centuries old oppression, etc.

• YogaForLiberty says:

Oh, and my question was directed to thirtydaysofyoga. I said I agree, thought it was a good response from the prez, but was surprised that's the only news we heard from him that day. As the prez elect he should of also responded to other things. Like the historic wikileaks drama with assange, us pressuring uk to violate geneva conventions, which I think are as important as responding to a whack job pro-lifer.

4. [...] tax shenanigans to Barack Obama’s direct assault on Romney’s troubling career at Bain Capital, the Democratic Party is showing real derring-do on the campaign trail. The three principles of this year’s Democratic campaign appear to be: Hope, Change, and [...]