Update: Akin isn’t alone: Rep King has said something similar.
Support Claire McCaskill!
Okay, we’re all horrified/not that surprised, sadly, at this new GOP low. Well, here’s what to do about it: support Claire McCaskill, who’s fighting an uphill battle in Missouri:
Even if you can’t vote for her, you can donate $10 to her campaign:
“It is beyond comprehension that someone can be so ignorant about the emotional and physical trauma brought on by rape. The ideas that Todd Akin has expressed about the serious crime of rape and the impact on its victims are offensive.” ~ Claire McCaskill
Given the comments by her opponent Todd Akin, I though reddit might want to see some of Claire McCaskill, the woman he is trying to defeat’s positions. The race has been neck and neck throughout as Missouri is split pretty much 50/50 rural and urban areas.
- Against estate tax repeal takes care of millionaires
- Voted YES on increasing tax rate for people earning over $1 million.
- Against PIPA
- Believes we should raise the minimum wage
- Improve mental health care benefits for returning veterans.
- Repeal Don’t-Ask-Don’t-Tell, and reinstate discharged gays.
- Restore habeas corpus for detainees in the War on Terror.
- Opposes annual limit on federal Medicare spending.
- Expand Medicare for people, not for drug companies.
- Negotiate for lower Rx prices and reimportation.
- Uncovering Medicaid waste reduces cost of medicine.
- Voted NO on the Ryan Budget: Medicare choice, tax & spending cuts.
- Believes US should create respect abroad, not just fear
- Supports fair trade which avoids shipping jobs overseas
- Energy independence by 2020 via alternative fuels.
- She has not taken a position on Marijuana legalization, however she believes the prison system is overcrowded with nonviolent drug offenders and she is much more focused on illegal production of Methamphetamines (a huge problem in MO).
Not to say all her positions are great, I don’t agree with her position on immigration or guest worker visas but there you have it.
hot on elephant
Elephant Journal’s Holiday Gift Guide 636 shares A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 557 shares Waylon’s favorite Ethical Gifts. 11 shares Join: Elephant’s Winter 2017 Academy. 28 shares Trevor Noah just won my Respect. 2,557 shares Year of the Fire Rooster 2017: What to Expect. 853 shares December Forecast: Letting Go of 2016 & Leaning into 2017 with Love. 6,764 shares These Tweets (and Retweets) actually Happened. 1,384 share How to Say Goodbye to that almost-great Love. 1,584 share Why a Year of No Dating was the Best Thing I ever did for Myself. 4,011 shares