My favorite Quote from President Obama’s Speech.

Via on Sep 7, 2012

Complete videos.

One of my favorite quotes:

President Barack Obama’s Remarks at the 2012 Democratic National Convention – Full Speech:

Help build this campaign: http://OFA.BO/R1nJQx

~

Register to vote here.

A few pull-out quotes from last night’s speech (click here for video):

“Have a surplus? Try a tax cut. Deficit too high? Try another. Feel a cold coming on? Take two tax cuts, roll back some regulations & call us in the morning.” ~ President Obama

Climate change is not a hoax. ~ President Barack Obama

“And while I’m very proud of what we’ve achieved together, I’m far more mindful of my own failings, knowing exactly what Lincoln meant when he said, ”I have been driven to my knees many times by the overwhelming conviction that I had no place else to go.”

I am the President. ~ President Barack Obama

You did it. ~ President Barack Obama

Osama bin Laden is dead. ~ President Barack Obama

“America, I never said this journey would be easy, and I won’t promise that now. Yes, our path is harder, but it leads to a better place. Yes our road is longer, but we travel it together. We don’t turn back. We leave no one behind. We pull each other up. We draw strength from our victories, and we learn from our mistakes, but we keep our eyes fixed on that distant horizon, knowing that Providence is with us, and that we are surely blessed to be citizens of the greatest nation on Earth.

Thank you, God bless you, and may God bless these United States.”

~

Why the last 10 minutes of President Obama’s speech had me in tears.

I don’t know.

I do know it was something about the vision of America—one of love, enthusiasm, community—a feeling I had when I was a child, in public school, learning about our noble experiment in self-government, about Lincoln, about Washington, about MLK Jr.

I don’t love America in the way I root for a football or baseball or basketball team. I love America in a more profound way. I love our differences, our challenges, even our rancor. We’re a loud, brash country, full of excess and deprivation, full of selfishness and everyday kindnesses.

We can choose which direction, which path to walk. We can choose a path based on responsibility, common sense and warmth—or we can choose one based on prejudice, fear, and divisiveness.

Yours,

Waylon

~

Bonus:

A few good reasons to vote Obama.

Five Reasons to vote Obama.

Via Reddit: a comment in response to a comment that said “a good speech, but not one of his best.”

I agree, but I think it is incredibly strategic (I’m not a political analyst of any sort, by the way).

Michelle had so much heart in her speech, and completely blew Ann Romney out of the water by comparison (using Ann to humanize Mitt, when her counterpart is fucking Michelle? Please…). Clinton they used to refute the Republicans on complex issues, but he’s perfect for that because he can communicate those issues in a wonderful way. Biden, I was super impressed by, and he was also heartfelt, patriotic, and inspiring (and surprisingly few linguistic screw ups, considering it’s Biden).

So what was there left for Obama? He CAN”T be quite as inspiring and hopeful as he was last election. Four years later, a lot of people still haven’t seen that “change” and “hope.” To ride that inspirational wave would insult and alienate those people. Promising a beautiful paradise with music and baby deers and meadows, when you’ve already had four years to do it, would not go over well with people that are still frustrated and struggling. Basically, shit got real.

But, as Pres., you do have things to work with: you HAVE accomplished a lot of great things. Mention that. Remind people of what HAS changed. Then remind people that this shit doesn’t happen overnight. For the problems we had, four years isn’t long enough to fix it. Then, importantly, focus on the future. Aspirations. Where we CAN go from here, given the right leadership. Focus on that, but don’t get too inspiring because, again, that could alienate people who have not yet felt the changes you put in place. But it will happen, you will feel it, as long as the other guys don’t screw it up.

So yeah, I felt it was lacking compared to his beautiful, inspiring, damn-near tear-bringing speeches of the past, but…that is where he is now. That is what he had to do. He is the President. Shit was bad. He did a lot. It’s getting better. Let him finish the job and not let someone else screw it up. Boom!

Bonus:

About Waylon Lewis

Like this article? Leave a tip!

(We use PayPal but you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

6 Responses to “My favorite Quote from President Obama’s Speech.”

1. elephantjournal says:

Steve Curtin Absolutely befuddled how a site committed to creating an "enlightened society" can find cause with a monster. The German people loved Hitler, and we probably think that vicariously made them monsters as well.
    about an hour ago · Like · 1
    Abbey Gagnon Just my opinion, elephant journal should stay away from politics.
    about an hour ago via mobile · Like · 1
    Lisa Speake- Gillanders Yes Abbey! I was thinking the same… I'd hate to delete the elephant journal…
    48 minutes ago · Like
    elephantjournal.com ‎Abbey Gagnon isn't having a political opinion part of living a mindful life? We have had bloggers and commenters share a wide variety of political opinions. I would hope that civic involvement would be a large part of life for those who wish to live mindfully. ~ Kate
    33 minutes ago · Like · 1
    Kyle Fitzgerald Let's be honest for a second, one candidate espouses empty promises and lies that cloud his real policies: Endless War (with ostensibly Soviet Era Russia), a return to a class based economic political system, open doors for Corporations to dictate Government Policy and most egregious of all, and least closeted by his own party, the denial of the Franchise, the VOTE, to black and urban voters.
    17 minutes ago · Like
    Kyle Fitzgerald The President has backed the Arab Spring, got Bin Laden (the greatest threat to Human Rights of the last 30 years), created regulations that protected the environment, warded off Economic Depression, expanded Education funding on all levels, and protected and expanded the basic rights of US and World citizens. This is a clear choice. One is mindful, one is not.
    13 minutes ago · Like
    elephantjournal.com Anyone's welcome to contribute their experiences or views to elephant, as long as respectful! Disagreement without being disagreeable is a wonderful thing. Email your bit to write@elephantjournal.com . And, as for those two who might delete us for apparently disagreeing with one of our many writers, go for it—or, better yet, don't seek out clubs you agree with 100% of the time. Instead, contribute and enlighten. ~ Waylon.

• Barb says:

I am deeply saddened and disappointed to learn that my daily breath of freshair and wisdom blog is nothing but an arm of the political machine. And an extremely biased one at that! Please consider that a meditating, life-truths seeking 69 year old woman could be interested in a fair report which includes the other party. Ideally, I would never want to see anything political on this site. I am signing out. This 'Obama in Your (My) Face' trick has put me over the edge. Syanora.

Barb, Heidelberg, Germany (American)

2. i had that same reaction to the end of his speech. it was sizzling w/ MLK passion and i even remarked that i expected him to riff, "i have BEEN to the mountain . . . " it was awesome. we needed it. we need that passionate vision.

3. Trinley Khadro says:

Your political opinions are not mindfulness. Not insight. Not dharma in action.

4. Suzanne says:

Rather disappointed to find political content here. Even more disappointed to see all those 'sheeple' lapping up that completely calculated speech. It was designed to give them what they want so desperately to hear & to me it didn't feel at all sincere. Just dramatically contrived & calculated. I shouldn't have been surprised at a couple of the cards he had the 'nerve' to pull out. But what should I expect from a puppet anyway? And don't get me wrong here. I have no praise for the other side either. The American public has some really lousy choices. The party lines have become so blurred that I see little difference between them anymore. Mostly just a bunch of self-serving politicians that care little for what the greater percentage of Americans want for this country. I see them as 'All in bed together behind closed doors. You scratch my back & I'll scratch yours'. Besides that, the American public doesn't even count when it comes to electing the President. The Electoral College elects the President. Since I live in California, I will be making sure to get my ballot into the ballot box for the 'Yes' vote on Prop. 37 !!!

5. Neil says:

My biggest concern is how Obama seems to not care about the debt of the Nation – $16 trillion and counting. In his speech he said nothing about how he was going to cut spending. Just the opposite, he bragged about how he was going to spend more money on new jobs, construction, and energy. Don't get me wrong, these are important issues but we cannot continue to borrow and spend. We need to get things under control before we continue this madness of going deeper and deeper in debt. Doesn't anyone care about this?