I know chia seeds are good for you.
Everyone’s mixing them with their coconut water, putting them in their smoothies and preaching about their benefits. But how do you get your chias if you’re like me and prefer to chew your food, rather than drink it?
Look no further!
This is my version of the Num Pang Cambodian Roasted Cauliflower Sandwich—complete with cauliflower and carrot strips, but with soybean sprouts instead of mayo and my own, chia seedy version of their chunky eggplant purée. It’s a perfect lunch for those days when you want to dig into a warm, hearty sandwich without a lot of grease and calories!
Ingredients for one person:
- 1 slice of whole grain bread
- 100 g cauliflower
- 30 g avocado
- 100 g eggplant
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- a small carrot
- a handful of soybean sprouts
- lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp olive oil
- black pepper and a pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut cauliflower into florets and put in an oven-proof baking dish. Crush garlic using a garlic press and mix with olive oil and lemon juice in a bowl. Toss florets in mix and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place dish uncovered in the hot oven, for 20-25 minutes or until florets are lightly brown.
- Slice avocado, julienne carrot and dice eggplant into cubes. Mix eggplant with lemon juice, black pepper and chia seeds. Mash to obtain a chunky purée.
- Toast bread briefly to make it crisp. Cut diagonally and spread eggplant purée on both slices. Put avocado slices, cauliflower florets, carrot strips and soybean sprouts on bottom half. Cover with top half.
- Serve with cucumber spirals, celery sticks or whatever veggies you have in your fridge.
What’s your favorite chia recipe?
Malin Bergman is an ashtanga yogi, indie film and music aficionado, often-cheating vegan and failed ballerina, who sleeps like a starfish and refuses to accept that Pluto is no longer a planet. She loves green figs, anything crochet, horses, Coney Island, second-hand book stores and the guy who plays piano in Washington Square Park. She seldom leaves her house without giant shades, a mug of black coffee and her Chinese Crested darling dog, Angel.
Editor: Kate Bartolotta
Like elephant food on Facebook.
hot on elephant
The 4 Stages of a Good Divorce. A Letter to my Children: You do not come from a Broken Home. Mom, can I Call her Mom, Too? These People are Rare Gems—Keep Them, Fight for Them, don’t Give Up on Them. Jon Stewart makes first appearance since retiring—”it’s not your country.” Waylon shares 10 transformingly beautiful Quotes about Love. 40 Things I’ve Learned in 40 Years. Dear Woman in the White Car at Margaritas Mexican Grill in West Memphis, Arkansas on July 15th, 2012. When your Heart is Wounded, I will Hold your Hand. Hot Love with a Leo.