Via on Oct 26, 2012

“I wish my moderate Republican friends would simply be honest.

They all say they’re voting for Romney because of his economic policies (tenuous and ill-formed as they are), and that they disagree with him on gay rights. Fine. Then look me in the eye, speak with a level clear voice, and say, My taxes and take-home pay mean more than your fundamental civil rights, the sanctity of your marriage, your right to visit an ailing spouse in the hospital, your dignity as a citizen of this country, your healthcare, your right to inherit, the mental welfare and emotional well-being of your youth, and your very personhood. It’s like voting for George Wallace during the Civil Rights movements, and apologizing for his racism. You’re still complicit. You’re still perpetuating anti-gay legislation and cultural homophobia. You don’t get to walk away clean, because you say you ‘disagree’ with your candidate on these issues.” ~ Pulitzer and Tony winning playwright Doug Wright

Like elephant Enlightened Society on Facebook.

About elephant journal

10 Responses to “Quote of the Day: “I wish my moderate Republican friends would simply be honest.””

1. beano says:

And if you vote for either of the two main guys you are complicit in unaccountable drone warfare against innocent civilians.

Quote me on that.

• elephantjournal says:

I can't, because you're anonymous.

One party tends to love war. One has got us out of one, and is dialing down the other. Civilian deaths are inexcusable, agreed on that point. But to say there's no difference…you and your very real intelligence and research are aiding and abetting the party that's war-friendly, and isn't putting energy into clean, domestic energy independence.

Yours,

Non-Anonymous Waylon Lewis

2. Mark Ledbetter says:

Excellent point beano!

And you are also complicit in the jailing of millions of mostly minority men for committing victimless crimes. And complicit with the destruction of the neighborhoods they come from through the War On Drugs.

Many people here at Ele probably felt a surge of moral indignation as they read Doug Wright's words. I wish there were some way you, and also "Pulitzer playwright Doug Wright," could "look me in the eye" and say with a "level clear voice" that marriage rights are more important than the American war machine and the American gulag.

A vote for Gary Johnson (Libertarian Party) or the Green Party candidate (forgot her name) is a vote against war.

A vote for Gary Johnson is a vote against both war and the American Gulag. (Not to mention, a vote against govt-business collusion and the saddling of our children to mountains of debt.)

The issues that separate the two main candidates and move the passions of most Americans are frankly insignificant compared to the issues on which they fundamentally agree: War and the Gulag. Look me in the face Doug Wright and tell me that marriage rights are more important than those. It takes a huge set of moral blinders, Doug, to bring in the George Wallace comparison while at the same time implying we should support a candidate who supports war and gulag.

• Joe says:

What are you talking about? You're missing the point here, completely. Talk about "wearing blinders". You have chosen your own civil rights issue and by argueing that he is disregarding yours, you have completely disregarded the point of his statement. It's idiots like you that perpetuate the stupidity in this world. Congratulations.

• Mark Ledbetter says:

Hi Joe, I certainly try not to wear blinders on civil rights issues. They're important. All of them. I don't think I've missed any civil rights issue that Doug Wright is talking about. Just wanted to point out that, on a hierarchy of importance, there are much bigger issues than gay marriage. That is not to denigrate the importance of the gay marriage issue. It's just to remind people (since almost no one outside the libertarian or black communities are doing much reminding) that there is a much more important issue. I just bet Doug Wright hasn't even thought much about it. But being thrown in jail for a victimless so-called crime is MUCH worse than being denied government recognition for your living arrangements and even much worse than any legal repercussions to that lack of recognition. If you're going to bring George Wallace into the picture, you're going to have to go with the big civil rights issues, not the relatively smaller ones.

• Mark Ledbetter says:

Oh, yeah, and just so you know, and just so I can get in a word on this issue, too…

I have argued at length here at Ele that the government has NO natural right to define marriage or issue licenses. Marriage is no business of government's, only of the people involved.

I guess during this political season, I just wanted to counter the undercurrent of D. W.'s comments. He seems to be arguing that the gay marriage issue is big enough to swing your vote. Well, if civil rights are going to swing your vote, D.W. has two bigger issues to consider, the War Machine and the American Gulag. And neither of those issues should swing your vote to Obama. Or to Romney, of course! Libertarian or Green are the only choices,really.

• Mark Ledbetter says:

And one more point. Don't know the Green position, but as a bonus, a libertarian vote will also be a pro=gay marriage vote. For Libs, government has no business at all in the marriage business.

3. Debbie says:

I appreciate the insights of both commenters promoting a Libertarian or Green vote. I wish I could have more intelligent discussion like this but the one year I voted Libertarian was the year W was elected to a second term. It felt like a kick in the gut that I am still reeling from. I wish we could do away with the current system and have more candidates. In this election, I would rather have a minority president who feels vaguely like a human being who is overwhelmed by a screwed up country, than be kicked in the gut again by a rich Mormon white guy who appears to be a shell of a human being.

4. PremaIsTheWay says:

One could say that real lasting change could only come from outside the two party system since the two party system has gotten us to where we are presently and as Einstein said, “You cannot solve a problem from the same consciousness that created it. You must learn to see the world anew". We have to re-imagine the world, far away from what it is to have hope for a new future. The past and the present are just different versions of the same thing. It will always continue so. The political process (and election rules) in USA do not allow for third party candidates to truly have a chance. The system makes sure of that. Therefore we truly do not have a full democracy. Isn't that so clear? It will be outside the system that true lasting peace and prosperity can come to all the people of the world. It will have to be a shift in consciousness. It is a spiritual solution that has worldly reverberations. No party, no system, no government in history has solved poverty, hunger or war. Nor will they in present form ever do so. Mr. Obama reignited the imagination of the whole world (speech in Berlin) when he ran for office on the platform of change and hope. (I was inspired, I voted for him). And reality is it was mutated and acclimated as a new version of the same old system. The REAL change and hope that was ignited was for a new day to dawn. All visionaries all agents of change worked outside the system (Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr.) it is the only way, and most were killed. If all the effort put forth to re-elect our present leaders was put forth to uncover the truth of how the system is rigged for benefit of corporations and candidates with the most money and how little choice we really have, we could have a chance to re-imagine the world. Where true democracy would reign and people were free to protest in the streets without being pepper sprayed and arrested and penned off into "free speech zones" what our forefathers fought and died for, a nation of liberty and freedom for all reduced to zones created by authorities that eventually themselves control and clear the zones. Dissent is no longer allowed in the USA, nor is there much choice within the present system, isn't that clear?