10 Rules for a Happy Marriage.

Via on Nov 15, 2012

rules happy marriage

And if all else fails, there’s an app for that.

What “rules” are missing from this list? Please share in the comments section.

~

Bonus:

A 20-something’s thoughts on traditional and gay marriage… even marriage to a penguin.

Funny and unexpectedly insightful (just get past the intro).

Like elephant love on facebook.

About Lynn Hasselberger

Lynn Hasselberger lives in Chicagoland with her son, husband and two cats. She loves sunrises, running, yoga, chocolate, and NYR, and has a voracious appetite for comedy. In her spare time, she blogs at myEARTH360.com and LynnHasselberger.com. A "Green Diva" and social media addict, you'll most likely find Lynn on twitter (@LynnHasselbrgr & @myEARTH360) and facebook. She hopes to make the world a better place, have more fun, re-develop her math skills and overcome her fear of public speaking. Like her writing? Subscribe to her posts.

21 Responses to “10 Rules for a Happy Marriage.”

1. Tracie says:

Interesting list, but #1 is not possible. When there is conflict/disagreement, both of you are upset. And #10 is also not correct. It's quite easy for only 1 person to make a quarrel. (says the woman who's been happily married for 15 years) The rest are great, though!!

• Thanks for taking the time to comment, Tracie! I didn't write the list myself, but thought of it more as a guideline for thinking. I've been married 20 years, not all of them a bowl of cheeries, and think any or all of these points could diffuse some otherwise nasty situations. Not realistic in all cases. #1 is more of an ideal and as someone who has been married for this long, I viewed many of the others as tongue-in-cheek, wink winky.

2. MarshaMarshaMarsha says:

Bonus Jenna Marbles video, thanks! I have a sign on my wall that says "Apologizing does not always mean that you are wrong and the other person is right. It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego". That sign has helped stop arguments. I like that.

3. lentil says:

Lovely, however sometimes it's totally better to " sleep on it" then to try and force a resolution or draw things out longer if you're tired. Just say "I love and we'll deal with this tomorrow." :)

• Tracy says:

Great list, but I agree with Lentil. It took me many years to learn that it’s okay to give each other some time and space to cool off. (And we get so much more sleep that way! LOL!)

• Thanks for the comment, Lentil. I don't typically sleep well if there's a situation hanging over my head, but good idea to say I love you, let's deal tomorrow. Cheers!

4. Heather Morton Heather says:

The video would have been far more effective with less Fuck this and Fuckin' that. I used to use that word a lot too and it actually is far more effective when it comes out from someone that you'd never expect it from!

The one thing Lady Gaga's Mother said that bothered her was her daughter's use of that "F" word. She felt she didn't need to say it and could be more effective.

I like that word a lot personally as it gets right down to the pt. However, it is getting overused.

Probably something you have to grow out of and possibly INTO. LIke if my sweet little mom said it and at 72 that would be F'in funny.

Good post and I love #10….!

5. eva says:

I read this aloud to my parents who have been married for 32 years. They laughed at every single one and asked “who the f wrote this!? They must never have been married!!”

• Thanks for the comment, Eva. Glad it got them laughing :) I didn't write the list myself, but thought of it more as a guideline for thinking. I've been married 20 years, not all of them bowls of cheeries, and think any or all of these points could diffuse some otherwise nasty situations. Not realistic in all cases. #1 is more of an ideal and as someone who has been married for this long, I viewed many of the others as tongue-in-cheek, wink winky.

6. Hayley Cameron says:

I don’t agree with some of these. For instance, arguments do happen and people need to communicate so talking about things is important (no 10). Also, I used to think never sleep in an argument but it might be needed so you aren’t arguing exhausted, plus things seem different after a night’s sleep. As for winning an argument, if you always let the other ‘win’ them that’s not genuine, it could create resentment inside you and it doesn’t resolve anything or create respect. Thanks.

• Thanks for taking the time to comment, Hayley. I agree… although I can't sleep with a disagreement or miscommunication hanging over my head. Good point about winning an argument. I didn't write the list myself, but thought of it more as a guideline for thinking. I've been married 20 years, not all of them a bowls of cherries, and think any or all of these points could diffuse some otherwise nasty situations. Not realistic in all cases. #1 is more of an ideal and as someone who has been married for this long, I viewed many of the others as tongue-in-cheek, wink winky.

7. Roseanne says:

I think Jenna Marbles is the bomb. She is smart, funny, and honets.

8. Thanks for all the comments about the list. I didn't write it myself, but thought of it more as a guideline for thinking. I've been married 20 years, not all of them a bowl of cheeries, and think any or all of these points could diffuse some otherwise nasty situations. Not realistic in all cases. #1 is more of an ideal and as someone who has been married for this long, I viewed many of the others as tongue-in-cheek.

9. Sara says:

Sorry but #7 is where I lost all interest in your list. Being an introvert with an extroverted husband it is my experience that he often is unable to see anything from my side until the next morning. Even our amazingly incredible couples therapist would disagree with you. Settling a fight isn’t always going to be possible before bed and definitely isn’t always the best option. Often times a person needs to “sleep on it” to really understand what the negative cycle that is going on is all about.

• I hear what you're saying, Sara. In my world, I can't sleep well if something is unresolved. But it's not always realistic (and no rules should contain never or always!) and then it's "let's agree we disagree right now, love ya, talk in the a.m." Appreciate you taking the time to comment! Happy Thanksgiving!

10. [...] for instance the words, “I love you,” or “I’m all in; I’m there for you.” What does it mean when someone says it, but nothing [...]

11. [...] last, getting real about our marital problemss, seeing a therapist, feeling vulnerable, working on the unspoken regrets, resentments and fears I [...]

12. [...] He and I had driven the 2,759 miles through Mexico and Central America during a ‘Summer of Love Tour,” (we respectively like to call it) two years earlier. We arrived, fell in love and accidentally never left. [...]