25 Ways to Get a Man to Break up with You.

Via on Nov 28, 2012

I have always been bad at breaking up with men. Always.

The first time I realized this was when I was in kindergarten and Marvin Leibowitz was carrying my Partridge Family lunchbox for me, again.

I wanted to tell him I no longer wanted to be “going steady,” and besides, I was more interested in another boy who had a shiny Schwinn bicycle and gave girls rides home on his handle bars.

Finally, one day he told me we would not be getting married after all, as Sheila Goldfarb’s mother made much better brownies than mine did.

Always about the food, oy veh!

But enough about me and my non-baking mother.

What about you and the man you want to break up with but don’t have the chutzpah, heart, guts or slightest clue as to “how to do it”?

Well, do I have some tips for you?! Believe me, I have become quite the expert as I have had countless men leave me and they had no idea it was my idea first!

By the way, the following advice can also work for men in reverse, for gay couples, for friends and even for family members you never want to see again.

Here are 25 tips that may work for you.

1. Forget to bathe, for about a month.

2. Wear grandma underwear and maybe even great-grandma underwear, preferably around his friends.

3. Tell him that you have “daddy issues” and that you want to date his dad.

4. Forget his as well as his mother’s birthday.

5. Throw out his favorite T-shirt he’s had since college and say the hot UPS man needed something to clean his windows with.

6. Tell him it’s not that you don’t want to have sex anymore—it’s just that you don’t want to have sex with him.

7. Adopt a lot of cats and become the crazy cat lady of your town.

8. Start babysitting toddlers in your home every night of the week and ask him to change their diapers.

9. Tell him you have decided you are much too thin and that you plan to gain at least 50 pounds over the next six months.

10. Ask him 100 times a day to tell you all of the reasons he loves you, again and again and again.

11. Become BFF’s with his family members, especially the ones he longer wants to talk to himself.

12. Tell him that you want to start seeing other men, preferably men in your neighborhood.

13. Erase everything he has on his DVR and watch “chick shows” while speaking loudly with your girlfriends on the phone. Some good examples might include: The Real Housewives of New Jersey, Dr. Oz and Dr. Phil, Little House on the Prairie, Lifetime movies and anything on the Oprah network

14. Eat all of your meals in bed and make sure they are very messy and that you eat them on his side—Saltine crackers and mashed potatoes with gravy have worked for me.

15. Tell him you have joined a new religion that does not allow any watching of sports, news or anything on The History Channel, particularly the show Man vs. Wild.

16. Insist that he always opens the car door for you, puts the toilet seat down, takes out the garbage, balances your checkbook and takes your mother out for a romantic dinner once a week on his own.

17. Text his friends when he is sleeping and tell them that he is secretly planning to have a sex change operation and that he will need their help.

18. Buy food at a different drive-through every night, serve it on fine china and insist that it is homemade. Taco Bell and Kentucky Fried Chicken are good starters.

19. Wake him up every morning singing to Copacabana by Barry Manilow while you accidentally spill coffee on his laptop, his phone and his collection of signed Pink Floyd albums.

20. Show up unexpectedly at his work and demand to discuss the lack of sex in your relationship.

21.Tell him that your therapist informed you that you were actually Mussolini in a past life.

22. Call fake people in the middle of the night and pretend to be whispering in French and Italian.

23. Cry all the time and tell him that he just doesn’t understand anything about you and that he never will because he is not a woman!

24. Get a tattoo of your old boyfriend’s face and have it inked on your derriere.

25. Inform him that you will not be voting in any future presidential elections because you are 100 percent bi-partisan, bi-coastal, bi-polar bi-lingual, bi-sexual and bi-lateral.

As you can see, I have worked quite hard in getting the ball rolling for the him, her, she, he, she-he, or he-she to want to break up with you.

As for me, don’t feel bad. I have finally found a mensch of a guy who I don’t believe I will ever want to break up with.

At least not so far . . .

I’ll keep y’all posted.

~

Editor: Malin Bergman

Like elephant Love on Facebook.

About Francesca Biller

Francesca Biller is an award-winning investigative journalist and has reported for print, radio and television for nearly twenty years. As a reporter, she has widely covered the issues of politics, the economy, women’s issues, families, race, the media, popular culture, children and a variety of other topical and timely issues. Awards include The Edward R. Murrow award, two Golden Mike awards and four Society of Professional Journalists First Place awards. Currently, she primarily writes political satire, op eds and essays with a focus on women, children, politics and pop culture for various blogs, websites and other media outlets. You can connect with Francesca on twitter @francescabiller and learn more about her at francescabiller.com.

16 Responses to “25 Ways to Get a Man to Break up with You.”

1. cgmyr says:

This is hilarious! Fun read :)

2. Christina says:

This was hilarious! What a fun read :)

3. Cyberquill says:

Sounds more like 25 ways to start a war of the Roses.

4. Tony in Berkeley says:

But you left out the best ones!

- Don't take responsibility for anything – its always his fault.

- Alternate between telling him you are a strong, independent woman and acting like a damsel in distress

- Make him account for every minute while he was out with the guys last night

- Be passive-aggresive

- Have Borderline Personality Disorder and torture him to no end

- Look at the roses he brought you and turn your nose up at them claiming he must have purchased them at the grocery store

- Go to lots of Goddess workshops and tell him he must now worship you

- Constantly criticize him for everything

- Beg to have a baby and promise you'll still work, then have the baby and decide you never want to work again

- Take out all your anger at your Daddy on him – he makes a nice proxy no?

• Janus says:

Venting or not, Tony's actually on to something here… I came to this article expecting (oops) to find a self-help primer of sorts, geared towards women that details the things both big and small that they do to contribute to the erosion of a relationship, with perhaps even a few pointers on how to "not do that."

That, at least, would've been a worthwhile read.

• Vision_Quest2 says:

Your list, Tony, makes a lot more sense to me …

Signed,

My breakups had been mutual

5. Paul says:

Tony……………..It appears you have a lot of anger. Breathe.

6. Arjuna says:

I came here for sattva, and left with tamas.

7. Francesca Biller says:

Hi everyone, I wrote this piece to make you all laugh, seriously! I suffered through a bad relationship without ever finding my voice or speaking up for myself. It is absolutely meant to be a silly article.
    For more serious, contemplative and helpful articles, there are many more of those I have written and will continue to do so. One needs to be able to laugh at themselves and at their situations if one wants to be able to get through life in one "peaceful" piece."
    Like my grandmother always said, "If you can't laugh at yourself, no one will ever take you seriously."

8. Bob Wells says:

Awfully lightweight article.

9. yogi says:

Hi i love this – just absolutely amazing and made my day which has been the shittiest so far ever….so thank you very much. now i do have a strange request….many times we see strangers who we want to or might want to connect with, so i was just wondering if perhaps we could get 50 one liners that would allow us the opportunity to talk to someone without seeming desperate or whatever else.

• Francesca Biller FrancescaBiller says:

Bob Wells,
      Thanks for reading, and yes, this was definitely the most lightweight article I have ever written, but having fun once in awhile, and in spite of ourselves is just what we all need!
      Mazel!

10. Francesca Biller FrancescaBiller says:

Hi Yogi,
    Thanks so much for your comments, and I am thrilled that my silly article made your day less shitty!– in your words:)
    Perhaps I will write an article as you suggested– something that maybe many people might need.
    Happy Holidays!!

• really?? says:

yes pls do…i see gorgeous men eyeing me and vice versa and yet cant get the courage to walk up to them. i was in a relationship for 9 years which has ended now in the worst possible way and has left me with the worst possible feelings – but you know what – despite my yoga and teaching – i still pine for the companionship that has been lost…. not that i want another relationship – but nor do i want to get involved in meaningless trysts.so yes thanks for brightening my share andi did share the content with a friend who's been trying to get rid of a guy from her life… hahahha well lets hope she applies this and it works