Before you start reading, start the music:
Here are five positive quotes about being alone:
1. “Remember: the time you feel lonely is the time you most need to be by yourself. Life’s cruelest irony.”
~ Douglas Coupland, Shampoo Planet
2. “Aloneness is the joy of being just yourself. It is being joyous with yourself, it is enjoying your own company. There are very few people who enjoy their own company. And it is a very strange world: nobody enjoys his company and everybody wants others to enjoy his company! If they don’t enjoy he feels insulted—and alone he feels disgusted with himself. In fact, if you cannot enjoy your own company, who else is going to enjoy it?”
3. “I love to be alone. I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude.”
~ Henry David Thoreau
4. “In order to be open to creativity, one must have the capacity for constructive use of solitude. One must overcome the fear of being alone.”
~ Rollo May
5. “And you should not let yourself be confused in your solitude by the fact that there is something in you that wants to move out of it.”
~ Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet
It’s easy to feel lonely during this time when everyone around us seems to be with others.
Loneliness is the most normal feeling in the world and yet, there seems to be a lot of shame around it. If you’re alone for the holidays, so what? You have the power to translate every experience you have. There’s no need to judge your solitude. That’s when it becomes loneliness. Instead, enjoy it. Surrender to it. Do something positive with it.
Consider this a time to learn something new about yourself.
Get out your art supplies.
Get lost in a novel.
Don’t allow wallowing.
Set new goals.
Contemplate those who are lonelier than you.
Reach out to others.
Volunteer for those in need.
Write a letter to an old friend.
Learn how to be your own friend and do something special for yourself.
Take a bubble bath.
Cook a healthy meal.
Get a massage.
Take a walk and notice nature.
Wake up your senses with plenty of exercise.
Remember, nothing lasts forever.
hot on elephant
The story behind the Elephant-headed God. 306 shares Visual Yoga Blog: Refresh your Eyes the Yoga Way. 159 shares Boomers vs. Millennials: Will We stay the Course or Change It? 363 shares Instead of Sabotaging another Relationship, here’s how to Run into your Fear. 951 shares Join: Elephant’s Winter 2017 Academy. 2 shares The Benching Mind-F*ck: Worse than Ghosting. 1,131 share 5 Ways to Kiss & Make Up for your Mercury Retrograde Mishaps. 494 shares “I’d look her right in that fat, ugly face of hers.” 1,099 share 15 Cool Things Yoga has Taught Me. (Hint: None of them are Handstand.) 2,373 shares How we can Rewrite our Stories after Loving a Narcissist. 1,073 share