12 (+1) Reasons Why Numerology = Nonsense.

Via on Dec 18, 2012

numerology1

Every effing year, for the last 12 years, I’ve put up with this sh*t.

It’s been driving me quietly nuts. Bear in mind that as a therapist / spiritual teacher of sorts / someone who works in this field, I am subjected to inordinate amounts of New Age Fluff.

First they were banging on about the 1st of January 2001. Do you remember what happened on 1.01.01? Me neither!

I guess a lot of people had hangovers?

Next it was the 2.02.02. Hm, what happened on that day? Bit hazy, right?

3.3.03 – You get the picture.

Numerologists must have memories like goldfish! Because every one of these “special days”, when “portals” are supposed to “open into another dimension” turns out to be just another day –

mundane if you focus on the mundane, sacred if you focus on the sacred.

Just another day.

Sh*t happens, then we go to bed.

12.12.12 has just been and gone and guess what – my facebook feed was filled with people rattling on about it. Until it passed and – nothing much out of the ordinary happened!

21.12.12 is coming up and, oh look, apparently that’s when the world will end. Give me strength.

hail and brimstone

Listen up numerologists: numbers are conceptual! The part of your brain that deals with numbers is the same part of the brain that deals with judgement, comparison, and analysis.

Stop conceptualizing everything. Get out of your head. Get real.

Today’s another day – another chance to wake up to the

very real beauty of this wonderful world and really, truly, lovingly relish it.

But if you can’t manage that, be warned: next year is 2013 and there’s no 13th month to fit in to your pretty pattern! Does that mean that nothing special will happen?!

Yeah, hadn’t thought of that now, had you!

Please share this with your numerologist and non-numerologist friends, and maybe we can make 2013 a no-numerology-nonsense year. Maybe…

And feel free to leave a comment – am I being too harsh? Did something special happen on 12.12.12 that I missed? Is the world going to end later this week?!

About Ben Ralston

Ben Ralston almost joined the army when he was 18. When he was 32 he almost became a Swami. *** Now he is a healer, Reference Point Therapy teacher, and advanced Yoga instructor in the Sivananda tradition . His work as a healer acknowledges trauma as the underlying cause of almost all human problems, and resolves trauma at the causal level: gut-based survival instincts. The intention behind all his work is to empower others. *** Ben splits his time between his busy international practice, training therapists, and writing. As an experienced Yoga and Meditation teacher he also runs retreats, usually on the beautiful Croatian coast. *** Connect with Ben on Facebook. Read more of his writing on his new website with integrated blog! Yes, he's excited about that :)

17 Responses to “12 (+1) Reasons Why Numerology = Nonsense.”

1. Eddy says:

Thank you! Glad I'm not the only one who thinks about it this way… And no, I don't think you've missed something on 12-12-12.

2. Korumaze says:

Excellent post – just another day… numbers are conceptual and representative – it's only us humans that put any meaning behind them! I do kinda like it when dates have nice number patterns, though :-) Just for aesthetics sake, mind!

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Yes! It's aesthetically pleasing. I also like to arrange the pens on my desk into a nice symmetrical pattern sometimes. I don't then start to think that it means something :)

3. jim bob says:

um, by the way the most accepted theory with regards to 12, 21 2012 is not the end of the world. In fact there is no indication of this what so ever except by mis informed followers… it is funny to read this rant when you obviously have done little to no research into what 2012 is supposed to represent and what the Mayans where indicating. It is the beginning of a new cycle and not the end of the world lol… what does this mean? who knows. but it is interesting to note that the alignment of stars as described by the Mayans that will occur on the 21st is one that happens only every 26000 years. now that is rather interesting and could be significant. but regardless it is amazing the Mayans could foresee this planetary alignment so far into the future with no modern technology. also it seems irresponsible to discredit numerologists , psychics or other seemingly fraudulent professions when there is a lot that we do not know about and can't explain. I'd say it is not something that can be discounted. just like writers there are those that are legit and some that are sub par… i do like your message "very real beauty of this wonderful world and really, truly, lovingly relish it." you say however to wake up? i would invite you to open your heart and mind that that which is possible and not discount things that you are not informed about… all the best, cheers

• Timmy_Robins says:

Well, if you check out the section on 21-12-12 on Nasa's webpage you will discover that no significant planetary alignment will occur that day. So maybe you should check your facts too.

"also it seems irresponsible to discredit numerologists , psychics or other seemingly fraudulent professions when there is a lot that we do not know about and can't explain. I'd say it is not something that can be discounted"

There are definitely gaps in our understanding of the world but filling them with pseudo science and fantastic stories that explain nothing is not very helpful.

• Rob says:

There is no special alignment happening on 12-21-12. I love Neil Degrasse Tyson's explanation — http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ldflrUD4qQ

• paul says:

planets are not what is supposed to align, rather the equinoxes of the galaxy and the sun (from Earth's perspective). this idea is an addon to the mayan thought and long-count calendar, and that the galaxy has some sort of discernible centerline is pretty doubtful, but a fun thought anyway.

i advise avoiding all the degrasse tyson one can- he is a fount bullshit and trying to fan his fame by spreading ignorance and hype for what is a celebration- despite being human, we made it!

4. DaveTelf says:

While i agree that people overhype the repeating number days, that is no reason to poo-poo the system of numerology as a whole. The fact is we are surrounded by numbers. Our reality is for the most part encoded into numbers, and numerology is how we understand the energetics of how these numbers affect us.

Spazzing out about a Gregorian date that looks cool when you write it down is not a numerological practice. I might recommend some basic research into what numerology is actually about before your next content-less, complaint-laden piece.

I generally love your writing!

• Timmy_Robins says:

"As with astrology, there will always be ignorant charlatans who misuse the information, or take one snippet out of context and make a big stupid thing about it, but that's no reason to completely dismiss a precise science that's been practiced for thousands of years. "

Except it is not a science but a pseudoscience and the fact that it has been practiced for thousands of years doesnt change that.

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Hi Dave, you're right, I didn't research numerology much. This is really just about the (I like the way you put it): "Spazzing out about a Gregorian date that looks cool when you write it down".
      I'm personally against any kind of practices that attempt to predict the future though. Right now, on the 19th December 2012 we don't need to predict the future. We need to remember how to be present. And my rant was really all about that. Also, it was meant to be funny, but might have missed the mark :)

5. braelyn says:

12/12/12 was World Hoop Day! :D

6. [...] all the hype and talk surrounding 12/12/12, the end of the world, and recent events I think it is a most auspicious time to look within and make a [...]

7. Raji says:

Ben! I love your spark…your pizazz, nice! I am a professional numerologist and am totally real, out of my head, so not new agey poo pooey…..and using the vibration of numbers is a pretty sweet and accurate way of gaining insight. Have you had a reading. How bout I offer you a reading…and you can make a decision from there and then share if you still think we should all shut the well, front door. No predicting the future…only skills to help navigate and strategize. peace!!!

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Hi Raji!
      Thank you, and I like the way you describe it – using the vibration of numbers. I'd take you up on your offer but can't get to your website. Email me?
      Ben

8. Backuel says:

No, no Ben don't do it, it'll be the end of us all