A List of Gluten, Dairy, Egg and Tree Nut Free Foods
By the time my son was five he was formally diagnosed with an arsenal of food allergies.
I suspected wheat as early as six months old. By nine months I confirmed wheat and by age two both tree nuts and eggs.
His allergic reactions have been severe with hives, lip swelling, vomiting and breathing difficulties. As our awareness of his food allergies became our new norm, his allergic episodes diminished greatly.
Normal changes frequently in our household and we have learned to go with the flow.
There’s finally a level of acceptance.
Here’s our go-to list for wheat-gluten-dairy-egg and tree nut free foods.
- Enjoy Life Gluten Free Rice Milk Chocolate (www.enjoylifefoods.com) This is a yummy chocolate treat that is also soy free.
- EnerG Sesame Pretzel Rings (www.ener-g.com) These are casein and lactose free as well.
- Amy’s Lentil Soup (www.Amys.com). This soup is delicious and filling. It compliments a baked potato or toasted wheat-free garlic bread.
- Wheatless in Seattle Hamburger Buns (www.wheatlessinseattle.net). These are also vegan, soy and rice free. I add a veggie burger to these or drizzle, olive oil and sprinkle garlic powder to make toasted garlic bread.
- Amy’s Bistro Burger (www.Amys.com). A veggie burger made with organic rice. It has texture and good flavor. It’s not trying to compete or mimic a beef burger. I add an avocado slice, tomatoes, pickles and ketchup with a side of baked French fries.
- Van’s Natural Foods French Toast Sticks (www.facebook.com/vansfoods). I serve this with warm maple syrup. It is a welcomed break from the mundane breakfast ritual.
- Trader Joe’s Brown Rice Tortillas, Sandwich Bread and Original Savory Thins (crackers). These three items are a staple at our house. Here’s an easy to make meal or snack: Fill the brown rice tortilla wrap with avocadoes and tomatoes slices. Add some heated lentils and drizzle olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste…yum.
- Tinkyada Pasta Joy Spaghetti Style White Rice Pasta (www.ricepasta.com). This pasta has excellent texture and flavor. First, I sauté onions in canola oil and then add cubed tempeh. Last I add tomato sauce. I also toast in the broiler a Wheatless in Seattle hamburger bun drizzled with olive oil and garlic.
Editor: Maja Despot
Like elephant Food on Facebook.
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 1,414 share Learn to Rock your Social Media & Write Mindfully with Waylon Lewis & Elephant’s Editors. 5 shares 2017 is The Year of Kali, Goddess of Endings & Beginnings. 26,522 shares If you Love her, Don’t Destroy Her. 17,652 shares The Best Marriage Advice from a Divorced Woman. 2,091 shares How to Disentangle ourselves from Karmic Relationships that Drive us Crazy. 165 shares The True Meaning of Friday the 13th (isn’t what we think). 5,270 shares The Technique that helps me make Decisions under Pressure (& has Saved my Life More than Once). 494 shares The 6 Best Spiritual Teachings of Wayne Dyer to help us Get Over Ourselves. 1,886 share Use This Buddhist Practice to Overcome Self-Doubt. 435 shares