There’s a Full Moon, Tonight.

Via on Feb 25, 2013

Full Moon Meditation

There’s a full moon tonight.

Of course, I didn’t have to see the glowing orb overhead to know this. My body told me.

I’ve been in one of those loony moods.

Touch me! Get your hands off me!

I have a million things to say! I can’t write a single word!

I need you, now! Get away from me, now!

In many ways, my life—and my husband’s life—will be easier when this period passes. And yet I sense great transformational potential at this time of the lunar cycle.

That’s part of what makes me crazy. I know amazing things could and should be happening but instead, I’m twisted up in angst and aggravation.

Things come to a head during a full moon; I suspect it’s because the wisdom of the body takes the reins. Suppressed feelings burst out. Tension makes us snap like twigs. Our body has had it with the emotional hide-and-seek we play.

Some of us break down, precipitating the need to rebuild on a new foundation. Sometimes that’s necessary. But monthly disintegration doesn’t serve.

So how can we harness the power of the moon for growth and renewal?

Here are a few ideas:

1.      Practice yoga

I know, some lineages discourage practice during a full moon. But I crave it more than ever. If you’re not taking the time to explore your body for hidden tension, it will find its expression now. Recommit to a regular practice of release as a buffer against the pull of the emotional tides.

2.      Seek support

This is a wonderful time to connect with the people with whom you can be yourself. You know, the ones to whom you can admit, “I’m feeling like a complete lunatic” and they just nod in understanding rather than run away. If you don’t have people like that in your life right now, consider seeing a counselor or other professional. Everyone needs a release valve.

3.      Try something new

Don’t quit your day job and run off to Hollywood today. But maybe take a minor risk and be a little adventurous. Let the extra light reveal hidden aspects of yourself. Stay grounded but stretch your limits. Do something brave and be proud.

4.      Express yourself

Use the moon as a source of inspiration. If you like to write, write about the effects of the moon or pen a story with a full moon as the backdrop. If you make visual art, create something amazing with your hands. Dance, sing, shake or roar. Just let it out.

5.      Embrace the dark side

It’s ironic, but the light of the moon can illuminate the shadow side of our personalities. That’s uncomfortable but a necessary part of becoming a healthier, more integrated person. So, acknowledge your mania, rage, jealousy or restlessness. Welcome these intense emotions to the full spectrum of your experience as a living, breathing creature. Chances are, the negative feelings will lose their luster once they get some attention and appreciation.

If all else fails, remember that this, too, shall pass.

Until it cycles back again on March 27th.

Like elephant journal on Facebook.

Ed: Brianna Bemel

About Amy Taylor

Amy Taylor writes about parenting, yoga and other journeys for jconline.com, GaiamTV, elephant journal and others. Find her biweekly columns here. She completed 200-hour YTT at CITYOGA in Indianapolis in 2008 and teaches classes for all ages at  Community Yoga. When she's not writing or practicing yoga, Amy loves to read, research and have adventures with her husband and twin sons. Follow her on Twitter.

10 Responses to “There’s a Full Moon, Tonight.”

1. Mark says:

My sleep patterns are directly affected by the moon cycle; I can almost tell the percentage of fullness by the way I do or do not sleep

2. Vince says:

This is the day to start a new mantra discipline! Brand new moon, the best of all beginnings! 40 days of your favorite mantra will change your life.

3. someone says:

I definitely feel it. The mania. More change has hit me in the past 3 months than i feel that i can handle, similarly in the past 3yrs. Adrenal exhaustion caused an allergy that now no medication works to treat. I suffer edema and anaphylaxis. The trigger is not known and I’ve been to 5 doctors. But now I’m poor and don’t have health ins. My tongue has swelled up more than 20 times in my sleep since the holidays. I go to bed wondering if I’ll wake. This combined with a bad break up, my career seeming shot, being 40 and excessively lonely, all in the wake of losing my house and so much more, I put a gun in my mouth last night.

My 14 yr old dog looked panicked. I couldn’t pull the trigger the rest of the way. I know i could kill myself but that would kill him, i can’t do that. So i went to bed.

This evening i looked at face book for anything. I found this. i find some of this to be common advice, exercise, meditation, etc. but it was timed well. And the part about embrace the dark side, its necessary, to exorcise your demons and not entertain them. But the closing, that this will pass, is what i want to thank you for. And thank you for hearing this. I don’t wish this burden on you, i hope you can understand you’re reaching some people. It helped me. That and I have nobody to tell this to, it helped to get this out.

• debate4lori says:

Dear Someone. Being in many of the situations that you mentioned here, I can truly say that I know what you're going through and it is a very tough spot to be in. I don't have the answers but I do want you to know that you are not alone. We are all in this together, being tossed about in an ever changing ocean. On some days we offer our breath to our friends (two or four legged), or family to keep them afloat and some days, even though sometimes difficult to find, we can rest knowing someone has shared their life vest with us. The tide will turn friend, so hang in there and someone eventually will be at your side giving you that breath. Prayers, love and peace to you always.
      Lori

• Without wanting to give into cliches, please know that it's all temporary. The good stuff, the bad stuff—it all passes. I could link you some other corny post or quote, but I won't do that. The truth is, I know that feeling. I know how it feels to only be able to see the dark of where you are, to feel stuck in the middle of winter, like there's never going to be a spring.

I'm glad that this touched you, even a little. I believe that any of us that are intelligent, that truly examine life and are sensitive, care deeply, feel these things sometimes. But please, don't get caught up in that myth that we're all alone. We are so much more connected than separate. The very fact that you were able to put your thoughts out here is keeping you from being alone.

If you get to that place again, please call someone for help. And if there's no one you can reach out to, email me.

Kate@elephantjournal.com

All of what you've been through must make you incredibly compassionate to others who are in pain. The world is a more beautiful place with people like you in it.

Have a peaceful night.

With love,
      Kate

4. Bryonie Wise laydowninthetallgrass says:

Dear Someone,

Am I ever grateful that these words found their way into your heart, because you are valuable being and the world is a better place because you are in it.

Please know that you are not alone—just as both Lori and Kate have said and I will say it again: You are not alone.

We hear you and we see you.

Sending you much love,

Bryonie

5. Amy says:

I am grateful for these supportive comments and glad you found a glimmer of hope in my words. I believe you only saw it because it's actually within you.

One more resource…the newest edition of Yoga Journal has a lovely article about RAIN, a technique for dealing with painful and overwhelming emotions. Reading it last night, I felt it might be the path that will enable me to give myself the love, compassion and understanding I crave. Perhaps it would resonate with you, too. The public library should carry a copy or message me at my Twitter address below and I will mail you mine. I tried to find it on the site without success although I'm sure you could find other resources on the topic. This one just spoke to me in a new way…or maybe I was just finally ready to hear it.

Peace,

Amy

• Jillian Locke Jillian says:

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful insights! And thank you so much for this sentence:

"I believe you only saw it because it's actually within you."

That's the amazing truth <3

6. Jillian Locke Jillian says:

This article so beautifully encapsulates all of the emotions, mind frames, challenges and dark sides that can arise during the full moon. I feel that this one, this powerful Virgo full moon, is a POWER MOON. I recently read that the Native Americans used to call it the Hunger Moon because of the time of year and how sparse food was in the dead of winter.

HOWEVER.

This full moon is poignantly bringing us back to our core, our deepest of deepests to sort out some of the gnarlier gnarlies. I know I've been losing my mind over the past week – extreme highs and lows, forcing me to remind myself to ground, center, rein my power back in rather than send it out carelessly. This moon is not just suggesting, but demanding that we look within, face everything we've been stuffing down deep and clear it out so that this new paradigm we're creating can have a clean, decluttered and bright foundation to work with.

THIS is not light work. I want to offer this quote from Stephen King~

"You can approach the act of writing with nervousness, excitement, hopefulness, or even despair … You can come to the act with your fists clenched and your eyes narrowed, ready to kick ass and take down names. You can come to it because you want a girl to marry you or because you want to change the world. Come to it any way but lightly. Let me say it again: you must not come lightly to the blank page."

You must not come lightly to the darkness – let the bright light of the Full Moon light the way for you. Let it hold a lantern to your inner caverns and show all the beauty and all of the gems that have been waiting, patiently, to be discovered. Let it show you that all the monsters you feared lurking in the corners weren't monsters at all, but just different versions of yourself, waiting to be revealed, nurtured and understood.

And above all, approach ALL of this with compassion – compassion for yourself as you continue your journey, and compassion for others as they find their way.

*Gratitude*!!!