Top 10 Local & Green Dining Spots in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Bonus: update: Steve a’Reno’s is serving breakfast and lunch. Locally cured ham, locally-roasted direct trade coffee, baked goods right in the kitchen, free range eggs, Saturady and Sundays come for the Huevos Rancheros.
I always go to the Wooden Monkey (every time I’m there I get my mom enough gift certificates to last a year, it’s a business worth supporting and enjoying, and my mom wouldn’t eat out ever otherwise). Once, I went to Heartwood, and loved it (it’s very hippie, style-wise, but great food). And of course I’ve loved the Farmers’ Markets over the years, but I’m not here on the weekend, this time.
So this year, I wanted a few more options—especially after walking around the first night and paying $75 for a bunch of white pasta, white bread, and a menu that (awesome) mentioned vegetarian options…that (not so awesome) counted seafood as vegetarian. ~ ed.
So I asked Halifax Reddit. Where’s good to eat in Halifax that supports local, farm-to-table?
Here’s their suggestions. All quotes are via Redditors unless otherwise noted.
1. Wooden Monkey.
2. Chives. They make a point of using local ingredients and Nova Scotian wines. One of my favourite restaurants in town. [Editor’s note: nothing vegan, but amazing menu for others]
3. Coastal Cafe and most of the burger joints popping up (Ace and Cheese Curds come to mind). [Editor’s note: breakfast/lunch only for CC]
4. Elements on Hollis (inside the Westin) has one of the best dining concepts I’ve seen in years. They won’t buy anything if it’s not from Nova Scotia.
5. Check out the Garden of Eat’n on Quinpool. Great Acadian/Lebanese foods.
6. Edible Matters. (902) 446-5588
7. the aforementioned… “Go to the Farmers Market on the weekend and eat at Selwood Green! They own a farm, and sell their harvest as well as cook with it.”
8. Fid on Dresden Row. The menu is never the same, because they cook with whatever they can get locally at the time.
9. Boneheads BBQ
10. The Armview [Ed’s note: breakfast/lunch only] on the roundabout offers a lot of locally produced fare. I don’t think everything they serve is, but certainly meats and plenty of vegetables. I also noted that Flipburger in Clayton Park sources their burgers from Oulton’s.
Click here to see if Reddit Halifax has offered any new suggestions.
hot on elephant
The story behind the Elephant-headed God. 390 shares Visual Yoga Blog: Refresh your Eyes the Yoga Way. 171 shares Boomers vs. Millennials: Will We stay the Course or Change It? 398 shares Instead of Sabotaging another Relationship, here’s how to Run into your Fear. 1,011 share Join: Elephant’s Winter 2017 Academy. 12 shares September’s Black Moon: The Rare, Powerful, Feminine Goddess Lilith. 20,250 shares Will & Grace are Back after 10 years & it’s the Funniest 10 minutes of Election Commentary Ever. 13,471 shares The Benching Mind-F*ck: Worse than Ghosting. 1,835 share The Fourth Kind of Love. 2,428 shares October Energy Forecast: Prepare for Limitless, Unconditional Love. 6,892 shares