When a Queen Bee Zaps Your Ass-Ana.

Via on Mar 6, 2013

mean popular girls 2

I will never forget the day the ballerina came to teach yoga at my local studio.

She did not actually walk into the building. She kind of sailed in on tiptoe, then with arms overhead she did a pirouette and landed at the front desk.

Entrances were her thing.

Within two weeks the ballerina had taken over the schedule teaching more than 20 classes a week, including mine. It happened so fast that I didn’t even notice it. At first, I needed a sub. Then she offered to teach my class for the summer, which is hard for working moms. Then, I was out of a class.

“But everyone loves the ballerina,” my manager said when I mentioned that she was teaching four classes a day and maybe the students wanted to practice yoga with alignment.

Then, one day, I must have said something like “OMG” or “Fabulous,” and that’s when the Universe pulled back the curtain to reveal the tiny woman at the controls.

“Oh you should hear the ballerina’s imitation of you saying that exact thing,” my manager said. “It’s sooooo funny!”

That is how I realized had been stung not by a prima donna, but by a Queen Bee.

The term “Queen Bee” was coined in the 70s after an article in Psychology Today noted that women who achieved success were often likely to block the rise of other women. Go figure. It turns out that after fighting the men to get to the top, we are the first to eat our own.

Queen Bees are vicious, and sneaky. They do not do their dirty work to your face. They do not say, “Please fix this report.” They whisper behind your back. They may say you are stealing when you are not. Or, they make fun of you with a wicked imitation.

In yoga, Queen Bees are everywhere. Those new to teaching yoga might think it is all love and light in the studios, but in fact, it is more like “Survivor.” The last one standing gets to teach.

Unfortunately, I never learned how to fight the Queen Bee. I went to a small high school (less than 100 students in all) and so I do not recall ever having encountered female hostility. With only 10 other women in my grade, we worked together.

To contrast, in 2011 a study of 1,000 working women by the American Management Association revealed that 95% of them thought they had been undermined by another woman. If they had surveyed the yoga business, I bet 100% would have answered yes.

So when I whined that this younger, pretty ballerina had ousted me from my class, my husband gave me the ‘Marchildon pep talk.’

“Fight back,” he said. But how?

Here are ways to know if a Queen Bee is buzzing around your studio:

• She tells you one day, “Gosh those pants make your butt look big!”
  • Longtime yoga teachers are being moved off the schedule to make way for a “fresh approach.” It’s a 2,000 year old practice, right?
  • While others worry, the Queen Bee is calm. It is never her fault. When you confront her, she smiles radiantly to say, “I have no idea what you are talking about. But maybe you should consider retiring?”
  • She is teaching every class in a desirable time. Yet she graciously offers you the Saturday night slot because “It is just too much for me right now.”

If this is happening to you do not worry. Karma will often do the trick if you cannot. In the meantime, you can speak to others in the studio in an open and non-hostile way about what is happening. If Queen Bees work in the dark, then you need to shed light on their behavior.

Then you can try this: One day I did a pirouette into the studio, announced to my students that for a change we were going to practice yoga instead of ballet, and she was gone two weeks later.

It turns out exits were her thing as well.

Like elephant yoga on Facebook.

Ed: Kate Bartolotta

About Michelle Marchildon

Michelle Berman Marchildon is the Yogi Muse. She’s an award-winning journalist, and the author of Finding More on the Mat: How I Grew Better, Wiser and Stronger through Yoga. Her second book, Theme Weaver: Connect the Power of Inspiration to Teaching Yoga, is for yoga teachers who want to inspire their students. Michelle is a columnist for elephant journal and Origin Magazine and a contributor to Teachasana, My Yoga Online and Yoga Journal. She is an E-RYT 500 with Yoga Alliance and teaches in Denver, Co where she is busy raising two boys, two dogs and one husband. You can follow her on Facebook at Michelle Marchildon, The Yogi Muse. You can find her blog and website at www.YogiMuse.com. And you can take her classes on www.yogadownload.com.

Elephriends - Mindful Partners

190x1902-EJ-clothing

56 Responses to “When a Queen Bee Zaps Your Ass-Ana.”

1. Paula Reeves-Carrasquillo says:

The narcissist as a Queen Bee yoga teacher! They don't hang around long. They get bored after the adoration fades and people suddenly are "on to them." Their supply runs dry, because It's difficult to fool active yogis. These types are everywhere, as noted, but truly out-of-place in a yoga studio or anywhere mindful exchanges are respected and expected as the norm. Great story.

• Michelle Marchildon says:

I had not thought of her as a narcissist, but you are right. She didn't hang around long after the adoration faded.

2. FM says:

Perhaps you should have gotten to know this ballerina. Perhaps you would have seen the joy that teaching yoga gave her and others. Instead you only see what she took from you and then decide to write an incredibly mean piece about what she did to you. She didn’t do anything TO you. She took her own life into her own hands and created a hopeful new future. Perhaps you are upset that she took a some of your classes, but we all have to fight for survival and the ability to pay our bills, so perhaps you should have gotten to know this beautiful person before you write such terrible things about what a “Queen Bee” she is. I know a few dancers gone yoga teacher and they have a body knowledge and connection with their body that very few have. A knowledge that many people, including myself, can learn from.

• Vision_Quest2 says:

There are forms of dance more conscious, aware, liberated and liberal (and without the comparisons and the youthful agony, pathos and angst) than ballet is … now, give me a yoga teacher who was one of THOSE kinds of dancers …

3. Ursula says:

I'm with you on this one… I don't always agree with you but always enjoy to read.
    I've met that manipulative model-ballerina-gymnast that when she realized she wasn't going to become the most famous model-ballerina-gymnast went int lulu lemon bought herself a yoga-suit, took one of those express 50hour TT and since is bendy and strong and has good ass-ana (altogether) fools people into believing she's better at yoga than all the rest in the studio or in town.
    But I've also met the yogin who looks like pulled out of a yoga journal ad (the fancy not the hippy ones) fools me into thinking that she's a mean and deadly Queen Bee and turns out to be the sweetest wholesomest person I've met in a long time.
    The thing is, its hard to tell until you open yourself to them and then either get stung or find a friend…
    I'm not that new to teaching anymore, I know its a jungle out there, I still hold the secret hope of things being all love and light in my relationships with other yoga professionals but have found that when they're not those people end up really teaching me about yoga.
    What I do with their lesson is my choice.

4. Puck says:

Dear Michelle
    I highly suggest you read The Four Agreements written by Don Miguel Ruiz. It seems as though you may be taking some issues personally that may have nothing to do with you as a person.
    Have you had a real conversation and gotten to really know this person before passing such harsh judgements? Or is this aricle just a product of trying to find something juicy to write about?

• Michelle Marchildon says:

Dear Puck,
      I don't believe it had anything to do with me at all. I just happened to be one of the many people affected. I think when Queen Bees behave in certain ways, it is all about them. I just happened to be in the way.

5. Sonyata says:

There are a lot of young and pretty girls teaching in the yoga studios. There are a lot of teachers with dancing backgrounds as well. Honestly, my body gets tired of classes with dancers. Their bodies move differently than mine.

The best classes for me are sort of “boxy” I guess. Straight forward, sun and moon salutes, standing warrior, balancing, plenty of sitting and reclining poses. Dancers tend to flow around a lot into this graceful stuff that doesn’t work well with my body.

The worse classes for me are the ones where the instructor starts talking from the first breath, and doesn’t stop talking until savasana. Every pose has a million micro adjustments, and every transition is some dance movement. It is like playing a game of twister, and I honestly don’t like to have to concentrate so hard to figure out what my body is supposed to be doing. I don’t like having to hang on every word of the instructor while trying to keep my inner focus.

Please, give me the name of the pose, the breath, and one adjustment. And then let me breath and meditate in the pose.

Add Yoga Sutra and Sanskrit for spice. I love the yoga philosophy stuff. So what I am saying is that the best classes for me are generally from older, more experienced teachers, and sometimes even male teachers :)

• Vision_Quest2 says:

Yes, bring on the boxiness of Baptiste Power Yoga, Yogilates; forgiving, mild gym-style yoga (I'm talking about you, YogaFit), Eischens Yoga (I guess) … there is a lot to be said about "the box"

Joseph Pilates knew ALL about the hip-width "box" … and he'd trained/therapized dancers. For their INJURIES.

• fragginfraggin says:

…Even male teachers. Nice.

6. Gracie Jenson says:

For someone who practices Yoga- your post is shameful. People have feelings- and you have done nothing but made yourself look bitter and jealous, and put someone else down in the process. Shouldn't you be all about Karma? Maybe instead of being bitter, you should face the facts that maybe she got your classes because she was a better teacher than you..

7. Michelle Marchildon says:

I wanted to point out that a trend realized since 1974 in the business world was also happening in the yoga world. That we are human and therefore subject to human behavoirs. That it was interesting and many people experienced the Queen Bee syndrome. This is not about me. At all. It's not even about her as she has long since left the area where I work. It's about how women interact with each other in business. To focus on the relationship between me and this yogi is beside the point. This happened years ago. The conversation should be about how women treat each other in yoga and in business. But I understand that is is much more interesting to delve into a gossipy thing about who is a narcissist rather than addressing the complex relationships between women and work. I was hoping to raise the conversation. I will keep trying.

• Vision_Quest2 says:

The "Queen Bee"–literally, as I'd tag-named her as such–had been a recurring "character" in my blogs. Until–young, fresh out of college – and a ballet student for two decades when she'd entered the yoga world–she realized she was more suited for her first love, finance.

This is someone who, with no, say, Wall Street experience–had been "born" with the political stance, built-in.

• Jessica says:

If you want to "raise the conversation", you might start with a narrative framework that seeks to lift people up. Otherwise, you're doomed to fail.

• Vision_Quest2 says:

Only a great amount of time and distance from the story will give you that degree of objectivity in writing.
        To get the true reaction, as a reader, one has to read between the lines, and see beyond the hurt.
        It also pays to have been there, too.
        Although I've never been there, myself (I don't teach yoga), I could project myself into the situation, having had a Queen Bee as a teacher, and blogging about that.
        Never underestimate the presence of the Queen Bee's effect on us mere students:
        Queen Bees play favorites, they keep their cards very close to their chests (however physically open their chests may be), they will cut students (who are paying clients and SHOULD BE THE BOSS) a raw deal, they don't care if you don't want to give them much business (they are too blunt); on the other hand, they will be overly encouraging (if they see raw profit in doing so) …
        The irony is, they won't be obvious–they won't really "show off" with postures outside of class, they will talk up the philosophy a great deal (hiding behind it, as it were), and be relatively beginner-friendly, such as it is–they don't retain students even if they seem to–the community learns to stick together because they know will not be getting emotional support from that teacher [I think this last point is a notable saving grace and is actually a GOOD THING!] …

8. Michelle Marchildon says:

I want to have a serious conversation about female relationships in the workplace, so perhaps let's keep the petty finger pointing to a minimum in these comments.

• TwoCents says:

Well the conversation starts with your posts – that is what we are all responding to! But it is interesting to see you turn it around as if a commenter has control over how a conversation you started (by petty finger pointing, I might add…) takes shape, rather than acknowledging that you could have been more diplomatic in how you engaged your readers in this important conversation.

9. Elizabeth says:

This article is not about the relationships bt females in the workplace. Nowhere do you take this into social commentary. It could have been a great article if you did that. Instead, you talk about how you turned into the queen bee by coming into your yoga class and making fun of her.

10. Paula Reeves-Carrasquillo says:

What she did suggest is that, as women, we need to be aware and alerted to the possibility of the women in the workplace who "show up" for themselves and no one else. These types can undermine our previously established work selves and have the power to push us out. It seems clear to me, from what Michelle shared, that this particular ballerina swooped in to take and not give. She took over as many classes as she could in order to get enough teaching experience under her belt as fast as she could. There was obviously no interest in relationship-building on the ballerina's part. (You can say that Michelle lacked that interest also, but perhaps the ballerina didn't give off that "open" vibe.)

11. Paula Reeves-Carrasquillo says:

Regardless if you liked her illustration or not, it remains clear that many women in the workplace lack the confidence it takes to treat other women with care and respect without fearing their position is in jeopardy. Is that a woman's fault or is it the nature of competitive workplaces? After all, women generally aren't wired for competition. We are wired to nurture and be compassionate. I think Michelle's desire to be nurturing and compassionate was compromised by the nature of the ballerina's motivation to be in the yoga studio in the first place, which placed Michelle in a defensive, unnatural position. But that's how I read the story…

• Paula Reeves-Carrasquillo says:

As a writer and contributer myself, I may be bias to support Michelle. In order to illustrate an idea or concept, writers often take something from their actual experience. Michelle has done that with this piece, but clearly not as cleanly as some would like. I thought she was effective enough.

One thing is clear, regardless of whether we are new to yoga or have been practicing for years, no yogini is perfect nor do they have perfect patience with themselves or others. Michelle shared her expereince which simply relates to a topic that many of us have probably experienced, too. I don't think she intended that ALL ballerinas who come to yoga are Queen Bees. (I would consider myself first trained as a ballerina. Now I practice yoga. I took no offense to it and don't think my long-time balerina friends would, either.)

• Vision_Quest2 says:

If the ballerina actually and already had success as a prima ballerina or choreographer/artistic director… don't you think that they've already proven themselves, and don't have to be a Queen Bee if they enter into teaching yoga … ?

Just a thought.

• Paula Reeves-Carrasquillo says:

The stage is a completely different place than a yoga room. If the ballerina really liked herself, she wouldn't have had to prove anything. No one cares where you come from. All we care about is who you are now. (i.e. Are you respectful and careful). And if we teach yoga, shouldn't we also practice it, too? (i.e. being in the moment, letting go of ego).

12. Michelle Marchildon says:

There a lot of ballerinas who now teach yoga. That is a natural career path it seems. I was only speaking of my experience with one person, not an entire genre. And it was just to illustrate a phenomenon of women not supporting each other in business. She could have been a construction worker, or a marketing director, but she happened to be a dancer.

13. Sphjr says:

“The conversation should be about how women treat each other in yoga and in business.”

And yet your post treated the ballerina as meanly as {you say) she treated others; you engage and prolong the very conversation you decry. You had her all figured out, right down to the last pirouette that you brought into your own class; seems entrances are your thing, too. There was no attempt to understand the other, to put yourself in her breath and her body and connect with her. Most importantly, there was no attempt to engage in the real conversation, that we all need to hear and understand and engage: how what we perceive in others really reflects what we can’t or won’t see in ourselves. So we fight back, instead of looking deeper into and connecting with and changing ourselves. When you write that conversation, I will read. When you teach that alignment, I will attend your class. Until then, you fought the queen bee by becoming one, instead of being the change and offering a true example of how everyone, men and women, should be in this world.

14. Michelle Marchildon says:

I am going to think about that. Thank you. I was a true example of all you speak for that past 3 years. I held my head up and taught what I know. I thought this was long behind us and I only used it as an example, anonymously, of women in the workplace.

15. fragginfraggin says:

I like ballerinas, bitches and queen bees… and regular people too.

16. Michelle Marchildon says:

To be clear, in this blog I was speaking about a situation that occurred many years ago as an example. I never named this person. I never identified her or the studio or anything that could be connected with her. The fact that there is a person who is claiming to be this ballerina, and who has embellished what I said about her to gain sympathy, and is now using it to show that she continues to be the victim is well, interesting. I will continue to guard the real ballerina's privacy, as I believe she is sorry although she has never said as much. And thank you to the many who have contacted me to say they appreciated the blog as an example of female undermining in the workplace.

17. JKF says:

Why would the writer even right about this so "queen bee-ly", if this occured so long ago? It sounds to me that the writter is still hurt by the demotion in her classes. Could it be that maybe the writter teaches her classes as bossy and cut throat as she writes? Clearly- people see through writting, what do you suppose they see in person. I would much rather go to a mediocre yoga teachers class who was a balanced and spiritually healthy individual, than go to a phenomenal yoga teacher, who has a chip on her shoulder and has issues with not being the queen bee. I'd much rather go to a YOGA class, where the teacher practices what she preaches. Clearly, this teacher only practices the physical asanas, and probably focuses how great a yogi is by how experienced physically the practictioner can be (ie, can go into those really in depth, hard poses). Instead, a true experienced yogi, is not focused on the postures and can be the most physically incapable yogi there, but I bet they lead with an open heart and mind in their lives, and know how to truely deepen their practice within their own body, mind, and breath.

18. JKF says:

I say to this reader, lose your chip, humble yourself, get rid of that nasty ego that I see in so many of her articles. Be a true yogi. Read your sutras, the yamas and nyamas. Remember, your readers and students can spot a fake from far away, your true colors always become revealed. Maybe that is why this other Yoga teacher was perferred. How is the attendance in your classes now? Have you noticed the numbers dwindaling? Maybe it's time to work on you- and not the issues within the "competetive queen bee yoga" society. Why feel the need to compete? mmmm… unless you yourself can't take not being in the spotlight. Harsh- but hey- you really need to hear it and you really need to wake up.

19. Liana says:

I think this is a missed opportunity to really talk about how women treat each other.

Michelle, I know you have said that your intention was to start a dialogue, but the article doesn't come off that way. It comes off as being very much about you, the ballerina and your story. I never would have guessed that this story was merely an example. The way you've written the article makes it all about you, what a bitch she was a how you got rid of her.

I also feel confused. On the one hand you're saying that Queen Bees are bad, that women should stick together, that most women have felt undermined by another. And then you end the article by telling us how you made a snarky comment to your class and that that seemed to make her leave. This strikes me as being somewhat hypocritical and I can't help but imagine that somewhere there is a ballerina telling a similar sob story in which a Queen Bee yoga teacher at a studio takes the piss out of her to a class and mocks, belittles and undermines what she'd been teaching.

But really, it's not my intention to knock what you wrote; everyone loves a good rant. But it was so not obvious that was a social commentary, and I'm wondering if you're playing the 'I wanted to start a discussion' card now that people are criticising what you wrote.

For me, to make it more of a conversation with less of a 'the Queen Bee was mean to me and here's how I showed her' story, I would like to know about other people who faced this. About different ways that this can be addressed. About what leads women to compete against each other, and ideas about how we can work together and change the structure so that rather than competing we can start cooperating.

• Liana says:

Also, why no accountability for the manager who listened to the ballerina's impression of you and said it was funny? That sounds like another example of women (I'm guessing the manager was a woman. Actually even if the manager were a man, still not cool!) bitching about each other. I think you've fixated on the ballerina and not taken into account that were other factors in play.

20. Kyle says:

This post was wildly uncalled for. The point about Queen Bee syndrome is totally valid, and it does happen. But the absolute character assassination of the Ballerina is inexcusable, and reads as a vendetta. This article is not about female relationships in the workplace whatsoever. Michelle, if you claim the "I never named names or studios" route in your responses to everyone's backlash, then you shouldn't have used such an overly descriptive opening, knowing full well that the yoga community is a very close-knit group of people, and this person that you seem to have no compassion for would be notified sooner or later.

Perhaps considering the feelings of the people you write about will better guide your judgement in the future.

21. Jess says:

Sad to see women hating on women. Would really like to hear from the Ballerina since these kind of accounts are wildly bias to make the writer look better.

22. taozirae says:

Ha-haaa what a riot. Though super interesting. When I walk into a studio filled with ballerinas, I immediately may be threatened. Ballerinas are hot and classy and my ego responds by telling me that I am not. It doesn't have to be a ballerina either, it could be any one. I am a women. I have feelings. They shift. This is a product of my monkey-mind. Fallacy. All of it. "How women treat each other in the business world?" is probably the same way "men treat each other in the working world" and to assume that in this world people are cut throat and only operate to raise themselves up is doing humanity a huge injustice. Some, perhaps, but all? No. And if they do operate like this its not my business. If the ballerina comes in and gets all the classes and the students love her then…. what exactly is the problem? I know I would be hurt I wasn't teaching because, I love to teach, but isn't it all how it should be? Don't let the "monkey- mind" get involved telling you she is this and this and label her negatively. Who does that benefit? Honestly, I understand, I have taught and attended enough classes to know that sometimes the energies are… intense. My job is to show up, to shine, and to be kind, no matter what. Also, I know your post wasn't trying to be malicious, it was well-written, and from the heart. Thanks for sharing… ;)

23. Michelle Marchildon says:

If I caused harm, I apologize. My intention was to shed light on an issue of when women treat each other badly in the workplace. I could have written it better. This anecdote was fictionalized but based on a real incident, as they do in Law and Order, etc. That someone has stepped forward to say it is about them and that I called them names and confronted them, is truly sad. But again, I am sorry to have caused any harm and will work to right it. http://bit.ly/ZlM4Nb

• TwoCents says:

so on what grounds were you complaining that the person claiming to be the ballerina was embellishing the story, when the story itself, you fully admit, was a complete embellishment? Pot calling the kettle black much?

• TwoCents says:

I wish I could take that comment back. I re-read your comment and believe you are truly sorry. My reply took it too far. Thanks for your honest reflection on this story.

• Michelle Marchildon says:

Well you know TwoCents, perhaps you are not perfect either. The comments she claimed I said was I called her specifically, uneducated and manipulative. She said I confronted her in person where I yelled in her face. The truth is that I said neither of those things and I have not seen this person claiming to be the victim in years. YEARS. I can barely remember who she is, although believe me, the past two days is bringing my memory back.

• Michelle Marchildon says:

Oh and TwoCents, when harm is created unintentionally and by accident, as mine was because I never thought some stranger would out herself as the Queen Bee and say I was victimizing her, it is quite different than the harm created by posting hostile, aggressive and nasty comments. We may not know who you are, but karma does.

• Leigh says:

Surely a swift apology must go a little way towards appeasing karma? Twocents did say that they were sorry pretty quickly!

• Michelle says:

I think you are right, and perhaps it might have worked when I apologized too.

• TwoCents says:

I apologized for the harshness of my words, but if you are not truly humbled by this experience then I do not take back the content of them. FYI many on here found your blog equally "hostile, aggressive and nasty." Again, I urge you to act with a little more self-awareness (even if I admit my serving of it came a little late.)

And maybe you have bigger wrongs to right than going after a commenter who already apologized for misspeaking.

24. awfulmycloud says:

Perhaps the Queen Bee in you should honor the Queen Bee in her. Your being threatened by her is simply your mirroring her actions, which, based upon your mean girl rant, are probably very similar. Have you tried meditation and sitting still and quiet with your own thoughts? Practicing Ahimsa, or non-violence? (This goes for previous posts about guns, tackling girls who TP your house, etc.) Unfortunately, there will always be 'teachers of yoga' who are not yogis. If you see yourself here…then it is probably you.

25. Robyn says:

Michelle, I see a lot of negative comments, but I thought your story was interesting and I tend to take your side on the matter. I don't want to live my life always worried about who is about to stab me in the back. I prefer to live it with positivity and putting a little faith in humankind that they aren't bad people trying to steal from you. I know that makes me naive. I guess I've been fortunate so far (though I'm not a yoga teacher, but a copy editor, and maybe that explains it! Nobody wants my job!). Maybe this woman was just a little more of a go-getter, but that doesn't excuse the nasty mocking behind your back or insulting comments.

26. Dove says:

Okay, everyone… B R E A T H E. None of us is perfect. Sometimes, things we say and write are misconstrued. Sometimes, we misrepresent ourselves, and sometimes, we simply need to vent. I can see 'both' sides of this situation and feel no judgement toward either of them. I do think about women in the workplace and elsewhere undermining each other, and it does bother me. Michelle did preface her story with some sociological precepts about women in business. It does need to be brought up and we could all use yoga to remind us that we are all part of that 'yoke' or 'union'. It's understandable that we all have some emotions about this issue…not a bad thing. There is a problem, and it won't be solved instantaneously in one blog- but maybe, each of us, men and women alike, could try to be more mindful at every opportunity. None of us knows exactly what burden the other carries, or the effect we have on others. Our North American habits have us focussing on Karma and forgetting that Dharma is the Way.

27. deborah says:

Hey Michelle — friggen awesome article. Truth be told!
    Queen Bees and Wannabes.
    Asteya = not stealing. Ballerinas need to know this.
    The yoga world is full of poseurs, queen bee wannabes, and ambitious narcissistic charlatans who might be able to wrap their legs around their heads but say things like “I don’t really understand what the Bhagavad Gita has to do with Yoga!” …..
    Oh – don’t get me started. I appreciated very much that someone had the courage to name this crap for what it is; and it goes on everywhere.
    Don’t change a thing about the article. WHy would you? Haters gonna hate and those who are chomping down on you just don’t like being exposed for the frauds they are, and are drunk on the kool-aid believing their own lies.
    You go girl. And thanks.

28. Marissa says:

This does not feel like a productive article. If it was meant to point out female relations in the work place I believe it could have been more objective. This is such an important topic and I wish that you had written more carefully about it. I don’t see how putting someone else down (regardless of what they have or have not done) would result in LESS female aggression in the yoga world. It seems that you have some healing or self esteem work to do around this issue. You could have made this point without hurting another yogini. I will also point out that which we despise in others we usually despise in ourselves.

29. CBreheny1 says:

Thank you! I was a student of a wonderful yoga teacher and we had a queen bee show up to sub one day. This young lady took over the class within two weeks, such a disaster! I quit!!

• Vision_Quest2 says:

You know just when to dodge a bullet, CBreheny1 … you DON'T give the Queen Bee a chance to "redeem herself", unless you like to play the odds.

Umm, I DO … but I wind up paying for it in the end …

30. Bravo! Don't let the ballerinas and their defense drown your voice. Those queen bees deserve some serious bitchslapping.

31. ShadowOfLight says:

ShadowOfLight dancer my entire life. I have been meditating since teenage years. Yoga asana was my physica,l mental, and emotional rehab. Healed me so much I wanted to share that. No matter how business works, union means more than everything going your way. And rising above all that is petty and pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things is your duty as a healer. You, are not more important, or less, than another healer. And the negative posts of people siding with yoru, is a little disgraceful. If you want light, be the light. Don’t e a caddy mean girl. You will reap w hat you sew. Please always remember that. Remember, you’ve been chosen to represent instructors, teachers, healers. Don’t settle into satire. Even the pic chosen for the article is petty. If this was supposed to incite intellectual conversation about women relations in the workplace, don’t use a pic of Lindsay Lohan in an adolescent film about caddy girl backstabbing. Can’t, won’t, take you seriously. And yoga, healing, means way, wayyyyy more than that.

32. JimB says:

now, now. Relax Jill. Take a deep breath, have a saucer of milk and try to relax.

33. Michelle Marchildon says:

Dear EOS14,
    I have taken full responsiblity for my words, especially the ending of the story. I am looking forward to the day when commenters such as yourself and TwoCents take responsibility for your words by not posting them anonymously.