The Earth is Magic. ~ Dawn Kirk

Via on Apr 20, 2013

How often are children our teachers, reminding us of the things we know?

Lily, one of the children in my life, is repeatedly my teacher. Most recently the lesson revolved around a bee.

Lily was allowed to come home with me. As we pulled into my driveway, I noticed something on the dash—upon taking a closer look, I saw it was a bee—a honeybee.

I held the bee in my palm as Lily asked if it would sting. I assured her it could not sting and asked if she would like to join me in honoring the bee.

The two of us stood in my backyard at the grave of Templeton, my cat of nearly eighteen years. I told the bee we loved it and thanked it for coming to earth. I then asked the other bee souls to come from the stars and take this bee’s spirit home with them so it could rejoin its tribe. I asked the bees to continue joining us here on earth.

We then placed the bee’s body under a leaf at Templeton’s headstone; Lily asked what would happen to the body and I replied it would return to the earth.

I didn’t do this ritual with Lily because she is a child—this is what I do with every living creature I come upon that has died whether it’s in my yard or along a neighboring street. I ask its kin to help its spirit find its way home to the stars and I ask that specific animal to continue returning to us if it is for our highest good. This is my way of bearing witness to a living beings presence and passing from earth.

I sense that any animal held in love will take into the earth the vibration of love and appreciation felt toward it. And, I believe its spirit takes the same vibration into the stars.

I regretted not telling Lily the full story of why I honor the animals this way—and I regretted not asking if there was anything she wanted to say to the bee. My forgetting to do this, I suspect, was based in fearing what she might think of  ‘Aunt Dawn’s’ ritual; would she think it odd or strange?

magicThe next day, while rummaging through a journal, I came upon a drawing Lily gave me as I hurriedly rushed out the door of her family’s home to get to an event.

When she first gave me this drawing, I was quietly shocked by all the gray hair (not to mention my stern expression). I wondered, “Is my hair really that gray or did she just not have a brown crayon to add a few strands here and there?’

My concern was short lived after seeing the phrase written on my blue and green shirt.

“The Earth is Magic.”

Lily knows. The Earth is magic. I know we are magic…I suspect Lily does too.

Life on earth is meant to be magical. The honoring of the bee and asking its star kin to help it find its way home is part of that magic. We know truths such as this when young even if for an oh-so brief time.

Some people—especially artistic souls—hold this truth into adulthood and never let it go. Others, like me ,come back around to it later in life. Unfortunately, many forget and only glimpse magic while inspired by movies and music. Many I fear never remember what they came to earth knowing.

At times, I wonder if some corporate entity or persons controlling the world want us to forget what we know? Of course, if this is true I suspect they’ve forgotten what they once knew.

Fortunately as long as there is nature and children, poets, artists and folks filled with wonder, there’s an opportunity to remember the magic.

This Earth Day, I imagine the shift of remembering; we and earth are magic.

Dawn KirkDawn Kirk, LCSW is a psychotherapist, writer and social artist living in Nashville, TN.  She prefers to describe herself as a listener, tender, lover and wonderer as she wanders the world.  Previously she co-hosted “Wake Up & Live,” a local radio show, and is presently working on “Waking Up with Dawn.” You can learn more about Dawn at Imagine the Shift—Home of the Good News Muse.

Like elephant green on Facebook.

Ed: Bryonie Wise

Source: wired.com via Ester on Pinterest

About elephant journal

(We use PayPal but you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

41 Responses to “The Earth is Magic. ~ Dawn Kirk”

1. That is absolutely beautiful. I love the ritual you describe. What a wondering offering (and reminder) for Earth Day 2013 and beyond. Thank you, Dawn.

2. Rosemary Dowling says:

Thanks for sharing this story and ritual with us, Dawn, and for reminding us that the Earth is Magic and so are we!

3. Dawn Kirk says:

Dena and Rosemary,And thank you both for being participants in this beautiful web that love is weaving in this New Time ! Love, Dawn

4. Sharon Riddell says:

Thank God, Goddess, Great Spirit, Divinity and The One, as well as anyone else who might be listening, that we have Magical Storytellers to remind us of what we have always known. May we all empower our inner magicians and invite them out to sing and dance and play. Magic is always afoot.

• Dawn Kirk says:

Mounu, I left a reply for you then realized I did it incorrectly. My prayer is an opening will appear for the magical story of Angels in Africa!!!! Magic to them and you.

5. Vivia says:

Thank you, Dawn, for reminding us of the magic around us.

• Dawn Kirk says:

Vivia !! I am in that magical place where I last saw you in 2010! Keep spreading your magic in your diverse area and beyond!!

6. Sandy Robinson says:

Once again Dawn reminds us of all the wonder around us, the magic of being human on this amazing planet and the importance of teaching the beauty of ritual to our children. Beautiful story.

• Dawn Kirk says:

Sandy! My Southern sister thank you for your kind words. You were part of my personal magic in finding a surgeon not long ago. I will never forget that magic. Peace to you.

7. Dawn Kirk says:

…and may Spirit open a way Mounu for the
    Magical story of Angels in Africa to make its debut !!!! Magic abounds.

8. Sara Sharpe says:

Dawn: for your care and concern, and for your words, thank you.

• Dawn Kirk says:

Thank you for taking the time to write and for the magic you make through acting, writing and all you do in our community !!

9. Andrea Wachter says:

I love this story, the ritual, connecting with children with nature. Dawn tells a sweet, loving story for the Earth and each of us. I learn so much from the children in my life and so Dawn's story of magic rings incredibly true. Thank you Dawn.

• Dawn Kirk says:

Andrea! Thank you for realizing the magic in Mother Earth’s trees and allowing their stories and so much more to come through you.

10. TBinion says:

Dawn has the uncanny ability to find the miraculous in the mundane. What a truly caring person.

• Dawn Kirk says:

Tony, just saw your comment. Thank you for taking time on a busy day to leave a note. Yes, the mundane is not so mundane. Who came up with that idea anyway? Thank you for being a Light in our world.

11. Robin says:

Thank-you Dawn for this Beautiful Article on Remembering Earth's Sprits <3

12. Paul Briggs says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you Dawn … this piece of magic brings the magic of peace.

13. Lj Ratliff says:

Beautiful reminder of the magic of the earth and her children! Thank you!

• Dawn Kirk says:

Lj, You certainly know of the magic esp on this day when hawk made her presence known with her little ones too. Peace.

14. Barbara says:

Dawn, as usual, brings us into a different space from our "regular" lives, full of fast paced, busy action. She writes about magic and her ways of showing us and the world, the animals, plants and other living beings, that she honors them, each and every one of them. Thank you, Dawn, for this continual reminder. Lovely writing! And, lovely picture drawn by Lily!

• Dawn Kirk says:

Barbara, Lover of our Bird kin too, thank you for taking the time to read and share. I’ll let Lily know you liked her drawing too.

15. Maria Schmeeckle says:

Thank you for this reminder, Dawn, of the magic and wonder of our earth, and of the wisdom of children.

16. Peg says:

Wonderful honoring of children and sharing the teaching of this particular one. I want to be as fearless as she is in stating my truth. “The Earth is Magic” is one that we share.

17. Gary says:

A beautifully tender description of the circle of life.
    The fear of losing touch with our planet and universe is inspiring.
    An insightful teaching,
    Thanks Dawn,

• Dawn Kirk says:

Thank you, Gary. I still recall the magic you shared as we stood in the Green Hills parking lot looking into the night sky with you phone star app. Magic above, below and within. Happy Earth Day.

18. Pat Cobb says:

Our life here on earth is truly magical. It is nice that there are kids who keep on dreaming and people who use their imagination to keep life magical and happy. There are a lot of mysteries in life that makes living very special.

19. terry says:

Thanks so much Dawn for this reminder. your blog posts are always inspiring and thought-provoking.

20. MeadowMuse says:

What a magical sharing, Dawn, and a marvelous Earth Day message. Anyone who's fortunate to find their way to your story will come away with a smile and encouragement to nurture their own magical-connections, or re-connections! ~Carol

• Dawn Kirk says:

Carol, Oh the magic you stir. Thinking of you as you prepare for this last pilgrimage to Glastonbury for now.

21. Rebecca says:

Dawn, thank you so much for this story! I, too am trying to re-access the magic we are born tapped into. I have a new tiny teacher who is showing me the ropes every day. It's still in me! It never wasn't. We are all made of it!

22. Dawn Kirk says:

Oh Yes, Rebecca you are the mother to a new little master magician. Here’s to being taught and teaching.

23. Adele says:

Thank you Dawn for looking for the magic in this world and then Shari g it with others. I love your way of blessing each deceased creature by asking its kind to receive it. Your writings are inspiring to me and many others, I suspect, and add more magic to the world!

24. MaryAnn Rosberg says:

Lovely ritual. Great touch asking the animal’s spirit kin to help him/her to renew and then rejoin us if he/she so wishes.

25. Thelma says:

Thanks, Dawn, for a beautifully written account of one of the many times you notice things that others may not. Lily is lucky to have you as one of her teachers.