Via on May 23, 2013

Craig Proctor

Ashtanga brings out the intensity and dedication in us.

The series takes practitioners deeper into the evolution of asana. Yet, the Ashtanga practice remains illusive to me.

Ashtanga has always been on the periphery of my wild, spontaneous Vinyasa practice. I tend to approach my beloved, movement-obsessed asana practice like a light-hearted, joyful child rather than a serious disciplined Ashtanga yogi.

Many of my teachers, like superstar yogini Tiffany Cruikshank, were trained in Ashtanga, but teach Vinyasa Flow.

When will Ashtanga come to me? Perhaps a trip to Mysore is in my future, although Kino’s Youtube Channel is just a quick cruise around the internet.

Ashtanga yogis like Kino and Craig Proctor inspire me to see beyond what is ordinarily considered possible. They are limitless, break boundaries and move deeper into their infinite potential.

I share with you Craig Proctor’s extreme Ashtanga Yoga in this Tiny Yoga Flick, made with love in Ko Samui Thailand. Let Craig inspire you. This flick is an example of how we can go beyond what is ordinarily thought as possible.

Ashtanga shows me that we are so much stronger than we think we are.

Carrie StilesCarrie Stiles is a yogi, multimedia creator and social media strategist with an M.A. in Conflict Resolution. She has worked, studied and played in over 30 countries on 5 continents. Her ambitious adventures have taken her high in the Himalayas and past Timbuktu in the Sahara (before the Rebels took over). Carrie is on the road again seeking enlightenment and adventure in SE Asia. Carrie aspires to raise awareness about how small actions lead to large scale social transformation. Connect with her on her environmental conflict resolution blog and her guide to social media. You can see some of her Tiny Yoga Flicks and also find her on Facebook.

Like elephant yoga on Facebook.

Ed: Bryonie Wise

About elephant journal

12 Responses to “Made with Love: Extreme Yoga Demo in Thailand with Craig Proctor. ~ Carrie Stiles”

1. sadaka says:

The posing is OK but where is the Ashtanga Flow here?

2. karlsaliter says:

WOW. Beautiful, amazing video.

3. BBolder says:

Fun video; he has tremendous range of motion in his joints. Not as much as the rasta guy who performs on the Pearl Street Mall, but way more than I.

Speaking of which, and I'm sure lots of people think of this when watching vids like this or even when in a hatha class, but thought I'd point it out: there are thousands of people in the world with range of motion, strength, and poise equal to or exceeding the fine gentleman in this video. They just don't call themselves yogi's; they work at Cirque du Soleil, street corners, and circus's all over the world.

Again, I think this guy is great; I'm just contributing some perspective.

• Carrie says:

True BBolder. Craig also trained as a contortionist, but he is most definitely an astral soaring yogi. He also reads palms with precise calculations and tremendous insights. ~ Carrie

• BBolder says:

Thank you for sharing more information; sounds very positive and I'd like to meet him sometime too.

4. Pat Cobb says:

I just started Yoga last month and I hope one day I'll be able to to do those poses. Well, I doubt that but I really love the feeling when you accomplished a certain pose. Yoga is relaxing and it offers a peace of mind.

• carriestiles says:

So true Pat. I've found when I practice with joy and change my thoughts from "this is hard" to "this feels so good" I can go much deeper, stay longer and cultivate happiness.

5. Mizboognish says:

Why the word "Extreme?" How about "Dedicated or Disciplined?"

6. MB_ says:

I feel like this post misrepresents the Ashtanga Vinyasa practice. As other people have said, it's a beautiful video. However, one of the significant aspects of a dedicated Ashtanga practice is the commitment to the sequences set out by Pattabhi Jois. I'm not trying to discount Craig's discipline in asana practice, but what is portrayed in the video is more akin to "intense and dynamic types of Iyengar practices" (quote taken from his website), rather than the Ashtanga Vinyasa sequences, i.e. Primary, Second, etc.

Just like BBoulder said, just trying to contribute some perspective.

• carriestiles says:

Very interesting BBoulder. I appreciate your insights. I may be learning Ashtanga after all with my new client Orion Retreat and Orion Healing in Thailand. Stoked!

7. Rick Stewart says:

Ashtanga remains illusive? As in, illusory–not real? Interesting…

• carriestiles says:

as in, Ashtanga is like a quick cat that I can not seem to grasp. I want to learn Ashtanga, but I have not yet had the opportunity likely because I am very free-spirited and not super strict with my approach to yoga.