Meeting your Twin Flame…Really?

Via on May 22, 2013

The feeling that you will never be apart again, the intensity that transpires when you are together, and the thrill of knowing that all is right with the world!

Is this true?

The Twin Flame Relationship has been dubbed the most profound. This is the Age of Aquarius, after all, and we are destined to reunite with our other half, the one we have been searching for all of our lives.

But does this truly take place for everyone? What are the chances that he or she has already passed you by, and you were in a semi-conscious state about life and love? What does it actually mean?

I’ve been dabbling in this topic for years now, traveling from one place to another, based on my gut instincts of where it is I needed to go next. I read about it. I hear about it. I research it. I listen. I observe. I do my best to find the quiet moments in each day and trust what I hear inside. Is it accurate? Gosh, I sure hope so.

We’ve been so inundated with technology and complexities that it seems meeting your twin flame is totally irrational and impossible. That deep longing in your heart and soul where everyone chooses either love or fear. Decisions to walk away and not partake in any growth or lessons whereby that person is teaching you, whether you know it or not. Not giving up. Exhibiting patience. Loving each other through the ups and the downs. Accepting all of them, scars and everything. What is it about this 2013 year that is becoming the most transformative year in the my history of living on this planet? I’m no spring chicken, mind you, and I’ve been through countless heartaches and affairs of the heart, yet I’m poised to believe that when you have randomly met someone, you just know it’s right.

The twin soul will bring out the best in you. They also bring out the worst in you.

They show you who you are and who you could become. They tap into the dark side. They shine brightness on the light side. Every damn emotion comes forth when encountering their presence. It’s not an easy ride, let me tell you. And, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

When you want to exit stage left, your conscience and gut are on overdrive for many reasons. “Is this really what I need in my life?” is a common question. “Where’s that person who just rolls with the punches and life flows more easily than not?” is another subtle way of dealing with the acceptance and growth. “Why am I experiencing all these emotions, and yet I still love them at the end of the day?” the more rational side will say. The subconscious has a way of always being right on. Trust it.

Either way, don’t walk away. It’s always too easy, and probably why there is much unhappiness in the world today. This other half of you is there to show you more about big love than ever. They are who you have been waiting for, and will mirror parts of you that aren’t always so pretty to observe. They will love you through all the rough patches.

On the other hand, soulmates come and go. It’s a kitschy term for many, and we do have many soulmates throughout our lives. I thought both my husbands were soulmates forever. Wrong! They were in my life for a reason, and I’m more than grateful for what I learned throughout those marriages. We walked away from each other because our contracts were up—literally and spiritually.

A soulmate could even be your dog. I had many dog soulmates too. I loved them more than ever, and now they are no longer in my life. I have the fondest memories of every facet of their being, but time moves on, and soul mates do too. We were bonded together at just the right time, and to possibly set me up for a twin soul relationship. Have I found it? Really?

Blissfully speaking, we are all almost there. 2013 is a powerful year for this to occur, and hearing many stories of reconnects, transformations and profound occurrences, I have to believe that love conquers all. Yes, I think I am there….

Like elephant journal Love and Relationships on Facebook.

Ed: Brianna Bemel

About Gerry Ellen

Gerry Ellen is an author, freelance writer, and wellness consultant. She recently launched her own gig called *8 Paws Wellness with Gerry Ellen* which combines all of her passions (outdoors, yoga, strength, meditation, writing, dogs, fun!) Her first novel Ripple Effects was published in March 2012. As a regular contributor to elephant journal, Be You Media Group, Light Workers World, Meet Mindful, Tattooed Buddha and Rebelle Society, she also balances incredible friendships, heart-centered connections, and sharing her experiences of life and love. These are the things that matter to her most. Her second book A Big Piece of Driftwood, published in April 2014, is also available on

15 Responses to “Meeting your Twin Flame…Really?”

1. Meeting your Twin Flame…Really? | elephant journal

2. Meeting your Twin Flame…Really? | elephant journal

3. heidi says:

what if you meet your twin flame but they don't reconize you? is this possible? the person who i believe is my twin has some mental problems, but it was such a powerful meeting that i'm convinced that he's the one. how do you go on with your life when you have to part because it's just not time to be together? it just hurts so much. has anyone else experienced this – meeting "the one" and having to say goodbye because circumstances won't allow you to be together?

• Lily says:

I have experienced this…about a month ago. I finally gave up yesterday and said goodbye. It's incredibly painful…I've never felt such agony in my life…Our first meeting was out of this world…I have no words to describe how it felt…I then became scared of him, terrified of the immense love I felt for him…and I messed things up but always came back to make amends but at one point, he was gone…very much gone. He gave me the silent treatment for what seems like eternity…I lost hope eventually. I had to let go and accept that it couldn't be…I don't know if that was twin flames love but it sure was exceptional and incredible to say the least… Now the separation feels like we are 2 parallel lines in this life…unable to be together. I don't know how to explain how it feels…it's really tragic and you wish you never met them because of the pain of the separation…It's beyond any pain you've ever felt!!! Life goes on…though it feels terribly empty/meaningless without The One. I try to occupy myself with things I'm passionate about…writing, poetry, books etc to move on…Try to do that and accept the loss…Pray to God for strength to carry on…He may return someday you never know…Don't lose hope but you need to carry on…and be happy even without him. A little ahead of time but happy New Year:).

4. Gerry Ellen Gerry Ellen says:

Yes, I feel that is the common "theme" in a twin flame relationship. Sometimes, it is the most intense, and one of the partners may have to go away for awhile to actually evolve to the level of the other partner. It's pretty much left up to fate and destiny. In my experiences, who I thought was a twin flame was actually a soul mate. Twin flames are rare, but this year, more and more are reuniting. Hang in there. The Universe knows what's up, and will give you the direction you need. Trust your gut!

5. sandy says:

2013 has been a real doozy for me too. I lost my twin flame the beginning of this year and again a few months ago and it's been hard on my heart. He is running. Even though he knows we are meant to be together, he is running. I tried chasing but I can't chase anymore. There is a point where you just have to let them go and let the universe put things into place.

The hardest part is that i'm still hopeful and I don't feel like it's really over but I haven't heard from him. The best thing for me to do is let him go and wish him happiness. If he comes back, it was meant to be.

• Gerry Ellen Gerry Ellen says:

Thanks for your words, Sandy. It is tough to lose the soul mate that was in your life for a reason. If it is meant to be, then the Universe has a remarkable way of reuniting two people. Keep the faith!

6. inoka says:

I do not have enough words to explain that love for him.all I know is that one day I had looked into a his eyes and after that day I thought I have gone crazy.even though I had some memory flash backs I didn’t understand what was going on with me from the beginning.that time I never knew about twin flames nor soul mates.though I felt some higher divine force is handling me and I didnt have control over my self.i only could see god in every incident which happened from that day and I feel and see god through him.never ever felt that much intensed attraction for a man before even to my husband. It was painful for both of us because we both were married.i told my husband everything because I thought I should tell that time I thought that man would have been my past husband for me to go crazy like that.even my husband thought like I started searching online about past life relationships.what ever was there could not satisfy me because I always felt him in every way.after 2 months searching different things finally I have found my answer only yesterday I got to know about twin flames.

sorry to write all these in fact I have shortn the is an experience beyond everything which can not explain.still I love him in all ways and finally I have decided to spent my life alone with his love in my heart.may god bless you all.

• Gerry Ellen Gerry Ellen says:

What a beautiful story, Inoka. Thank you for sharing your words. It is such a powerful connection, one that kind of knocks you upside the head and flips your life around-in a good way. The intensity alone deserves recognition, as it is way different than merely a soul mate connection. Happy New Year to you, and good wishes and love for 2014!

7. Shiva says:

I’m in a twin flame relationship and I read a lot about it before. I wasn’t looking for a relationship I was happy as a single and even though I could feel him so strong before we met. I saw him a week before we met in my dream as well. Anyway we’ve been in a relationship a bit over a year and we moved together after two weeks knowing each other crazy but I followed my heart it felt right. I’m highly sensitive by the way and feel always guided by spirit. Well, I’m so fed up we had so many up and downs and I appreciate the things that showed up in our relationship as I had to heal some stuff from my childhood. I also got to realize that you feel so connected with you twin flame because it feels home to you. It feels knowing each other forever that’s because of your childhood even if your not counciouss about it. If you had an awesome childhood great if not it will bring up stuff which needs more healing therefore is good. I actually thought that I did heal my past but I still had to some inner work. Now I love myself even more and ready to move on. We are going to Counseling tomorrow and I surrender. I know what I want if not I move on. Love

8. kelli says:

I dated my twin flame ten years ago, without knowing it at the time. We were together for two years. Ten years later, now that we've grown into what we're meant to be, the universe has brought us back together and there's No DOUBT that we're exactly where we're meant to be. That's the thing about a twin flame… YOU DON'T HAVE TO LOOK FOR THEM, the universe will align and bring you together (in due time) if you're truly meant to find yours. A twin flame is found after LIFETIMES of searching, maybe you will find yours in the next life. When you know, you truly do know.

9. loulou85nl says:

I met my twin flame 7 years ago. We had the most amazing connection but I was afraid of the intensity and fear of loosing that I ran away. Married another man who is a soul mate. About 6 months ago, my twin flame contacted (he felt me as I was going through a decisive time in my life), we met again and it is like time never passed. The connection is the same, he feels me, I feel him (even after we live far from each other). He brings the best in me and we both know we’ll love each other for the rest of our lives. Will we be together at some point in life? I don’t know. We have separate lives and, although we may want to be together, we love each other that much that we don’t push each other or claim each other. We are letting life and the universe guide us… the chapter is still being written, but for sure is worth to let yourself go and enjoy the ride…

10. anonymus says:

I have met my twin flame 3 years ago, the night that i met her i was returning home from a party of a friend of mine in a bar, i felt that i had to go back to that place and i did, and just couple of minutes later she was there. the connection was instant and in just few minutes we were kissing, few days later however she dumped me and broke my heart i was scared she was thinking the same thoughts like reading my mind, because i felt this strong connection i didnt know what to do next because she said she looked at me as a friend, the odd thing is the more time has passed the more i saw how similar to eachother we are but i didnt know what to do and how to tell her because she didnt trust me and thought i was lying, then time passed and she started to meet my friends, on her work, all this time i was silent because i could not accept the friendship, the silence grew untill the pain was so high i could not handle it not to write to her, I wrote to her and said that she is the best woman i have ever met, i was not lying but i was shy and affraid because i felt so vunerable by her words. The next thing she did was posed a joke about me and my shyness on a social network it really made me dissapointed, i felt betrayed, following days she found a boyfriend and it just tore me into pieces, although she had a boyfriend i felt how deeply i loved her and i just wanted to see her and fight for her i felt that i should not let her go, i felt pain in my heart i was bad for days and i know that i was speaking to myself be patient you will see her, one evening soon after that i went out i felt pain in my heart and i knew i will see her, one moment i felt she is there and i heard a familiar voice, it was her i instantly saw her and huged her, she was holding another mans hand i felt both happy and sad, the moment she was moving away i started seeing violet trail from my heart to hers, i thought i was crazy i went downstairs to tell her something i just said to her i want you to be the best, this is all i had strength to say and bursting into tears. the next day she wrote me and i knew when i got the message, i could feel it, but i became so sad the pain that night was so big that i wanted to die i felt that i have lost someone i would want my whole life to be with amd i was searching for her since i was a teenager, she parted moved to a different city and i saw her once more, i remember that i huged her and then again months and months of sadness and silence, i wrote her again but she dumped me again, i went on a business trip, i went into a museum and i thought i have to buy something for her i bought a notebook for her, i thought it would be a nice resent to write her goals in it, when i came home i wrote to meet up with her, she had other plans, on my birthday i went out with another girl but i have put my notebook i bought to her into my pocket in jacket, i felt strange foggy feeling and pain, i went out with that girl and there was she, she said hi but i instinctively put my hand for handshake, she was so mad at me, she just looked in silence and said just hm. my other hand was on the pocket with the notebook, i didnt give it to her, i saw her once more and i removed her from my life because i listened to others telling me to move on i also ended up seeing psychologist as i wanted to remove the fear and the sadness i felt, the pain after that was so intense that i wasnt myself for months. i have found out recently that she has met my friends on another continent and it just drives me crazy, i still feel her. Today it is her birthday I wish i could say happy birthday to her, i loved her more than i love myself and anyone in my life, i have tried to reach her for 3 years, she always had another man and my life got worse. every day i miss her although i dont want to feel that way. I wish that we are together but i just love her in silence i dont want an affair with her as it would probably end me. Now i just want to find someone i can love as i want to love again still hoping inside one day everything will fall into place.

11. Anne says:

Sometimes people write about the twin flame experience when they have never even experienced it!