Please join me in saying “Thank You” to Kate Bartolotta.

Via on Jun 30, 2013

Kate Bartolotta

Leave a Thank You comment for departing elephant editor Kate Bartolotta.

And wish her godspeed and best of luck, in comments below! Kate, along with Bob Weisenberg, marks the second significant loss for elephant over the past year—that said we’re honored to be working with new editor Sara Crolick, as well as a few new elephant colleagues who are helping out Walk the Talk Show in the coming year.

~

“Never say goodbye because goodbye means going away and going away means forgetting.” ~ J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan

I have a horrible memory, so it’d be fun to do an interview with Kate about her experiences with elephant (we went vegan together, for one). In any case, she’s been more than a writer to me, though she unlike most “writers” is possessed of a voice.  And though her care and compassion and groundedness and ability to listen and lead will be missed—she’s been more than a colleague.

She’s been a personal friend, particularly a year or so ago when I was working every night, all night, and she was often working, too, and we’d chat on Facebook IM (where we have 7,000 messages together—I checked) or Skype text messaging (where, doubtless, we have some thousands more). Evening after evening, working, editing, writing, blogging, tweeting, facebooking…nurturing the “mindful life” noble beast that is elephant…we’d keep each other virtual company. It was as if we shared a virtual newsroom or virtual cafe or living room. We were both going through relationship stuff. I miss those times, and how close and genuine and friendly we were. Kate was, and is, a positive and mature

(she, like me, is an avid practicioner of Drive All Blames into One and move on, a great technique for [life, love, and] workplace joy and efficiency)

force for elephant, as well as for me personally.

kate bartolotta Dhanurasana

And that means a lot to me. For elephant is not a business. We’re a mission. And if we can’t grow and succeed, as well as walk our talk along the way, well, there’s no point to any of this. And she helped us both grow, and do so with integrity and good cheer.

Her departure is in some ways my fault—I was perhaps too hard on her sometimes, and a grouch—my faults are many.

But, too, it’s a natural and positive phenomenon—elephant is 11 years old and we’ve lost Travis, Rose, Maron, Abbey, Merete, and a half dozen other heroes who, at some point, grow to the point where, like a flowering plant in a too-small pot, they want to move out and on to, if not bigger things, things that fit their own life’s passion more closely.

One note: I do know that controversies, high-drama authors and anonymous, unconstructive criticism take their toll. While that is in no way the reason for Kate’s departure—

1) she’ll continue to write with elephant, she’s an amazing writer, look for her work here and
2) again it’s a natural and positive thing for her to leave, though it is sad for myself and elephant

—I do want to say that running a major independent media company, negotiating the whitewater waves of the internet—serving as an editor—it is a full-contact sport, and I do wish Kate a life full of merit, of benefit for others, but also an easier time that we had together in the trenches of elephantjournal.com.

None of this is eloquent, or orderly, but it’s Kate’s last day, and Bryonie and Sara and Brianna and Samara and Colin and Lindsey and all those who care about elephant and have worked and played with Kate over the past years…well, we wanted to share a public thank you, gassho, and a final

(bow)

This isn’t good bye, but it is deeply sad, as well as joyful.

kate bartolotta screenshot

Bonus:

Image: Source: Uploaded by user via Orla on Pinterest

Source: Uploaded by user via Kyle on Pinterest

About Waylon Lewis

40 Responses to “Please join me in saying “Thank You” to Kate Bartolotta.”

1. Thanks for everything, Kate. Best wishes.

Bob W.

2. Kate was very encouraging to me when I began to write for Elephant, and was even more encouraging when I returned after taking time off to deal my own relationship stuff. I am also sad to see her go, but wish her the best and look forward to reading more from her very soon.

3. Kimberly Lo kimberlylowriter says:

Thanks for everything!

4. elephantjournal says:

From Bry: Dear Kate Fields Bartolotta:

I will be forever grateful for the day that our trunks crossed—thank you for taking me under your wing, for teaching me all things elephant—and most importantly, for your love and friendship over the past year.

I'll miss our late night editing chats, or excessive use of emoticons and the spark (and heart) that you bring to elephant.

I hope that you know how much we all love you and how much you'll be missed.

xoxoxo

5. Capri says:

Thank you Kate! See ya around! :D

6. Lisa Avebury says:

I've dealt with Kate on a few articles I have written for Elephant. She has always been kind, wise, balanced and encouraging. I hope wherever the road take you Kate it is in the JOY! And thank you for everything. Peace & Blessings, Lisa Avebury

7. Waylon, this is beautiful.

I actually read this late (late late) last night and decided I was too tired and had a head and heart that were a bit too full to respond well without some sleep.

Writing and being a part of the elephant community, for me, has been a tremendous and transformative experience, and to you, Waylon for making that possible, I will always be grateful. Some of the friends I’ve made through this community have become part of my family. Saturday, I spent the day with a number of them for a day of music, writing, meditation, and play and I looked around and elephant was the common denominator for most of the friendships. Elephant hasn’t just been my workplace; it’s been my sangha.

(I would take a second to remind people, however, that I have not died, retired nor moved into the wilderness…I will still be “around”!)

This has never been just a job, in fact, I remember arguing with you for several months before I agreed to let you pay me! Those of us who tell stories, not merely to entertain, but to inspire, to awaken, know that it’s never a job. It’s who we are. It’s why we’re here. I am grateful, always, that elephant is a place I can do that.

The double-edged sword of such a place is that it often inspires us—as you said—to outgrow the pot we’re planted in. Feeling those growing pains of wanting to do my own thing, but wanting to stay (but knowing it was time to do my own thing) was a huge struggle for a while. I’m glad that it’s time to go. I’m also glad that going doesn’t mean “goodbye.”

Here’s to collaborations to come, and Dr. Seuss probably said it best:

“Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks for everything.

• Tara Lemieux tara357 says:

so beautiful, Kate…and this is why you are most magical.

• elephantjournal says:

That's an amazing reminder: when you came on we really didn't have much of a staff beyond Lindsey and I and so many amazing volunteers, and now you're leaving–how long has your tenure been, volunteering/getting paid? Now you're leaving, we have a staff of maybe six, in total? A lot of us work part-time. Not big, still, but so much more stable and hopefully that translates to better quality content for our readers, helping us to fulfill our mission to be of benefit.

That said: of all the folks I listed above–Rose, Travis, Abbey, Maron, Merete etc…every single one has said they wanted to stay involved, and besides Merete writing an article a year, Rose doing the same…none of them are. So I feel like these are always goodbyes–life is a river and it sweeps friends and colleagues on, and away.

• spiral_dancer says:

SO glad you will still be around. I love you Kate!!!!!!!! (See, so much that I used multiple exclamation points, even though that's usually a pet peeve…)

8. sarah rosenberg says:

gooooooOOOOOOOOOO KATE!!!

9. brianna says:

You have brought many gifts to elephant journal. We will miss you!

10. Jennifer S. White Jennifer White says:

Kate, I know that it's not sad but joyful, but there's a weighty feeling in my chest, hanging gloomily over me this morning, that's actually causing the sensation of tears behind my eyes.

I know I haven't been an elephant for too long, but you were the very first person here who supported me and encouraged me, and helped me to grow and become better.

Your own eloquent writing encourages me to pull more out from places and spaces within, where I have things to share that I hadn't even realized until my fingers start moving across my keyboard, joined to my thoughts through my newly inspired heart.

I've learned so much from your editing expertise, and I"m so grateful and blessed to have encountered you, and elephant journal, while you still played such a vital role.
    I think, though, that your role has left an indelible mark on the many of us who have worked with you and who have been graced with not only your hard-working skills, but by you're innately gifted and generous spirit.

I wish you much love and much adventure.

xoxo (and I didn't finish my first cup of coffee yet, but I did re-read this before hitting submit, which was actually a very, very good thing ;)

11. Sara Lovelace sara says:

Thank you for all the sharp edits and your wonderful writing. It was so comforting to know that your eyes were the first to see an article when I sent it out. I can't wait to read more of your work! Godspeed, Kate.

12. NIchole says:

Dearest Kate,
    Though we have not met in person, nor have we even heard one anothers voice, I have been truly blessed by your sparkling fairy like magic via elephant journal. Your light shines bright and your voice is heard loud and clear. You are so loved and have a big heart and a truly special place in this world in that you make a difference in the lives you have touched in person and through your writing. I nearly envy those that you are close too because I see that you bring so much happiness to each and every one of those people that you love. It is rare to find someone as sweet, intelligent and endearing as you are. I always look forard to your posts. May this next chapter of your life bring you excitement, laughter and fulfillment. Peace on your journey!
    Love,
    Nichole

13. Edie Lazenby edie says:

Wow! Guess I needed to shed a few tears….you always provide Kate, even when you don't mean to….I know we'll be in touch and you will be around….I always look forward to your aricles and FB postings. You are a giver. And givers are harder to find than takers I think…

Be well. You have been a great mentor, teacher, editor and now friend….

14. Helene Rose Helene Rose says:

Thank you Kate!

15. karlsaliter says:

Best. Editor. Ever.

See you on the other end of the next tornado, Kate! If that's the phrase I'm after.

A real joy to meet you Saturday finally, and yes: Thank you, for your awesome work here at elephant.

16. Michel says:

I will miss her

17. SaraCrolick says:

Kate: you've been an inspiration to work along side of, and if I've absorbed even a fraction of the knowledge that you hold in that beautiful head, I'll be a much better editor, writer, coworker, friend and human for it.

Thank you for showing me how incredible a community elephant is, I am touched and humbled to be part of the team that tries to pick up the Kate-sized pieces in your absence—a task (we've all agreed) is impossibly sad and difficult, but a task we'll embrace because we love elephant and you!

I hope you realize what a brilliant light you cast in this community, it has meant all the difference for some of us.

xo

18. Ben Neal bneal817 says:

Kate, you are incredible. Your are one of the most recognizable and powerful voices on the elephant and beyond. You have helped make this journal what it is, and you are one of the reasons why I love it so much.

Namaste,

~ Ben

19. Jill Barth Jill Barth says:

All the very best Kate!

20. Robert says:

Dear Kate,
    You have been my editor through the most prolific moment of my career – a moment when I needed someone to just be on the other side as I delivered article after article to the public arena. Thank you so much for being such a joy to work with, for helping me to allow my vision to unfold and for your beautiful offering of heartfelt, sincere blogs over the years. I am sad to see you go (but I have my eye on you no matter where you end up) See you soon.
    Your amigo,
    Roberto

21. Jeanne Eisenhaure Jeanne Eisenhaure says:

Thanks Kate for all of your hard work, I wish you the best in your future endeavors!

22. anne says:

i wish to share my gratitude for your generosity and courage that has helped me in so many ways. You have a way with speaking from the soul.

23. ashley d says:

Kate, I feel so blessed to have met you as you embark on your journey! Wishing you blessings and abundance.. <3 <3 <3

24. Jodee says:

Wishing you the very best, Kate.
    I have written a few pieces for EJ and you were always a pleasure to deal with. You were quick to respond and always made me feel good about my writing. Thank you.
    xx
    Jodee

25. Barb says:

I’ve always liked what you’ve had to say, Kate. Cheers and best wishes in your new endeavours! Looking forward to seeing what you share on your FB page which I’ve liked as well. Take care!

26. Sey says:

Dear Kate, thank you for all of your hard work! During my 6 months as an apprentice editing for elephant, I always looked forward to your emails. You gave the best, constructive criticism with a lot of heart that convinced me you are an old soul. I'll remember your kindness, compassion, genuine care and your strong, nurturing voice that gently urged me to keep going even when I thought I wasn't going to make it (literally)! I wish you the utmost BEST in everything you go for, and the highest BEST of everything that comes your way :) Aloha~

27. inga troutman says:

sorry to see anyone whose contributions have such value to elephant journal leave!!! carry on, tho!

28. Kathy McQueen says:

I haven't had the pleasure to write for ele yet, but Kate you are the one that encouraged me to make a commitment to my writing. Thanks a whole giant bunch. May I say "You Rock"

29. Christina says:

We'll miss your voice, Kate. Thank you for your inspiring words. Many blessings to you.

30. Catherine Beekmans Cat B says:

Kate, I wish you so much success & happiness! I only wish I had more time to learn from you. You are truly an inspiration and will be missed.

31. Marthe Weyandt says:

Thanks, Kate, for your service to Elephant Journal and your helpful suggestions on several of my articles. Best of luck in your future endeavors!!

32. Donna says:

Wow – can't believe you're moving on but fabulous for you and huge loss to EJ. I've sooooo loved your writing and hope to continue to be able to 'read' you here and elsewhere. You're a real inspiration to new writers, I know because you inspired me and made me laugh when some days it didn't seem there was much chance of that. Sending you masses of positive energy and love for your new adventures. D x