We Make Our Own Wings.

Via on Jun 12, 2013
wings

Some days weigh us down.

Some days, you feel an ache in that spot in your back where there could be wings, and instead there’s the weight of the world, the weight of your world, the weight of waiting… Some days it’s just too much. After too many times of trying and failing, loving and falling, being broken by life until we’re in a million pieces, it seems too hard. We don’t think we have what it takes. We start to fear we’ll never fly.

But the wings we need can’t be bought in stores. No one else can give them to us (and no one can take them from us).

We make our own wings around here.

We’ve stopped waiting for the right time.

We’ve stepped to the edge and looked down.

We’ve taken all our bits of dreams, duct tape and chicken wire;

Scribbles in margins, late night scheming and the fear in the pit of our stomachs;

Sweat, tears and feathers lovely blackbirds left behind

And put them all together

To make our own wings.

We’ve stopped waiting for permission

To be bigger

To be bolder

To create.

And instead, we wrote our own ticket.

(Because that’s what we do in these parts.)

We are the ones who stay hungry

Stay on our toes, tip-toed at the edge

With half-broken, rigged together wings

We’ve made ourselves.

And then we leap.

For Tara, who forgot for a moment about her wings.

About Kate Bartolotta

Kate Bartolotta is the strongest girl in the world. She is the love child of a pirate and a roller derby queen. She hails from the second star to the right. Her love of words is boundless, but she knows that many of life’s best moments are completely untranslatable. When she is not writing, you may find her practicing yoga, devouring a book, playing with her children, planting dandelions, or dancing barefoot with her heart on her sleeve. She is madly in love with life and does not know how this story ends; she’s making it up as she goes. Kate is the owner and editor-in-chief of Be You Media Group. She also writes for The Huffington Post, elephant journal, The Good Men Project, The Green Divas, Yoganonymous, The Body Project, Project Eve, Thought Catalog and Soulseeds. She facilitates writing workshops and retreats throughout North America. Heart Medicine, Kate's book on writing, is now available on Amazon.com You can follow Kate on Facebook and Twitter

15 Responses to “We Make Our Own Wings.”

1. Tara Lemieux Tara Lemieux says:

Today was so super hard…thank you, Kate, for reminding me about my wings… I will never forget the kindness you shared tonight, and I love you with all of my words. This is why you are magical.

2. sarah rosenberg says:

halcyon. love to you both, angels.

3. @Jenn_Grosso says:

Oh Kate, this is so beautiful. "No one else can give them to us (and no one can take them from us)" yes, a thousand times yes!!! Thank you for this and for you. Everyone needs this kind of reminder every now and then. Big love to you!!! <3

4. elephantjournal says:

I heart this and I heart you. Thank you, thank you. B xoxo

5. Ben Neal bneal817 says:

This is exquisite. I feel it, I dig it.

6. Carolyn Riker Carolyn Riker says:

Amazing and lovely. This is so beautiful. Thank you both for your beautiful wings. It helps us all to soar.

7. Nayeli says:

I just love this, glad I stumbled uponthispage

8. Lyndsay says:

love this! so very awesome.

9. Diane Cartmel Maher says:

And once again, just when I needed to hear this, be reminded, there it is!!!! I have often said; " integrity is something you have, that no one can take away from you. You only loose your integrity if you give it away". Now I read this and I realize my integrity is my wings!! of course this is personal to me & my journey. But today has been a tough day, many major life changes directly ahead, and I am approaching the edge, and have been fearful, (again me getting in my own way)….I called out in a loud voice for my "divine master/creator" to help me get through….within a short time the phone rang and I had a 2 1/2 hr. conversation with a new friend……and peace reigned once again…..a mutual sharing of support….asked & received at the exact moment needed!!! Now I am working on rebuilding my wings, with confidence & courage. This article came just at the moment it was needed. THANK YOU FROM A GREATFUL HEART!!! I am leaving the misspelling of grateful as that is how it came out in the moment. ;) <3

10. kris says:

It’s Wonderful, perfectly wonderful! Yes, we are sometimes perfectly broken by life’s imperfections and come to the point of forgetting who we are, what we are, what we have and what we can do. Let not fear and disappointments rule over us. Accept everything, learn and move forward. Thanks for that Kate.

11. lexi says:

oh my word. this is so beautiful it brought tears to my eyes. those big, fat, beautiful honest tears. thank you!

12. Renee says:

Thank you. Beautiful.

13. javalava101 says:

Maybe I've got it wrong, but I thought the whole point of it all was to NOT MAKE our own wings, but to discover the wings we ALREADY HAVE?

14. yogial says:

Tara…this dropped into my mailbox just on the day I was contimplating the frustration of not being able to fly….thank you, i will copy it down for the fridge door replacing the word 'we' for 'I'….i hope you dont mind. love sent you're way