Why elephant charges $1/month after you read three articles/in one day.

Via
on Jul 12, 2013
get elephant's newsletter

one dollar

I want to read more elephant, but I don’t value it.

We get the below comment from time to time, so I thought I’d share our response here, and hopefully let some of our readers know where we stand.

Mindful Reader: I’m only liking this because I’ve already read it…I dislike that you now require $$$ in order to have readers….really, too bad

• elephantjournal.com Sorry, but you’re confused. Writing and media has cost money for centuries–that’s how we offer better articles, pay editors, pay writers, pay staff. Writing is not free. If you want free writing, read the comments on reddit (which are often great).

Secondly, we have charged for three years–but only after 3 articles. So you have read your maximum for today, which means you are using elephant a great deal, which is great. But you don’t seem to appreciate it. Funny, isn’t that.
    You have three options: subscribe to our weekly newsletter, and get more free articles. Pay $1 a month, which is next to nothing, for unlimited free. Or come back tomorrow, for more free. Not bad, right?

729 views

About elephant journal

Comments

16 Responses to “Why elephant charges $1/month after you read three articles/in one day.”

1. Jennifer S. White Jennifer White says:

This is yet another thing that needed to be mentioned to the readers!

2. bacon boy says:

Nobody is arguing that you shouldn't be paid for providing meaningful content to readers. But the elephant in the room (pun intended) is that digital media outlets mostly provide content free to readers through advertising sales. Paid subscriptions are a thing of the past and antithetical in a digital age. It's like EJ is that girl in yoga class with the hole in the crotch of her lulumons; she's nailing the poses but you kinda' feel bad for her because she doesn't realize what's going on.

Secondly, my significant other recently had an article published on EJ and never received any semblance of payment, so I disagree with your assertion that the $1/month subscription fee supports writers.

3. Christina says:

SO glad you posted this! Well said. I was actually thinking the other day 'it's a good thing Elephant Journal cuts me off after a few articles or else I'd be on here all day and not work' so…I didn't want to subscribe bc then I'd have unlimited access and (good) distraction. BUT I would like to support the writers :)

4. jack says:

Not worth a buck. Poor content. Too much censoring of comments.

5. Catherine Beekmans Cat B says:

It costs less for me to subscribe than it does to grab lunch & get my toes done. For a whole YEAR of content. (Not only that, they thank you with gifts once you do pay!) And, thanks to the way elephant organizes and promotes, 95% of that content is stuff that I related to & loved reading. I subscribed before I ever started to contribute because seriously. Dudes. Just stop complaining, pay the tiny bit, and keep reading happily.

6. Janis says:

I first came across EJ a little over a year ago. After hitting my daily limit several times I decided to try the subscription for a year, I mean why not, it was only $12 for unlimited access. After my year was up I hit the daily limit again and quickly renewed. I really enjoy EJ. Some days I don't read any articles, some days I read a lot, some days I don't have the time so I just leave the page open in my browser so I can come back to it later (which is nice to do). I've been a working artist before so I know how hard it can be to get paid for what you do. I'm more than happy to pay for and support art that i enjoy, which includes writing.

7. elephantjournal says:

Another FB comment: Shelley M: So people say "its not worth a buck" huh?

I love EJ and it is so worth MY buck. In fact, worth much more. Witty, clever, emotional, passionate, political, spunky and enlightened writing. I love Waylon and the Gang.

I read EJ more than CNN… CNN just give me the news. EJ gives me hope!

Not worth a buck…

Hell, I find $6 or more in my dryer every week that I never even knew was missing! That's 6 months of EJ. In my dryer.

Not worth a buck…

Ridiculous. Go look in your damn dryer.

8. elephantjournal says:

Angela Grace Interesting. BTW, I like the choice to contribute for a certain article. My amazing intern (one to watch!), Kristy Gustafson, posted "Why I Practice" on my wall today which was some of the best writing I've read in awhile. Everyone in the process should get paid. I love how Bruce Lipton talks about how every cell in our body has a job, health insurance, and a paycheck and we can use that as a model for society as a whole. People should get paid . . . and if we forget or are too lazy to opt in (which I'm guilty of), then we should have a way to be firmly reminded. It's a matter of impeccability and I appreciate being held to that.

Waylon Lewis One note—we/I don't mind folks like you reading for free. It's like browsing a magazine. It's just for those who love reading us the most, who want to read a lot, who will naturally value elephant slightly—to the tune of $1/month! Also, you can get our weekly newsletter, 15 free links a week: http://www.elephantjournal.com/join-the-cause mwuah