The Happiest Cities, States & Countries: all in one Map. {Infographic}

Via on Aug 3, 2013

So, I guess I live in the happiest town on the happiest cluster of happiest cities in a happiest state…but in an only moderately happy country. Social countries ftw! Compassion for all ftw!

For source, context and more info: Huffington Post.

About elephant journal

22 Responses to “The Happiest Cities, States & Countries: all in one Map. {Infographic}”

1. MEB says:

Im calling BS on the Asheville ranking. Having lived there for the past 5 years I have seen up close the rampant poverty, homelessness, drug addiction, and abuse. People were forever talking about how "cool" asheville was when I told them I lived there, but the reality was very, very different. The city is dirty. There is very little in the way of industry and the infrastructure is sorely outdated. There is also a huge wealth disparity- old money on one end, and minimum wage on the other. So yes- if you want to barter chickens for yoga or be a "trustafarian" as locals lovingly called the hippies, then yes- Asheville is great. If you are trying to survive otherwise, you will wind up moving after a couple of years.

• Yea, I love Asheville but, I'll have to agree. Life is good for some. It's a great tourist spot. I live 2 hours away in the Piedmont of NC and would rather just stay where I am even though I like to visit Asheville. It's got a lot of new age/hippie/earthy/feel-good stuff but, I'm not convinced that it serves much of it's own population. NC has been hurting for jobs and Asheville is no exception. It's located in a beautiful place for sure. Hang in there MEB.

• TeddyBear says:

I just left….after living there 5 years. Totally agree. They do have a great marketing team though…because they are being marketing as AWESOME all over the place.

• Nasus says:

I agree with you on Asheville, I spent 2 months there and actually decided to move back up North. I could see the drug addiction, homelessness, and abuse quite clear. I wasn't very motivated to do much of anything while living there, so glad I left when I did.

• from the block says:

Any of these towns, Asheville included, are what you make of them. Many people choose to live in a city like Asheville because they enjoy the way of life, access to outdoor activities, the beer and/or food scene, etc. Yes, there are problems that most cities face but that doesn't mean the majority of folks are unhappy living here. I know many people that piece together a modest living with multiple jobs but are happy doing it because they love where they live.
      Living in a "happy" town doesn't guarantee everyone a job or the absence of societal issues. Furthermore, it's a ranking based on tweets about happiness, so I'm not sure how scientific the study is anyway!

2. Delighted to say that I live in Sweden (fourth bar on the right end), and I'm from 20 minutes south of Green Bay (orange dot). Nice way to start the day.

• Denise says:

I have to say that when I saw the study was based on the number of positive Twitter words coming out of the cities… it did not surprise me one bit that the home of the Packers was at the top!

3. Diana says:

I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. We held the Olympics in 1988. We experienced a unusual devasting flood June 24. Out City of just o er 1 million people came together and they are turning away volunteers, big hearts! This is the best city in Canada and we are 25 minutes from the mountains. We are very very fortunate to live here!

• Mike says:

I live in Massachusetts and used to work for a Calgary based company. I have to agree that Calgary is a wonderful city. Very clean, good things to do and the Rockies are amazing in all seasons. I used to bring my skis or my backpack with me and take extra days. I miss my visits.

4. mjrydsfast says:

Spending the first 27 years in Michigan, I can see why I left, ultimately for what was to be California. Sadly, now I'm in Florida and pushing hard to get back West.

5. Mikel says:

Colorado rocks…GREAT place to live, well, except for the traffic on I-25!

6. Emily Shaw says:

I wonder how Florida's scores are influenced by people on vacation Tweeting from Disneyworld, where they are cued to say they're tweeting from "the happiest place on Earth." Otherwise, happiness seems to have a lot to do with state-level population density.

7. Cliff says:

Critical thinking time. How many countries did they get data for? What countries were included, what countries were left out? Where was Bhutan in the rankings? How was happiness measured? How was happiness distinguished from delusion? Most critical thinkers will know that you can manipulate the result by manipulating the conditions and analysis. What matters is whether you are living in a manner that will increase happiness in yourself and others. Read any of the many books by the Dalai Lama.

8. proleisureracing says:

Spokane, WA ?!?! what?! Where's Bend, OR, Bozeman, MT and the countless other small mountain towns full of active, healthy and happy folks

• Mike says:

Agree. Bend is an awesome town.

• Erin says:

I'm guessing that the folks in those towns are indeed happy as you have experienced, because they are not spending their time tweeting happy or unhappy words, but are rather out living life.

9. Káli says:

SPOKANE! Wooooohooooo! <3

10. Having lived in Asheville for 17 years, I feel the need to defend this beautiful place in response to the Aville haters. I've lived in many places both within and outside the US. I'm here to tell you there is no perfect place. I love where I live because I don't worry about crime, the area is gorgeous, I get to hike every week in amazing places, I have many interesting, fun friends who have chosen to live here from many parts of the country, the food is good, yoga's excellent, many politically aware/active people. I've seen people come and go here, but the ones who stay seem to make life work very well.

11. Lysios says:

Colorado is second only to California (in number of cities on this map), but CA is so much larger ….

12. Jen says:

I love Slongmnt:)

13. Erin says:

I find it hard to take the results of a 'study' based on 'tweets' very seriously. First of all, only a slice of the population tweets, and albeit of a certain economic strata, therefore how can one claim to measure the overall happyness of a place if you are only sampling a specific group of people?