Things I would like to do with you in Time.

Via on Aug 25, 2013

love lovers

Photo: Henri Cartier-Bresson.

Five Things I would or would not like to do with you in Time.

“We lead our lives like water flowing down a hill,
going more or less in one direction until we splash into something that forces us to find a new course.” ~ Arthur Golden

You are out there and I am out here and this is not the time. But the time may come to pass: that is how time works. The only question that matters, now, then, is whether our hearts have connected, and can learn to breathe together.

If you had a spare hour, I would not want to see you. I would want you to take a break from your path and do something lovely for yourself. A massage, or a swim, or fun with friends…whatever you have not done for yourself that you are thirsty for.  Maitri. Space is love and I give that which can not be given to but can only be taken from you. And you need it: as you have said it provides ground for good things to come.

If you had a week, I would like to meet you somewhere–on your road, or in my hometown. We could dinner and go to a show and to a bar and play pool and laugh at each other and drink local beer and stay separately or together. I would rent something where we could climb to the roof. We could bicycle and go to a used bookstore and we could cuddle, and read outloud, if that is not too much. If that is still too much, we could just walk in the park. If that is too much, we could just go to a party, and be loud and fun and barely make eye contact, but warm one another in each other’s fires. If that is too much, we could just be naked, and sweat, and learn one another’s bodies and movements, like two new surfers learning to respect the water.

If that’s too much, we can forget one another, mostly, as we have our other lovers.

If you had two weeks, we could go on a little break, together, to a romantic retreat—Montana, or Big Sur, or Santa Fe—with nothing but space, big skies, warm waters, nothing to do but be.

If you had three weeks, however, we should go to Greece. White walls, blue walls, white sky, white sea, blue sea, blue greece love travel vacationskies. Your eyes. Your hair. Your bikini, my shorts, four tanned and sandy bare feet. What are the colors there? Blue, bright blue, pale blue, bluegreen, grayblue, bright pink flowers and sun, light pink and white tablecloth, white, white, white…I want to spend some time on the sea and in the islands. A painted lacquered wooden boat, your red dress. Impossibly blue sky and water. See-through white curtains in a hot breeze.

But if you had four weeks, and you were ready, which you are not, we should just be simple, together, in my hometown, and live life, and not do anything but hike, and drink coffee, and work, and laugh with my dog, and eat good food with many good friends, or alone, and climbrun together up along the creek into the mountains. We could text and make appointments with one another “what are you doing later?” and see each other when convenient. Like adults, like normal life, and see.

And that would be the best—to live everyday life with you. For I do not know you and though I seem dreamy and open, just beneath that layer I am waiting, my hope balanced with prajna. Three layers down, I am rational: that is where my hesitation and patience lies. But I am not afraid of exploring and finding out what lies over the edge of the flat earth, for it is not flat.

I am not afraid of anything but filling your space. You need and deserve that and I would not like to be a part of anything other than love in your life,

And as you and I both know, in our bones, in our blood, in our mindstream, in our calm moments, love is made up of space just as the earth is made up of water.

And my love includes laughter. The woodfire requires wood and oxygen, both. And I love to cut wood.

greece travel lovegreece travel vintage poster love

Read the first, Things I would like to do with you in the Woods, first.

greece vintage poster travel love

Read the second, Things I would like to do with you this Evening, second.

Read the third, Things I would like to Remember about our day in Vermont, here.

Read the fifth, Things I would like to do with you before I lose you, here.

greece travel poster vintage love

About Waylon Lewis

35 Responses to “Things I would like to do with you in Time.”

1. Meredith says:

Perfect. This puts into words exactly how I feel. I love how you use Time to capture this.

2. April says:

These are so sad, sweet and heart-breaking.

3. Liz says:

This is just lovely and thoughtful and kind and loving and mostly just what I wish someone would say to me …

4. Kimberly Lo kimberlylowriter says:

Love this!!

5. Brett says:

My love and I just decided to end things because the timing is wrong and the how isn't right. These posts are so sweet and I feel them with you.

6. DaveTelf says:

Way, I'd say you're inspired. Stay that Way!

7. Waylon, I adore this series. I love this particular line in this new addition: "Sighs are healthy, for they mix watery emotion with space and humour."

There's a lot of human insight in these pieces, not just about yourself, but about what love truly is.

8. Zoe Rei says:

Mmm this is wonderful.

9. Juan says:

I like the one and two week options. Enough time to know and plenty of time to know. I wish for this time with my Love.

10. Elmarie says:

You touched my heart and soul.

Beautiful. Thank you.

11. Ann Nichols imagineannie says:

I keep reading this again and again. I think that says it all.

12. This is the sweetest letter to the love one has yet to meet. I have met mine and his home is in Greece so here we are – having space in the ever changing impossible shades of blue – texting from the next room – till we meet for ipnaki (Greek afternoon nap) when it is too hot for anything but to lie in each other's arms. Thank you Waylon for sharing this knowing that there is indeed someone for us all – and love is not grand but simple – being alone – together.

13. Kate says:

My new favorite. Thank you!

14. Willow Black says:

Waylon, thank you! This is lovely beyond words. You have inspired me to be more mindful in appreciating all that us offered up to us. Beautifully written! Namaste.

15. andeejo says:

so lovely. it's wonderful in a strange way to read something by someone i don't know and will likely never meet that seems to speak in the same way i do in my head or the way i used to in my poetry… and my apparently still 14 year old heart thinks wow that must mean something! because that'swhatchyado. but the real reason it's lovely is that it isn't about you or me him or her or the dog or whoever else is reading or dreaming or thinking this subject, but about the human desire for connection and discovery and understanding… and also the contentment to just have the possibility exist out there somewhere but not be happening now and still be happy and at peace and enjoy knowing it exists somewhere in a parallel… and i really do love how you've been describing it lately :)

16. bedraggledandkicking says:

Incredibly beautiful: "If you had a day, I would fly anywhere in the country to see you, if only for an hour, and we could drink warm hot brown coffee and go for a walk and I would like to cry at the thought of seeing you and holding your hand, sitting on a bench, looking into the street together, seeing your profile from the other side. Sighs are healthy, for they mix watery emotion with space and humour"….

Though you are writing of many different kinds of moments, when someone you love dies, you'd give anything for another moment, if even just a minute, or a second, so precious is this life, and our time in it…I'd give anything to see my husband's profile again…

17. Jacinta says:

(sigh……) just lovely … opa!!

18. Julie says:

Heartbreaking…this hits a deep and painful spot in me is full of memories, love, beauty, breakup, longing.

19. Renee says:

This is stunning.

I could see every line with my mind's eye. And I felt such a wistfulness even thought there is no one in my present or past to attach it to…but then there was this:

Then I realized that it is my hope that I am experiencing. So, thank you.

20. Marisa says:

Beautiful ! Thank You. I am a fan

21. Lynn says:

Waylon ~ thank you for your words of wisdom ~ I’m reminded to be humble and grateful for what I have with my sweetheart and to take some space for me. Namaste

22. Tara says:

Makes my eyes well up…beautiful and real.

23. cemilygo says:

I read them, out of order,because I'm that way, and then in the order you wanted, and then singly. Thank you. Keep coming and going.

24. Tara says:

This paragraph kills me……"If you had a day, I would fly anywhere in the country to see you, if only for an hour, and we could drink warm hot brown coffee and go for a walk and I would like to cry at the thought of seeing you and holding your hand, sitting on a bench, looking into the street together, seeing your profile from the other side. Sighs are healthy, for they mix watery emotion with space and humour."

25. Adrienne Allison says:

Waylon, I no longer live in your hometown, but if I did, I would be bold and ask if you would want to meet, to sit across from you so I could read your eyes or walk next to you so I could feel your mood. Selfishly, I would want more than an hour, but less than a day, to soak up your eloquence and allow it to awaken my depth – for your words lead me back to a hope I lost long ago, a space I have dared not seek, for I have feared what you write does not exist, or does not exist for me.

26. sanaisa says:

I can barely breathe!

27. Liesl says:

Falling in love!

28. Jenna B Wiser says:

Absolutely beautiful!!! Makes me dream of love and new experiences with someone who lights my soul!!!

29. Kris says:

Just beautiful Waylon! Lovely! Thank you!

30. LP68 says:

I like the three week option….Greece. I'm ready, just let me know when!
    But yeah, wow, reading this makes me realize I don't have time for love or for even thinking about love or romance. It's just not on my radar. Seems like a luxury to be able to think about these things.. I wish I had time for love, and time and money to travel. Gosh, what am I doing with my life? Just work, work, work, that's all I do. I'm single, 46 years old, not at all living my dreams or seeing the world… So this piece inspires me, but not in the way it's probably intended to. It inspires me to find a way to really live life and see the world before I die and the piece makes me feel depressed about the current state of my life. I've got to take action…….so, thanks! Seriously!

31. I needed this. says:

THANK YOU. I am in this situation right now, love just moved halfway around the world. Thank you for putting this very feeling into words.

32. Riikka says:

i'm hypnotized by your words, and taken to this place within me that knows nothing but love.