This is Me, Naked. ~ Rebecca Lammersen {Nudity}

Via on Aug 11, 2013

This Is Me, Naked. ~Kevin Sutton Photography

“Ooh Mommy, nice tushy! I love your tushy!” I was sitting at my desk, on my laptop scrolling through the nudes I posed for earlier this summer.

My first reaction was to shut the screen, “Ruby can’t see these, they’re inappropriate. I’m naked!” Yet my response surprised me, “Thank you Ruby. Come look with me. Can you believe you were in my belly?”

“We practiced yoga together in your belly and I drank milk from your boobies too! I love you all Mommy.” She added as she gazed at the images.

I knew then what I needed to do with the pictures. The appreciation and awe in my daughter’s voice and eyes is the way I hope she will always appreciate herself.

She didn’t see the pictures as anything other than beautiful. There was no judgment, no questioning, just acceptance and admiration. We could all learn from Ruby. There is nothing wrong with nudity. Let’s celebrate it.

I have chosen to live my life naked. At first, it was unconscious—it just happened; but now it is deliberate. I write naked, I live naked, I love being naked and that’s how I will raise my daughters.

There is a freedom I feel every day, knowing I have nothing to hide. My friends, family, students and strangers know my inner most thoughts and secrets. I don’t live on the surface anymore, I don’t waste time. When we meet, we go deep immediately. They are comfortable with me, as I am with them. Now that I know what it is like to live naked, I never want to suit up again.

My hope for my daughters is to grow up without the weight of self consciousness, loathing and deprecation. I am teaching them to embrace and honor their bodies and live in their sensuality. It is a blessing for a girl to be raised by a mother who is comfortable in her skin, her head and her heart. They will in turn become women who adore themselves and express themselves however they feel compelled.

I am paving the way for them, so they never feel they have to restrain themselves, from being themselves.

For most of my life, I was afraid to love my body. In fact, I did everything I could not to love it. I was not loving my insides either. I’ve changed. I am no more naked in these photos than I am in my writings; it is the same in my perspective.

****

This short sequence of imagery captures (in form) my internal process when I write.

I sit as the quiet introvert consumed with apprehension, “Do I really want to expose this? Do I want to share something so intimate?”

Timid. ~Kevin Sutton Photography

As I write, I become more comfortable. I settle in. Without knowing, the cloth falls, the fear melts away, releasing my heart.

This Is Me, Naked. ~Kevin Sutton Photography

Unconsciously, the armor falls to the floor, unveiling the powerful goddess who patiently awaits her entrance.

I am as powerful as I am vulnerable.

Since I can recall, my back body has always felt more private and fragile than my front body. When I see this picture of myself in high heels, no make up, bare and raw, my hands against the window it reminds me of how I feel when I release my writing into the world.

There is no one to protect me, I am completely exposed. I can’t use my hands to cover up. I can’t predict the reaction, all I can do is trust myself and my intention. I can’t fight back or defend, I can only stand there, naked.

This Is Me, Naked. ~Kevin Sutton Photography

****

There comes a time if and when we are ready, we will be granted a glimpse of ourselves as the world sees us. This last week, I received this gift. I saw myself through my daughter’s eyes—I am beautiful from the inside out and the outside in.

I love myself for everything I am and everything I’m not. This is me, naked.

Like elephant journal on Facebook.

Ed: Bryonie Wise

About Rebecca Lammersen

Rebecca Lammersen is the founder of Yogalution, a donation based yoga studio in Scottsdale, AZ. I love being alive. I love being a mother. I love teaching yoga. I love to write. I love to know. I love to not know. I love to learn. I love to listen. I love to read. I love to travel. I love to dance. I love to help. I love to serve. That pretty much sums me up. Check out Rebecca's website and her articles at The Huffington Post. Subscribe to Rebecca's feed and never miss a post!

If you liked this, you might like these:

31 Responses to “This is Me, Naked. ~ Rebecca Lammersen {Nudity}”

1. Isabella says:

Thank you for sharing your all encompassing beauty with us, your words and images are extraordinary. I wish I could be so naked to the world.

2. adventurousandrea says:

This is so beautiful. I absolutely love how you handled your daughter's curiosity. Another sort of reaction – one that was based on fear or shame – could've created a totally different perception of nudity in her sweet, moldable mind.

3. bneal817 says:

So breathtakingly beautiful, so brave, so sensual, so honest, so deep… I'm in awe, Rebecca.

Jai Ma! ~ Ben

4. Benjo Dans says:

There is such a different feeling when one is naked … Vulnerable, sensual, and free.

Religion has put such a taboo on sensuality and love but continues to allow expressions of violence. I wonder how much better our little world would be if nobody wore any clothes at all. What happens to money since we have no convenient place to put it? How differently would we design technology like cell phones? Are clothes an equalizer or do we use them as a mask for our flaws? Does it disallow us to accept and love ourselves by their very nature?

Just me … Benjo

5. Dhruva says:

Thank you Rebecca, what you write takes our neuroses and inhibitions right to the edge. I remember my mum walking around the house naked when I was young. I have always found beauty in the naked form without it being overly sexual.

I love your body, your style and how you are educating your children, just beautiful and brave!!!

6. Mark says:

Lovely pics. Great article!

7. encounterillumination says:

For those of us with daughters, this was especially thought-provoking and the synchronicity with a conversation a friend and I were having yesterday, is truly remarkable!! thank you

8. Thank you for sharing with us the beauty of words and the images are very nice.

9. Amy says:

Any insights for us women with saddle bags and cellulite? It's harder to feel comfortable naked when we're bombarded with images of fat-free perfection. I'm not trying to cast a negative vibe on your article, I'm just pointing out a very real viewpoint that I think many women share.

• Hi Amy,
      My insight is, embrace your figure as it is and if you are not happy with it, do something about it. I know it sounds harsh but we have a choice to change. Instead of comparison, try appreciation. Images are not destroying women, women are choosing to destroy their self image by comparing themselves to everyone else.
      I know plenty of women (including myself) who have cellulite and/or saddle bags and love their bodies. Being comfortable naked really has nothing to do with the shape of our bodies, it's an internal comfort which permeates outward. My suggestion would be, strip down and take some pictures, you might be pleasantly surprised with what you see. email me and let me know how it goes if you'd like. :) Rebecca

10. Steve says:

You are beautiful. No matter what you look like.

11. Alexandra says:

Thank Y O U!!!!

12. sanjeev says:

Rebecca, You are absolute beautiful. Like an angel.. I pray that a woman like you come into my life.

13. George says:

you are such a gorgeous creature & i would wish you were in my heart & soul ♥

14. Sara Bex says:

I can't even explain how much I admire you for this and all your other pieces on here that I've been reading. You are absolutely gorgeous, Rebecca. Seriously, you're my new woman crush. ;) I admire your humanness and willingness to express that despite what is considered "socially acceptable." You have something I and surely many others seek — that fearless, bold, rooted connection. I am sure it took a journey of struggle and pain to get there, from what I've gathered based on other pieces you've written, but it's just that — a journey. And look where you are now. You're incredible.
    With much love, respect, and admiration,
    Sara

15. raisa says:

i love that you're doing this. celebrating your body. i would challenge you though – these images still feel like you are trying to make them quite pretty. i think there is more vulnerability to have in stripping the prettiness off. a rawness in the less 'sexy' but more viscerally pure, real, less controlled. not that you could look un-sexy, it seems you have a very sexy, attractive body. it would be great to see women with 'less appealing' bodies celebrating themselves in this way.

16. just wonderin says:

i admire your unrenownded courage. i dont think i could be nearly as confident as you, i even feel hatred for myself just being naked when im alone and i wish i didnt. i hope i can be as peaceful in mind as you one day

17. Matt Miller says:

Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed hearing the part about you loving you insides. I know you are thankful for this as well. What was it or what happened in your life that made you take on such a wonderful change? I have come across a lot of women that feel that way and I’m always trying to state the positives to help them get where you are with yourself and stay there. You present a very inspiring message. I love it!

18. Ashley says:

I realize I’m commenting on this months after the fact but I simply have to. This is amazing and I applaud you in how you handled that delicate situation with your daughter. I, like you, spent years not appreciating my body and I hope to one day teach my children to love their bodies and be free spirits. This is a beautiful piece. I’m currently reading through your articles on here and I’m in awe. You’re an inspiration. Never change :)

19. Alice says:

I love how you mentioned you back side and how even myself have felt that way about the back view of women. its this beauty they carry.

20. Ana Sofía Ferrara says:

Wow Rebecca, congrats! It is very kind of you to tell us that this was not always how you felt, but that you were afraid before to love your body and your inside feelings. And I agree completely, that by doing this you are helping your daughters. I wish my mom had loved her body, mind, and soul, and that I would have learnt it from her! I will do this self love and pass it on.

21. elephantjournal says:

This is a pretty harsh and judgemental comment to make, NamaStay. Are you comfortable in your own skin? What about this offends you so much that you feel the need to knock the author down? How about putting your thoughts into writing a piece for us, in a constructive manner?
    ~ Bryonie

22. Just as I have responded to everyone with 'positive comments' I say the same to you–Thank you so much. I appreciate your insight. Very true–for you.

Here is something I heard recently from my therapist–She referred to Brene Brown after her TED talk, she was ridiculed for the way she looked etc. Do you know what she said? She said (paraphrased), "Sorry, you don't get to vote. If you are not putting yourself out there, being vulnerable and speaking what is your truth to the world (also), you don't get to vote."
    Because the people that do put themselves out there as I am are supportive because they know what it takes.

I am happy to offer a platform for others to voice their own perceptions. The people who commented above, their comments are not about me, they are about them, how they feel about themselves. When you feel well about yourself you feel well about others, no matter what you think their motive is.

Thank you for your vote. I look forward to reading your work. ~Rebecca