Via on Aug 14, 2013

SAMSARA food sequence from Baraka & Samsara on Vimeo.

“Holy Sh-t! Without Saying a Word This 6 Minute Short Film Will Make You Speechless.”

“This is a clip from Samsara by Ron Fricke and Mark Magidson, and is just a glimpse of what is really a lovely non-verbal film about time, history, art, culture and modernization. Recommended.” Trailer

About elephant journal

9 Responses to “This Silent Film is Beautiful & Horrible & Profound in its Simple Meaning for our Life.”

1. Photoredde says:

I would love to know more about this video and where it came from? It’s not cited back to anything and no hint on its creator or more information. I love the work of Elephant Joirnal but really am disheartened that there is all too often no tag backs or citing for more information. Would you please give credit where it’s due?

• elephantjournal says:

Nice generalization. We source the hell out of stuff, always. This one, I didn't, because I've worked a 17 hour day and wanted to offer this up, nevertheless. The video, via the title, is one google search away—quicker than leaving a comment—or you can click the vimeo video itself, which is hosted by the creators.

Here's the blog I found it on. You'll notice: not even one word of source or intro. http://www.filmsforaction.org/watch/without_sayin

But that's okay, because, again, you can click the damn video. Allow me to do that for you: "La surconsommation désigne un niveau de consommation situé au-dessus de celui des besoins normaux ou d'une consommation moyenne.

Image provenant du film Samsara : Samsara est un mot tibétain qui signifie la roue de la vie, un concept à la fois intime et vaste, qui définit l'âme de chacun."

Anything else? At your service.

Yours in the Vision of a more Enlightened Society,

Waylon

• Ziggy3339 says:

It's alright, Waylon. I read you worked a 17 hour day. The "poster" was probably as rattled as I was after viewing and perhaps was also beside him/her self. Hope you're rested and rejuvenated.

2. Jessica says:

This is from Samsara! It showed at the Maui Film Festival 2 years ago. Couldn’t stop thinking about it for days.

3. joan says:

Wow that reply from Waylon was very angry and aggressive. I have just come to this website and was loving it but am now getting it off my Facebook and email list as I don't find that attitude very mindful or loving…

4. Stacey says:

This is from the movie Samsara. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0xVp3N-M84

5. Auren says:

Reminds me why I am a vegetarian.

6. Tony says:

That was like watching a horror movie. A searing indictment on humanity and it's obsession with consumerism, whether it's buying things or stuffing things into our mouths, either way the planet and all life on it are suffering because of our greed and selfish stupidity. I mean, just how fat do some people want to be! Factory farmed animals and factory farmed humans, I couldn't really see the difference between the two.

As for Joan's response to Waylons reaction to a commentator; I would interpret Waylon's answer as less angry and aggressive more irritation at the laziness and/or stupidity of the commentator. Or as Denis Leary once said, Get a helmet! Jeez.

7. Ziggy3339 says:

Most disturbing video I've ever seen in my 60+ years. That said, I'm sensitive also to much regular news on TV. Here's the deal (for me): it was an awesome brave post. It was probably dangerous to make as well . Yes, it's helping me to know with mindfulness what I'm truly doing. I eat meat, bird, pigs, etc. raised with thinking that it was good for people, it's complete protein & very hard to maintain other ways because "those people" often don't get what's needed to be truly healthy. When I lived in L.A. It was easy to access healthy food , restaurants, etc. Now I'm in a southern state, small city & no true health food places. It's time to be proactive I see that now. Appreciate the "push" in the right direction. Really. Most people here may not need this but here's one who read it, watched it and have made changes directly due to the haunting visuals that continue to dwell in my heart. Put it on my FB page for my strong friends with a warning. It's like Johnny Appleseed, and here's one seed that is growing from you, the one who posted this. Hug.