Do This Practice & Nail the Handstand. ~ Jenna Penielle Lyons

Via Jenna Penielle Lyons on Sep 11, 2013

Screen shot 2013-09-11 at 12.41.40 PM

For many yogis and yoginis, handstand and forearm balances are the pinnacle of difficulty. Some people—myself included—are simply scared to turn their worlds upside down.

But like most things worth achieving, handstand takes practice and patience.

“First month paining, second month tired, third month flying.” ~ Sharath Jois

And the best way to achieve something—particularly in yoga—is to practice it. Little by little, we gain strength and purpose. I had been going to yoga classes for a few years and practicing handstand once or twice at the very end of class. It simply was not enough to make me build up the strength in my core, arms, shoulders and back. I wanted a more advanced class that made me do the posture many times.

I found a video on YouTube by Yogi Nora, a goofy and gorgeous yogi who has a style similar to my own. She mixes Vinyasa Flow rhythm with Ashtanga movements for an athletic and difficult practice. She advocates for a deeper practice—a more physical approach to yoga.

Her attitude: If a posture isn’t stretching you, press into it deeper. Challenge yourself. Practice…a lot. Elongate whenever possible. Do every sequence three times, making each one harder as you go. And most importantly to me, do handstands and forearm balances before and after every  vinyasa. Take ownership of the practice you are currently doing in order to create a pathway to the practice you want to be doing.

This yogi is as silly as she is beautiful, sculpted and skilled. She has a California twang to her talk, and she uses funny Nora-isms throughout the entire class, some of which made me laugh out loud. It’s always nice when yoga teachers—especially the awesome ones—make you laugh in the middle of a really hard practice. But she reeks of discipline and perseverance.

This YouTube class by Yogi Nora is what finally made me practice my handstand enough to get it. Warning: If you are not confident in your handstand or forearm balance abilities, do the class next to a wall at first. You have to have a solid foundation in yoga to even attempt this practice.

YouTube Preview Image

If this class is too hard, Yogi Nora has several other Beginner or Intermediate classes, also found on YouTube.

I came out of this class with dead arms and a happy mind. I knew that I had tried my hardest for the entire 1:13:13 class… every moment was important in the practice. I nailed postures (that I had never been able to do in sequence!) and exited them gracefully.

I think that you will be able to do the same if you practice and dedicate your mind, body, and soul to it.

Like elephant yoga on Facebook.

Ed: Sara Crolick

About Jenna Penielle Lyons

Jenna Penielle Lyons was born in Portales, New Mexico among sage and sand. Raised in Pocatello, Idaho among the black rock and juniper, she grew up wandering in cowboy boots, running, riding bikes, skiing, climbing, painting, and studying classical ballet. She is a scholar of English Literature, a poet, painter, photographer, musician, and outdoorswoman. She winters in Missoula and spends the summer working for Snake River Hotshots. She is a lover of mountain bluebirds & elephants, tea & good coffee, Carl Jung, Salvador Dali, skiing, climbing in the desert, yoga, harp music, and sagebrush. Her favorite foods are borscht and any combination of chocolate and cayenne pepper. Follow her adventures at The Lyon’s Roar.

10 Responses to “Do This Practice & Nail the Handstand. ~ Jenna Penielle Lyons”

1. Jay says:

BEAUTIFUL! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!

2. Molly says:

I believe yoga is about creating balance and that the physical side of yoga, Asana, is only the 3rd branch of the 8. It is meant to be a transitory part of yoga, not all of it, and 4-5 hours a day is extreme. I think this a bit of imbalance and the comments of the writer on judging someone on the physical appearance is very dangerous territory to get into, especially with yoga. With all respect to this yogini and all others, I would prefer to hear a more balanced approach. I wish you all well. Namaste.

• Will says:

I would agree with you, Molly. Any physical posture in yoga can be a wonderful challenge. But to push yourself mindlessly to simply achieve an outer goal of handstand is missing the point of yoga. This is where we lose the essence of the practice and it becomes simply about calisthenics – yet another aggressive competition to be better, grasp more, have more. In a true practice of yoga, it is not about attainment of the posture but our inner experience of the journey toward it that matters. I was disappointed by the tone and focus of this article, even though I was interested in finding useful good technique to master the posture.

• Jenna Penielle Lyons The Lyoness says:

Nobody ever said that Asana is the most important branch of the practice. However, some folks only do yoga for the workout, and this article is meant to encourage those who are frustrated with a specific posture. If Nora has a rockin' bod because of her practice (and if she likes practicing for 4-5 hours a day), then more power to her and it's not something for you to judge her on!
      Blessings,
      J.

3. Jen says:

This "stretch more, do more, harder, harder, harder" mentality is antithetical to calmly meeting your authentic self. This is exercise fanaticism. I love a challenging practice, but this "approach" can easily be dangerous to physical and mental wellbeing. I also looked at her Yin video and was appalled. She clearly doesn't understand Yin at all, and is not skillful in her transmission of that practice.

• karlsaliter says:

Really Jen? Direct quotes from the video: “Being kind is big, so please be kind. Stay really calm in the heart. Really slow motion. Slow and steady is the way of the yogi. So slow it down.”

• Jalpan says:

Karlsaliter: maybe you missed an important "direct quote from the video:" "so we're gonna do pickups. Everytime. No excuse."

At 1:32.

4. karlsaliter says:

Thanks Jenna, good find. Hadn't heard of her.

5. Jes says:

Thank you for this post! She has a beautiful grace to her practice.

6. JWL says:

I see all 8 limbs happening in her effort/non-effort. If you don't call that a full absorption what is? Super clear, super calm and super kind no matter what pose or no pose. This is a fruit of a longtime practice. She is by no mean asking people to stretch their limit. Enjoy it for what it is – an inspiration.