No Men Were Harmed in the Making of This Video. {Adult}

Via on Sep 2, 2013

Thicke 1

This, from a group of New Zealand Law Students who took exception to Robin Thicke’s Blurred Lines video.

It’s smart, it’s sassy, it’s intelligent, and it pokes fun in just the right way. In New Zealand, we call that taking the piss.

Gender-flipping is the way to make obvious how much bullshit goes on in music videos when it comes to the way women are portrayed. It looks so ridiculous when men are asked to behave in a similar, yet watered-down way.

We’re spoon-fed so much media which still objectifies women (mostly—yes, men are objectified too). But we’ve become so conditioned to it… the lines have blurred. Creative responses like this call ‘Bullshit.’

Thicke 2It heartens me to see this video, because it brings about balance.

I don’t believe in censorship per se, so I wouldn’t want Robin’s video banned for being ‘inappropriate’ or any such thing. Instead, allowing a call and response shows what’s actually going on in our society. That video reveals what many men do think, and what may actually be true in some way shape or form.

Yes, sometimes women do say no when they want to say yes because they’ve got this idea that they need to be a good girl. Hell, I’ve been that girl. I’ve repressed my own desires; however, I would never have paired exploring that idea with a music video like Robin Thicke’s which portrays something else entirely different.

The women in his video aren’t expressing their own strong, centered sexuality, but acting out a subservient male fantasy. And that is bullshit.

Thank god for intelligent responses like this. With no further ado, here are the New Zealand Law Students.

YouTube Preview Image

About Kara-Leah Grant

Kara-Leah Grant is the author of Forty Days of Yoga - Breaking down the barriers to a home yoga practice, and the publisher of New Zealand’s own awsome yoga website, The Yoga Lunchbox. A born & bred Kiwi who spent her twenties wandering the world and living large, Kara-Leah has spent time in Canada, the USA, France, England, Mexico, and a handful of other luscious locations. Now back at home, and playing solo mum to her young son, she loves to stop, drop and practice - breathing, moving and dancing.

(We use PayPal but you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

9 Responses to “No Men Were Harmed in the Making of This Video. {Adult}”

1. debradeangelo says:

It's very cute and sassy, and it makes a point, but… it vilifies men with one sweep. So, it doesn't really move us forward either, it just widens the divide. All men are not the enemy. The enemy is sexism.

2. Belinda says:

It's a parody done well. Go hard kiwi gals!

3. Katrina Kunstmann says:

So I went to ComiCon this year and on the Exhibit Floor the FOX booth played this song every day on repeat for like an hour when they handed out this one item. I worked the FOX booth the first day as a volunteer so I had the pleasure of listening to it non-stop during that time while also trying to not look like miserable bitch while managing the FOX booth queue. So I already hated this song without knowing its name or who wrote it, nor had I ever seen the video. Now I know the entire shebang behind it and my hatred has been upgrade to loathing. I die a little on the inside whenever I hear it.

4. Rachel says:

If the insulting sexist comments towards men were done tongue-in-cheek to make a point, then well-done! if, however, they were sincerely blaming men for sexism, then I'm not so excited. Sexism is divisive; the antidote has to come from a place of love and compassion or it just furthers the divide. That said, I love the way they handled an otherwise painful issue with humor.

5. It is an interesting thing – is making such a video just perpetrating the same thing that the original video makers did – objectifying sexism? Or is the gender-flipping nature of the video a way of drawing attention to how damn ridiculous it is? Not so much making fun of men per se, but making fun of the entire set-up – the way that women are often portrayed in videos like this?

Does it vilify men? I'm not so sure. When I watched it, I felt like it was saying, look how silly it is to treat men like this… so why do we not perceive as silly when we do it to women? It didn't feel like the women in this video were saying men were the enemy – it felt like they were using the lyrics of the song to directly respond to what Robin was saying with Blurred Lines – they were responding to him.

6. Charlotte says:

On the surface I want to like this (and kinda do) but there's something that makes me feel 'icky' when I drop into my soul about it as the tit-for-tat nature of it. I'm not sure this is the way we will ultimately be able to move forward beyond sexism. Anyway, great humour, clever lyrics and Go Kiwis!

7. ShutUpAndGoClean says:

The following pic sums it all: http://teamoyeniyi.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/de

8. Bel says:

I'm not gonna lie.. those guys are hot.

9. Ally says:

Admirable, well spoken. But for less anger and more equanimity, try on Mod Carousel's (http://youtu.be/tKfwCjgiodg) exacting gender swap comeback. Clearly, these artists know turn about is fair play.