That Kind of Love. {Poem}

Via on Sep 5, 2013

romeo juliet love shakespeare

I never plan to write poetry, it just happens.

It’s like a dust storm that blows through my hand and soils the paper with words. I wrote this in under 10 minutes right before I fell asleep the other night. It poured out of me.

I love writing poetry, because it doesn’t have to be perfect or even make sense, it is simply what my heart is singing in that moment and thank goodness I usually have a pen nearby.

Here’s my latest gust. Enjoy.

That Kind of Love

Yeah, I believe in love.
The kind you can’t hide from, you know?

The kind of love you miss when
he gets up to go to the bathroom,
or to get a glass of water,
and he walks back in,
like a soldier, comin’ home from an eighteen month deployment.

That kind of love.

The kind of love, when you meet for the first time,
you know he’s the one you want to give your love to—all of it,
hand it over like he was robbing you in the alley,
and your life depended on it.
Even if he ran and you never saw him again,
you’d give him everything you’ve got, cause it’s that kind of love.

The kind of love that drowns you,
in conversations until two in the morning about everything and anything.
You can’t remember the starting point,
you just know you don’t want it to end.

The kind of love television is ban from,
and, when you do watch a movie,
you are more fascinated with the dialogue between your limbs and your fingers to his stubble.
Yeah, that kind of love.

The kind of love that can’t get any deeper,
because if it did you might never surface again.
Like getting pummeled by the wave you just couldn’t catch in time—
Only to get swept in it’s somersault.
There is no way to swim out of it—
You are part of it now.
Up or down doesn’t exist.
Yeah, that kind of love.

The kind of love you can’t fight,
because if you do,
you will always lose, it will overtake you,
despite your efforts.

The kind of love that is impossible to find and impossible to keep,
so you don’t even try.
If it finds you,
you are captured and you have to surrender.

The kind of love that has been stalking you your whole life,
only to become part of the slide show—
you and he growing up in parallel universes,
through the seasons of t-ball and dance classes,
fishing trips and graduations and then,
you t-bone one another somewhere a third through your life,
when you’d given up,
and loneliness became your boyfriend.

The kind of love that uncovers a smile you never knew existed,
and a lightness borrowed from the clouds.

The kind of love that doesn’t want to be patient,
but must learn to be,
because you can’t feel this way, this fast—
It’s not right.
Yeah, that kind of love.

The first date was the final date,
and then, you were just together,
like you had always been.

A kind of love that isn’t kind to time,
it doesn’t want to wait anymore,
it wants to break free and create it’s own clock.

It isn’t great love.
It isn’t making love.
It isn’t perfect love—
It’s life.

The kind of love that brings you to life,
never to die again.
You can’t die,
not with this kind of love in your heart.
You are immortal now.
Yeah, that kind of love.

by Rebecca Lammersen

Like elephant love on Facebook.

Ed: Bryonie Wise

About Rebecca Lammersen

Rebecca Lammersen is the founder of Yogalution, a donation based yoga studio in Scottsdale, AZ. I love being alive. I love being a mother. I love teaching yoga. I love to write. I love to know. I love to not know. I love to learn. I love to listen. I love to read. I love to travel. I love to dance. I love to help. I love to serve. That pretty much sums me up. Check out Rebecca's website and her articles at The Huffington Post. Subscribe to Rebecca's feed and never miss a post!

45 Responses to “That Kind of Love. {Poem}”

1. Lisa M. Kuenzi says:

Wonderful! Thank you! Agreed. :-)

2. DeAnne says:

Awesome! Love "that kind of love"! Made me think of my love! <3

3. kitten says:

sweet…now thats some good Love.

4. Karen says:

Bravo Rebecca!! That Something is what I've always wanted, always believed deep down that it exists. You wrote what my heart and soul are singing now, it was worth the wait….he was worth the wait. There is no coincidence to me reading your peace at this moment in time. Thank you for seeing into my soul

5. Jillian Locke jillianlocke says:

I love this and I love you for writing it! You just made my heart smile BIG – THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. emilyo says:

Oh Rebecca it's beautiful! Thank you for sharing. This poem makes me smile and reminds me I've got that kind of love : )

7. Love this, Rebecca!!!! xoxox

8. Justin says:

true to life

9. I absolutely love this line: "The kind of love that is impossible to find and impossible to keep,
    so you don’t even try." So much truth and beauty in those few words!

10. Deb says:

I love this!! Beautiful..goosebumps..yeah..goosebumps

11. tracy says:

Beautifully written!!!! So glad a friend shared this with me….I am half of a partnership that is that kind of love :-)

12. Wendy says:

This is so beautiful, I just love it. Great work!

13. Chitra says:

This is a wonderful poem. Thank You so much for sharing Rebecca as after reading your poetry I also could write something similar. Felt like sharing it here.

~~Two kinds of love~~

There are two kinds of love
    One that the normal humans talk about
    And the other that saints talk about

There are two kinds of love
    One that takes you to another exciting world
    And the other that simply makes you feel at home

There are two kinds of love
    One that wants you to possess and be possessed
    And the other that sets you both free from each other

There are two kinds of love
    One where your heart skips a beat
    And the other which is a reason for each heart beat

14. ahsamon says:

Beautiful! I look forward to experiencing that kind of love.

15. Stephanie says:

absolutely loved this. touched me deeply

16. Laura says:

So happy I experienced and married that kind of love. Beautifully written, thank you.

17. jonathan lehman says:

Wow! Reading that gave me vertigo and caused my heart to pound in my throat thinking about my own love. I have read three of your posts on E.J. and they have all been great. Excellent writing.

18. Daniela says:

Beautiful…hermoso…Thank u for sharing.

19. hamza jan says:

I learned all the things which I want and happy after reading poem. Thanks

20. Dan says:

You…in these words defined the precise form of intimate, intense, and absolutely amazing love that I share with the woman I will be spending the rest of whenever with. She is for me….and I for her…"That Kind Of Love"

Thank you Rebecca for posting this. You truly have an amazing talent and heart and I am thankful for your gift of sharing with the world your insight and knowledge. It's truly inspiring!

21. Dan says:

22. Amy says:

I am an idealist. I believe in "That Kind of Love". Most people never get to experience it. You did an amazing job of putting into words, something that I could not. It is an all-consuming feeling that you can't forget, much less understand. Beautiful poem!

23. Josie says:

It doesn’t exist.

24. angeladildine says:

I am in "that kind of love" and wow, you put these feelings I have in such perfect words. Thank you.

25. amber says:

Oh woman….yes!

26. jillmelanie8 says:

This really touched me

27. Teresa says:

This exists! I know because you described perfectly my love between my husband David and I!! You captivated me with your words as they laid out the blessing of Love I am grateful to have yet more astonishingly I am amazed I do my part in it! Thank you!!

28. zondra3triana says:

wow… and everything in this poem is so easy to relate to!! i kept picturing myself, and all that i have lived…. its as if u wrote down a few of my own memories!!! and i could see him.. and the time i spent with him…. all over again…. and i remembered how it felt to fall in love again… that kind of love…

29. I could feel every word you said here.. This is exactly what has been on my mind … This is one of my favorite poems for a long time Keep pouring your heart Rebecca. It heals our soul as much s yours. Love, Peace & Light to you! :)

The kind of love that doesn’t want to be patient,
    but must learn to be,
    because you can’t feel this way, this fast—
    It’s not right.
    Yeah, that kind of love.

30. jamie clark says:

That is the kind of love I have been looking for. Bravo, well said powerful poem

31. Amy E says:

This poem makes me melt. It's the kind of love I'd like to experience. Just beautiful!

32. Leanne says:

I like to read something I wish I wrote…I certainly feel it. Thanks.