Just like a light switch flickered off, it’s suddenly as cold as the Grinch’s heart here in Colorado; we’ve already got our first salting of snow!
And you know what that means: Soup. Soup. Every damned day.
There really is nothing like it, right? The warmth a spoonful of soup can bring to a body is unmatched.
Here’s a hearty recipe anyone can pull together quickly: it’s got the warm flavor of poblano peppers and red potatoes, and all the protein we can get from chickpeas.
Add some veggies, and we’ve got ourselves a nutrition-packed power soup, sure to kick that cold feeling right outta our bodies.
For this easy, warming recipe, we’ll need:
• 1 7-ounce jar of tomato paste (my pick: here)
• ½ cup Dijon mustard
• 2 tablespoons basil
• 2 tablespoons oregano
• 2 small dashes ground cayenne pepper
• 8 – 10 cups filtered water
For the “sustenance”:
• 3 cups cooked chickpeas
• 1 large poblano pepper, diced
• 6 – 7 medium red potatoes, cubed
• 2 cups green peas
• 1 cup and cubed carrots
• 1 cup sliced celery
1. Add all of the base/broth ingredients to a large pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low to simmer.
2. Add in “the sustenance” ingredients. Let entire pot simmer together for at least 30 minutes.
Like elephant journal on Facebook
Assist Ed: Bronwyn Peachtree/Ed: Sara Crolick
hot on elephant
July’s Full Moon in Capricorn: The Heart wants what it Wants. The 4 Stages of a Good Divorce. How to Love a Woman who Scares You. Our Soulmates are Rarely Who We Expect. I Still Think of You. Men, Let’s Stop Fooling Ourselves: Size Matters. To the One Who Tried to Break Me. An Open Letter to the Fixers. How your Stored Memories in the Amygdala can lead to PTSD. How My Sister’s Death Transformed my Self-Perception.