Via on Oct 9, 2013

Update: NY Times: Backstory on Malala:

Just watched this, this morning. Such bravery, poverty, anger, cultural obstacles, and a love for education as a means for uplift.

YouTube Preview Image

YouTube Preview Image

YouTube Preview Image

“Malala Yousafzai amazing answer on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.”

Watch the full episode here, on The Daily Show.

This girl appreciates education more than most of us appreciate life itself. Such strength in her peace, compassion and ideals. “The moment” begins at 4:10 (but watch the whole thing, she’s riveting, inspiring).

“Malala Yousafzai giving an emotional answer about how she would treat a member of the Taliban if he came to her house. Taken from The Daily Show dated 2013.10.08.”

Sufficiently inspired? Check out / Donate to the malalafund.org.

The full interview:

About Waylon Lewis

(We use super-secure PayPal—but don't worry—you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

16 Responses to “Jon Stewart’s 3-second reaction to Malala Yousafzai words gave me chills & made me cry. {Video}”

• Ziggy3339 says:

I was glad to see it on TV when I heard she'd be on. Every time I hear her speak I'm inspired and motivated to be better. I think how strong she is, how convicted and how wonderfully she communicates to everyone. She has a spirit of forgiveness in the face of horror and her heart is fully intact. She is beautiful and I'm so happy that I've found it again here so I could listen once again to her. She is a gift to the entire world right now (in my opinion). May the highest in me reach the highest in her and protect her always.

1. Hey, so I'm wondering how the headline of this article turned into a focus on Jon Stewart's cute but so-what-really-in-the-scheme-of-things reaction, rather than about Malala?? Is there some kind of 'more people will click on it and see it' logic that supposedly justifies this??

Or is this just another example of our culture's insane focus, even on a 'mindful' website, on ensuring the rich, white, middle-aged man gets the kudos and attention even in the face of world-rocking, life-changing courage and commitment to peace demonstrated by a relatively poor, young, brown woman…..

I mean…. FOR *&#$^s SAKE!! Jon's REACTION gave you chills?? His capacity to be impressed by her words made you cry???

I will re-headline the article for my own sense of right: "Malala Yousafzai's words gave me chills and made me cry." Yeeeeahh.

2. elephantjournal says:

Patte Flynn If this young woman does not deserve the Nobel Peace Prize, no one does. No one.

Theresa Shriver-Metri You can not convince me that with children this courageous and compassionate that there is not hope for the future of our world. What an amazing and beautiful human spirit.

Wendy Andrews This title? Really? Malala Yousafzai gave me chills and made me cry, not the 3 second reaction of Jon Stewart.

Kathy Baker Kramer This girl is my hero and I'm old enough to be her mother. We adults could learn a lot from her.

Laura Janke So brave and courageous. I heard once the world would be saved by a twelve year old girl…maybe this is her.

Michael Moyer She is completely selfless. Admirable.

Craig Olsson Malala can teach the world. I can learn from her.

Kelly Brannan Wilkes AMAZING!

Felicia Gastelum A true World Hero

Oz Threecaster Mom told me if I hear gunshots, to run away….
    I told her… "Where I am right now… I am likely to walk towards the sounds…"

Alison Reynolds She is amazing!

Sandhya Prem Great woman!!

Truis de Weerd This compassion and insight is what Buddhism is all about. Nice to see what I was taught displayed here, that all religions will get you there, you just need to follow the one that speaks to you. What a beautiful human being.

Audrey Breiding Renner Wow, when I grow up I want to be like her. Never mind that I'm twice her age

Johanna Bresnan Why I love this sweet child. May she live to tell her great grand kids of her commitment to not be like the Taliban, but to be her highest self. May she be able to continue her work for the girls of her country.

Verna Chan Bless her, we need more like that!

Jessica Valentine LOVE

Paula Foxx Beautiful!

Rebecca Berggren made me teary too last night. I was wondering if it had the same affect on everyone else. now i know.

Dorian Petri Abel Amazing.

Linda Leyden Illiano Remarkable.

Isabella Zornada A courageous woman who stood up to be counted……an inspiration~

Laura Balfour anyone else wanna guess that she is going to be even more special as a grown woman?

Cindy LeBoeuf Cunningham Wow!

Jo Moore Wow

Marrion Gould Such an amazing young woman !!!

3. Meghan says:

This morning I reposted this video on my FB page, but chose not to reference the talk show host. Malala's book and her wise message will fade away soon enough amidst professional attention grabbers like Miley Cyrus and promoters whose self serving messages take up more than their fair share of space in the public psyche. If more of us would draw attention to Malala's important story be it via popular celebs or FB posts, the would all be better of for it. Please don't shoot the messengers – We need all of them we can get!

4. Laura says:

I have watched this 5 times this morning. It's beautiful.

5. @BradHines says:

She's pretty amazing no? Immediately after watching the clip on Business Insider I was moved to write about her for HungryKids.org. She's like the embodiment of what we are all about–a righteous young woman for a better world not afraid to stand up for it even as a child. If you haven't heard yet, she won the European Parliament's Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought today, well deserved it would seem.

6. katybrandes says:

Malala is one of my heroines. What an incredible person! I only wish more young American women knew of her story. Perhaps they would pay more attention to important issues like this young woman is championing instead of obsessing on pop culture and the miley examples they have here.

7. @BradHines says:

Katy,

Ditto. So well said on brining up Miley. The person the world should know by first name only is Malala.

She does have a book out you can spread the word on. The link to it is in an article I have up here: http://hungrykids.org/girl-stood-education-shot-t

8. Padma Kadag says:

From the Swat Valley…the origin of the historical Padmasambhava…this young woman is beyond any adjectives I can come up with.

9. Sera says:

Wow. I'm shaken.

10. Kim says:

Just a correction: http://Www.malalafund.org not .com.
    Best

11. Andi says:

She is phenomenal. So is Jon.. his courage in media is remarkable. His HUMOUR is what makes him someone we relate to. Then his gift becomes when he brings the supremely obvious forward, always by taking himself lightly. His reaction to a human as beautiful and inspiring and young and fun and sweet was about the most perfect thing I have witnessed for an American audience to be able to absorb, appreciate, think, cry, be inspired…. and still have to talk about the Taliban.

So it is a combination of a most spectacular guest and what Jon was able to show so beautifully… her blissful, driven humanity and sweetness and what we all can cry over and only hope to be even remotely better at… being truly a better human… Jon could not have been a better catalyst for this.

It was ALL about her, every moment in that interview. Thanks again for sharing!!!