Saddest Photo from the Government Shutdown.

Via on Oct 11, 2013

Photo: Courtesy of SuperBonnie / Reddit

“I can accept anything, except what seems to be the easiest for most people: the half-way, the almost, the just-about, the in-between.”

~ Ayn Rand

We are all hearing such tales, of back and forth bickering—inundated with the details of government we never thought to know.

Faces of politicians are splashed under headlines of a most uncompromising view. Millions are without work, and wondering if an end shall ever be near.

But nothing seems to tell the tale better than the image of a small child standing sadly at the gates of the Washington D.C. Zoo, and wishing only for the opportunity to enter in.

A child knows nothing of these adult politics. In some ways, their vision is much clearer than our own.

Perhaps this is the message Congress most needs to hear.

Like elephant family on Facebook.

About Tara Lemieux

Tara Lemieux is a mindful wanderer, and faithful stargazer. Although she often appears to be listening with great care, rest assured she is most certainly forever lost in thought. She is an ardent explorer and lover of finding things previously undiscovered or at the very least mostly not-uncovered. When she’s not writing, you can find her walking in the woods and sometimes changing the way we look at things, one simple moment at a time. If after all of this, you still wish to seek Tara out, you can contact her at www.taralemieux.com, OR read her SUPER-AMAZING DAILY blog or, take one second to "LIKE" her on Facebook at Tara's Facebook Page. Or email her directly at tara@taralemieux.com. All roads will lead to one home, and rest assured she (and Nudnick, the wonder dog) would LOVE to hear from you.

8 Responses to “Saddest Photo from the Government Shutdown.”

1. elephantjournal says:

Shared! Though Ayn Rand would have loved this Shut Down, except it woulda cut the benefits she lived off of, hypocritically, as she hated on government.

2. Tara Lemieux says:

Yeah, I know ~ but the words are oddly very fitting…xo Tara

3. Caroline Sammet says:

Hmm, except that, in particular, zoos are pretty damn depressing and not such a terrible thing to be shut down. Maybe the food issue??? The poor families deprived of sustenance? That's sad. Not being unable to view some miserable animals in captivity, really, not so much. I think that two-year-old at the gate is not so impoverished for not seeing a half-insane/depressed orangutan.

• Tara Lemieux says:

Caroline – with all due respect, I am one of those families who is out of work due to this shutdown. I am unable to pay the bills that have stacked up, buy food for our table…truth be told, I had to sell my jewelry to scrape together the cash to buy new shoes for my so that he might have them for boot camp (the sole had fallen off of his). And getting the cash for the gas to get to my many doctors appointments – forget it. I never dreamed to ever be in this spot and we here in the Maryland/DC area are doing the very best we can to get through. If you’ll notice the sign is one posted for ALL the DC parks – including the Smithsonians, the monuments, and even the Veteran’s parks which have never once been closed. All of these sites are FREE to the public – and are something that we, the real impoverished families, look forward to – in order to lift the spirits in a very dire circumstances. So, with all due respect – and unless you are sitting, impacted in the middle of this…take a moment to consider that some of the voice posting these images are trying to draw a small amount of your light to this Godawful problem. And, for what it’s worth – I am a vegan, and an animal rights supporter. I have been since I was 12 years old…and way before it was cool. I did it because I could see the spirit in the eyes looking back at me. In those days, I prayed I would never be militant in my views that I wouldn’t be open to the views of others. I’m 44 now – and nothing has changed. Save now, I don’t have gas to get to my next doctors appt…and going to one of these many parks and zoos would be pretty nice. And for God’s sakes – it’s a CHILD being impacted. If you hopped off your horse you might see a different view. – Tara Lemieux (the author)

• Joan Jackson says:

Tara, I'm a public school teacher in Rick Scott's Florida. I just sent a friend, who lost her job through the shutdown, a small $50 token of support for her care and commitment for others. You should have more friends like me. Good luck!

4. GerryM says:

While i agree with the sentiment that children shouldn't suffer because of adult stupidity I wouldn't be disappointed if zoos closed and never reopened.

5. @haskins2 says:

This is one of the sweetest/saddest pictures… I am so sad for all the children who are impacted by the shut down. I'm worried for all of them. I'm worried for the kids who were waiting for treatment at NIH, the kids in Head Start programs, and I ache for their parents. Raising my own child in D.C., we appreciated (and needed) the zoo, as well as ALL the free museums and art galleries. This shut down sucks, and one picture is worth a thousand words. xox