I’ve only seen The Nutcracker twice because I’ve always been in it.
But the two times I did see it, I was proud to have been a part of it.
And I loved every second of it.
The Nutcracker was choreographed by Marius Petipa and features music from Pyotr IIyich Tchaikovsky. The Christmas tradition started in 1892, and it continues to be a holiday favorite for many.
You don’t have to know anything about ballet to enjoy the magic of it. You should go see it for the following reasons:
1) Many ballet companies and schools depend on the money from this production. They appreciate your applause and your financial contribution in the form of a ticket purchase.
2) You will see local talent and athleticism that you didn’t know existed in the place where you live. For some kids, this production is one of the biggest moments of their lives–even if they don’t grow up to become professional ballet dancers.
3) The Nutcracker is truly magical. The costumes, music, dancing, and effects will blow your mind.
4) The story of The Nutcracker is a mind trip (think LSD). You will be fascinated by the whimsicality and fairy-tale nature of the ballet’s events.
5) Guys, you will have a lovely excuse to take your wife/girlfriend on a date. She will love the time and effort you spent on taking her to the ballet. Ladies, you might have hard time getting your man to go with you to the ballet. I don’t want to stereotype, but The Nutcracker features gunshots, cannons, and mice fighting with soldiers. What could be more manly?
6) You’ll get to see cookies do cartwheels.
I encourage everyone to support the arts, support your community, and experience the magic of The Nutcracker. Happy Holidays!
Want 15 free additional reads weekly, just our best?
Editor: Rachel Nussbaum
Photo: elephant journal photo archives
hot on elephant
The story behind the Elephant-headed God. 456 shares September’s Black Moon: The Rare, Powerful, Feminine Goddess Lilith. 72,936 shares Will & Grace are Back after 10 years & it’s the Funniest 10 minutes of Election Commentary Ever. 17,790 shares October Energy Forecast: Prepare for Limitless, Unconditional Love. 7,868 shares The Fourth Kind of Love. 2,737 shares How Open-Hearted Men can Show Up for Strong, Independent Women. 3,686 shares What Teens need from their Parents. (Hint: It’s not Grounding & Punishment.) 2,065 shares I am Who I am Thanks to You—The 5 Most Important People we Meet in Life. 2,122 shares 10 Good Reasons Not to Contact your Ex. 933 shares Nine Reasons to Love a Libra & One Secret they Keep. 1,440 share