19 Reasons to Take a Facebook Break. ~ Carolyn Riker.

Via on Mar 17, 2014

social media

Honestly, I enjoy Facebook and more recently Instagram.

I read quotes, add comments, laugh, see pictures, make friends and share articles. I find inspiration, humor and joy.

I love people and making connections. But there are times when I feel completely sucked dry by the barrage of being online.

I feel every negative word and icky vibe out there. Some of the messages are downright evil, boasting and mean. When it gets to this stage, I’m fairly good at extricating myself and close up shop.

Although, there’s another issue. It is much more stealthy too.

It’s when I slip into a mind-numb-coffee-tea-sipping-social-media-coma.

It is equally as toxic and wastes so much of my precious time.

Therefore I am sharpening my internal barometer and came up with this list to help me find my balance to step away from the vortex.

I know it’s time to take a break from social media when:

1. My attention span is less than 13 words.

2. I get n-o-t-h-i-n-g done for hours.

3. I hum, “A circle is round; it has no end. That’s how long I want to be your friend.”

4. Time is lost and my butt is numb.

5. All thoughts end with hearts and other emoticons.

6. I feel an urge to share a quote from whatever I’m reading.

7. My sentences end with ‘stickers’ of foxes or cats blowing kisses.

8. Cute animal videos clog multiple open tabs on my computer.

9. Everything I read becomes inspirational and I want to share it all.

10. I post Yogi Tea messages (in my favorite cat mug). It becomes an evening ritual.

11. A chocolate wrapper (with a poem) is a perfect way to eat and post a quote.

12. I ignore my kids, meals and cat.

13. Dinner burns.

14. I have a verbal commentary with my computer. They put that on Facebook? Seriously? Major eye roll. Hand to forehead. Who am I to judge?

I just did. Sigh.

15. I-am-having-a-lousy-writer-human-day! Let’s feel worse and scan Facebook. Yay! (Not)

16. I post pictures of my cat and he gets more “likes” than all of my writing.

17. “Likes” and comments make me extra sensitive.

18. Coffee and tea mugs enhance my surroundings; meanwhile I grow dusty.

19. My mental well-being deteriorates from happy to sad just by what’s shared online.

It’s time to turn off the computer, step away and…

Go outside, if possible and garden. Take a walk. Clean a drawer. Do laundry. Write. Read. Listen to music. Play the piano. Paint my toenails. Dance with my cat.

I’m on a mission to challenge myself: I will reduce my online time especially when I start to numb out and when it’s no longer fun.

Anyone care to join me?

Love elephant and want to go steady?

Sign up for our (curated) daily and weekly newsletters!

Editor: Cat Beekmans

Photo:  Wikimedia Commons

About Carolyn Riker

Carolyn is an elementary teacher, a former mental health counselor, writer and a poet who finds comfort and balance in her kids, nature, music and her sweet cat Copper. She can be seen sipping soy lattes, nibbling on dark chocolate or savoring a full-bodied red wine. Introspective, forthright, kind and compassionate, she intertwines life with yoga, meditating and studying Vedic Astrology. She also writes for Journey of the Heart and Rebelle Society. Carolyn can be reached at Facebook.

15 Responses to “19 Reasons to Take a Facebook Break. ~ Carolyn Riker.”

1. I love this, Carolyn! Off I go, enough computer for one day. :)

• Carolyn Riker Carolyn Riker says:

Good for you Valerie! Thanks for the comment too. I'm off to a yoga class right now. I've got to keep my balance.

• Lana Angel says:

Great article – I’m in! The RLA (Real Life Avoidance) is out of control.

P.S. I wish my cats liked to dance, but they get all hissy about it.

2. Carolyn Riker Carolyn Riker says:

LOL, Thanks Lana for your comment and welcome to the club of less is more. BTW, my cat can get hissy too. He's unpredictable.

3. sugarfreewoman says:

I challenge everyone to take a stance and remove their accounts entirely. I worked in technology and social media prior to it even being called this and have refused to get on FB. It has caused depression, divorce, social comparisons that are detrimental, and on and on. In addition, why are we handing over information about ourselves like this only to have it sold back to us? Please, don't just reduce your time people, think about getting off. You will be much happier. I promise.

• Carolyn Riker Carolyn Riker says:

Thank you for your passionate response. Everyone is different and needs to do what is best for them. As a writer, I enjoy keeping in touch with people online. I have 'met' some incredibly talented people here in this world of social media. I do find it important though to take breaks. When I find myself mindlessly scanning the newsfeed — I know it's time to walk away. There's a lot of negativity out there too and I really don't want to be a part of it. Thanks again for your response. I respect your decisions!

4. Love it! I'm enjoying my third-annual Lenten fast from Facebook, and I'm not even a practicing Christian. I definitely recommend it, and with some frequency.

• Carolyn Riker Carolyn Riker says:

What a great idea! 'A Lenten fast from FB.' I simply carve out a weekend or a week here and there to unplug! I love your suggestion though. Thank you for sharing!

5. Konshu82 says:

About a month-and-a-half ago, for no ostensible reason, I just stopped getting on facebook. I didn’t deactivate, I just stopped. I guess my intuition felt like it was becoming a compulsion. I guess I was exhausted. Now, I actually have anxiety about the possibility of logging back in. I’m so weird.

• Carolyn Riker Carolyn Riker says:

I have to agree with you on the anxiety and exhaustion part of FB….that happens to me too. I have to make it a priority not to be online and when I am — I have a time allowance. It helps to keep me focused. Good luck with your decision to log back on or not….only you know what is best for you!

• Pavitra says:

It has been a month and half for me too and am still going strong! This break has indeed given me a reality check and has made me realise how I unconsciously end up comparing myself/my life with everything that is posted on facebook. It has certainly given me the platform to do some self reflection and understand how to maintain a balance between connecting with wonderful people versus staying true to who I am.

Love your post Carolyn!

6. Julia Morton says:

I quit Facebook as a New Years Resloution. Being an avid Facebooker I was really shocked at how easy it was for me to give up. I truly do not miss it for one moment.

• Carolyn Riker Carolyn Riker says:

It's so tempting to give up but at the moment I'm still here….just much less! Thank you for sharing Julia. I admire your decision.

7. Mae says:

I've decided to take a 3 month break. It's been a week and has been quite nice. But clearly I haven't been off of it long enough. How do I know this? Because my first thought after reading this is, "I should share this on FB!"

8. Lalana says:

Seeing this article is right on for me right now as well. Started noticing here and there just staying away more and more. I have never been one that posted every second of every minute of every day and doesn't look like that will be happening..in fact going the other route..lol. Glad to see not just me regarding this.