Via
on Oct 17, 2015
get elephant's newsletter

More, From the NY Times: “…Demi Lovato, the former Disney star-turned-troubled teenager-turned-body activist, who has been using Instagram pretty regularly to celebrate her love of her body. Ms. Lovato recently posted a picture of herself sprawled out over some sort of lounge in a playsuit and heels with the words, “Learn to lurrrrrvveee yerrrrr currrrrvveees,” adding, “I actually used to hate them.”

That photo:

~

eating disorder nudity lovato body issues curves

Demi Lovato Poses Nude, Makeup-Free for ‘Vanity Fair’ …

Just saw this video and her speech and it’s pretty genuine and sweet and powerful and sexy stuff. Even spiritual. I was pretty impressed by what she did. Genuinely didn’t feel like a stunt. And love the no-make-up no-retouching stipulations. ~ ed.

“I thought there was something incredible about the idea of no makeup whatsoever, no clothes and no retouching,” she said in a Vanity Fair video interview. “I would have never thought that I would have ever got to a place in my life where I would feel comfortable doing that. It’s empowering me and it shows other women that you can get to a place where you can overcome the obstacles of body image issues and you can feel comfortable and confident in your skin.” “I basically went from hating every single inch of my body to working on myself and trying to figure out ways to love myself and love the skin that I’m in,” she continued. “I learned after working very hard on my spirituality and my soul and my body, I learned that you can get to a place where you love the skin that you’re in and I’m excited to share that with the world.” “If there’s one thing I’ve learned in the past day, it’s that life is too short,” Ecclesine recalled Lovato telling him. “I’m about to launch an album that finally represents who I truly am. How do I embrace this new chapter in my life? How do I really walk the walk? What does it mean to be confident? It means letting go, being authentic, saying I don’t give a fuck and this is who I am. I want to show the side of me that’s real, that’s liberated, that’s free. What if we do a photo shoot where it’s totally raw? Super-sexy, but no makeup, no fancy lighting, no retouching, and no clothing. Let’s do it here, let’s do it now.”

~ Relephant bonus:

View post on imgur.com

Last night on SNL:

About Waylon Lewis

Comments

18 Responses to “No Clothes, No Make Up, No Retouching: Demi Lovato’s Spiritual, Spontaneous Photoshoot.”

1. Batch says:

How brave and refreshing! Hope this will inspire her young fans to be confident and self assured x

2. Arune says:

I am all about being comfortable in your own skin. And I’m not in any way hating on her, she is most definitely very beautiful. But why is it necessary to showcase yourself for all of the world to see? Show that to your most significant other, portray it in the way you act and walk – because confidence isn’t all about showing skin. And of course there is nothing wrong with the naked body – but when someone goes to claim how they worked on their spirituality and then posts pictures like this on a global level, you have to stop and wonder where the spirituality lies within that. It just seems like a little bit of a fish for attention and the more we give it the more these so called “celebs” will continue to do things like this.

3. Kelly Martin says:

It would have seemed more brave if she had not used low lighting, used the identical lighting used on photoshoots where normally she would be airbrushed. That would have showed more courage and revealed her more authentically.

4. Ashley says:

What’s so brave? There’s nothing at all wrong with her body.

5. Gypsy says:

This speaks to me on a different level than most, i presume. When I look at these photos, it’s this weird connection between two humans. I look at all these other pictures of her and feel that there is a mask, that there is a barrier between her and me, besides the fact that there is a screen and a hundred or so miles between us. But these images, these snapshots of her raw self speak to me, to us, as humans on a different level, a level of shared existence, I suppose. It’s so hard to articulate. It’s like it helps me, and hopefully others, to realize that this … this person, this human … exists. She has issues, she has a life, she has a family, she has a past and a future and time is going for her just as it is for you and me. And I think the removal of the photoshopping and the makeup and the retouching helps to solidify those feelings, even if we don’t know what they are. Because looking at something so raw, so open just lends a hand out to your mind to say … here I am. Do you see me? For me? Not as an image, but as a human? As your sister of sisters? It’s just more … authentic, I suppose.

6. Kris says:

She’s perfect! Not an ounce of fat on her… Not a speck of acne… Perfect body, perfect skin! Why Should/Would she be ashamed to post beautiful, artistic photos of herself??

7. Debra says:

This is manipulative advertising at its best!

8. Amit says:

cheap and foolish to the core
    i dont think such nude/naked photo shoot carries any message
    all women have breasts of different sizes and all have an ass
    what is “brave” unique about this ?

This is just cheap self marketing ploys which we should be aware.

9. Kuhrissaaa says:

Did anyone else notice how Dilated her eyes where in the video?