I am always on the lookout for simple changes that I can make to green up my home that will also help me save some green too.
The book “It’s Easy Being Green” by Crissy Trask has some great ideas, many of which, you can use right away. Some of my favorites are:
– Place a 1 quart bottle of water in your toilet tank to create an instant low flow toilet. You save one quart of water with every flush and hundreds of gallons a year.
– If you live in a cold climate, paint your house a dark color. Dark colors reflect as little as 3 percent of sunlight, thus absorbing more heat.
– If you live in a warm climate, paint your house a light color that will reflect up to 90 percent of sunlight and keep your house cooler.
Local design firm Caruso Kitchens offers these Ten Tips for Greening Your Kitchen
The goals of greening your kitchen should include natural lighting, good ventilation, low-toxicity finishes, energy and water efficient appliances, and surfaces that are durable, cleanable and of course, look good.
Innovations and design ideas for a green kitchen:
- Lots of operable windows for natural daylight and free ventilation – skylights are good, too
- A receptacle for compostable materials very near the work prep area
- Easy access to and sufficient room for recyclables storage in the kitchen
- A small, energy-efficient refrigerator-freezer (visit the Energy Star website for the most energy-efficient models)
- Hardwood floors, which are easier on your feet than stone or tile, have no grout to clean, and mop up easily with soap and water (consider Bamboo-one of the earth’s fastest growing plants that requires no replanting!)
- A place to grow herbs, like a garden window
- Storage designs that are sufficient and easy to use; storage space should be designed specifically for your storage needs
- A cold box, which keeps fruits and veggies fresh without requiring refrigeration
- Compact Flourescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) use up to 75% less energy, last 10 to 15 times longer and reduce waste and air pollution
- Formaldehyde-free cabinets; also, choose stains and finishes that do not offgas volatile organic compounds (VOCs) into your home
More ideas can also be found at my website too.
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 74 shares A Relationship will only be as Good as the Sex. 10,094 shares The Most Powerful Moon of the Year: New Moon & Solar Eclipse in Pisces. 28,038 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 12,404 shares How Women ruin Good Men. 3,480 shares If You have to “Think About It,” then I’m Not the One for You. 4,016 shares What Rumi had to Say about Unhappy Love. 225 shares Not sure I thought I’d ever say this, but Ashton Kutcher is about to inspire you to tears. 2,239 shares A Cure for our Single Status. 514 shares How we can go to Heaven without Dragging Others with Us. 109 shares