Want money? Word on the street is VC, Venture Capitol, has all but dried up. Well, not in Colorado—esp if your would-be company is ‘green.’ Excerpt:
AVA Solar, which manufactures thin-film photovoltaic modules, took in two infusions of venture capital totaling $145 million in 2008.
Range Fuels, which develops cellulosic ethanol-production technology, received $158 million in two deals.
Puls said the clean-technology industry “is receiving a lot of attention due to local and national campaign initiatives as well as the country’s increased focus on finding cleaner, more efficient ways to use energy.”
About 44 percent of Colorado’s VC dollars in 2008 went to clean-tech companies, Puls said.
Companies making medical devices and equipment garnered the second-largest VC chunk, 15 percent.
Other large VC deals in 2008 besides AVA Solar and Range Fuels:
• SomaLogic Inc. of Boulder, which develops proteomics systems and applications, received $35 million.
• Ice Energy Inc. of Windsor, which develops energy storage, advanced cooling and refrigeration products, received $33.2 million.
• Lanx Inc. of Broomfield, which specializes in systems and implants for spinal surgery, received $25 million.
• Pharmaca Integrative Pharmacy Inc. of Boulder, which sells prescriptions and natural remedies, received $22.1 million in two deals.
• Sierra Neuropharmaceuticals Inc. of Aurora, which makes pharmaceuticals for direct-to-the-brain treatment of neurological diseases, received $20.6 million in two deals.
• Accera Inc. of Broomfield, which develops therapeutic treatments for neurodegenerative diseases, received $20.3 million.
Here’s the rest of the article.
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 4,334 shares A Relationship will only be as Good as the Sex. 9,288 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 11,984 shares How Women ruin Good Men. 2,301 shares What Rumi had to Say about Unhappy Love. 210 shares The Most Powerful Moon of the Year: New Moon & Solar Eclipse in Pisces. 6,502 shares Not sure I thought I’d ever say this, but Ashton Kutcher is about to inspire you to tears. 1,851 share If You have to “Think About It,” then I’m Not the One for You. 2,760 shares How we can go to Heaven without Dragging Others with Us. 91 shares A Cure for our Single Status. 458 shares