Drinking bottled water is a huge waste of finite resources, a source of pollution and a waste of money. Yet, millions of us continue to buy bottled water. If you are buying bottled water because you are afraid of the quality in your tap, read on.
If you have a well, have your water tested at a laboratory every two years. If you receive city water, request a copy of your water utility’s annual water-quality report, or test it yourself. To understand the water analysis, contact NSF International, a non-profit organization that certifies water-purification systems. They will direct you to a system that fits your needs. Depending upon the results of the test, you may:
· Need to do nothing.
· Add a water purification system.
· Well owners: Install a UV light that kills bacteria and viruses as water passes through its beam. Add a sediment filter to remove sand, silt and other particulates. An additional carbon filter, if necessary, will remove chlorine and other chemicals.
· Filter out chlorine and other toxins, odors and bacteria from city water with a facet-mounted or under-the-counter model filtration system. There are also a variety of shower heads to filter out chlorine and other toxins, odors and bacteria.
· Run water from the tap several minutes in the morning (collect for plants and such) before using water for drinking and cooking.
· Use only cold water for cooking, as hot water dissolves more metals from home plumbing.
Resist buying bottled water unless absolutely necessary. Treating your own water will result in water quality as good—or better—than what you purchase. It is highly wasteful to the environment to purchase water, as petrochemicals are involved in the transportation and in the plastic bottles.
Excerpted from the award-winning Harmonious Environment: Beautify, Detoxify & Energize Your Life, Your Home & Your Planet, by Norma Lehmeier Hartie.
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 2,287 shares A Relationship will only be as Good as the Sex. 9,780 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 12,404 shares The Most Powerful Moon of the Year: New Moon & Solar Eclipse in Pisces. 21,472 shares How Women ruin Good Men. 3,118 shares What Rumi had to Say about Unhappy Love. 222 shares If You have to “Think About It,” then I’m Not the One for You. 3,808 shares Not sure I thought I’d ever say this, but Ashton Kutcher is about to inspire you to tears. 2,137 shares A Cure for our Single Status. 514 shares How we can go to Heaven without Dragging Others with Us. 91 shares