Here’s a challenge for you. Can you summarize your spiritual beliefs in 5-6 sentences?
When I first got involved in Yoga I became so intrigued with this question that I spent the next several years trying to answer it. Eventually my answers turned into my blog and eBook.
I went through a lot of twists and turns on my inner journey. Eventually I concluded that Yoga philosophy is sublimely simple, profound, and livable. Yet it can be difficult to grasp because of its unfamiliar language and complex history.
I became intrigued with whether it was possible to capture the essence of Yoga philosophy in plain English, without any specialized terminology or assumed prerequisite background knowledge. (Not that I have anything against these. I’m no scholar, but I have become pretty well-versed in the language and lore of the big three ancient texts of Yoga–the Upanishads, the Bhagavad Gita, and the Yoga Sutra.)
Here’s what I came up with:
1) Each of us is already infinitely wondrous—miraculous, awe-inspiring, unfathomable. (This is well hidden beneath the distractions and emotions of everyday life.)
2) Our wondrous nature is the same as the infinite wonder of the universe.
3) The way to experience our wondrous self is to fully experience the present moment, since each moment of consciousness is infinitely wondrous in itself.
4) The mind, body, and spirit are inseparable.
5) Experiencing our wondrous self leads to an abundance of joy and goodness.
6) The techniques of Yoga, leading to “pure awareness”, are one method for discovering our true wondrous nature.
I challenge you to do the same for your spiritual beliefs and share it with us in a comment below.
Bob Weisenberg http://YogaDemystified.com
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 120 shares The Most Powerful Moon of the Year: New Moon & Solar Eclipse in Pisces. 52,330 shares A Relationship will only be as Good as the Sex. 10,580 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 13,126 shares How Women ruin Good Men. 4,171 shares If You have to “Think About It,” then I’m Not the One for You. 5,018 shares If You Love an Intuitive, Old-Soul Pisces, Read This. 4,431 shares What Rumi had to Say about Unhappy Love. 249 shares Not sure I thought I’d ever say this, but Ashton Kutcher is about to inspire you to tears. 2,300 shares February’s New Moon in Pisces & Solar Eclipse. 1,959 share