Top 10 Yoga Tweeters on Twitter – Updated.

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 1.2
Shares 1.0
Hearts 0.0
Comments 10
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
0 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
392

Photo above via brilliant apt Lululemon ad

Best Yoga Twitter UPDATED February 15 by Waylon Lewis.

I’ve now been on Twitter for five fifteen months. It took me the first few months—until I started using Tweetdeck (advice and link here)—to get Twitter. Up to then, I figured it was yet another speedy-world distraction.

Now, it’s now an integral part of my business. With more than 13,000 followers and an incessant stream of mindful drivel, @elephantjournal‘s been named to 15 19 top national lists, won the national twitter Shorty Award in #Green (sorry, @algore) for 2009, and twitter has enabled us make countless immediate connections.

Ironically, this most virtual of mediums has given me a daily sense of community, good friends, and perhaps mostly invaluably, dialogue with those I disagree with.

For those not yet bitten by the bird, Twitter’s a great, free way of networking, sharing, learning about cool things…great for individuals, great for small businesses, great for community and finding out about local specials and such. But it’s all about consistency—a quality many of our original faves have lacked over the long haul.

I can personally recommend that you follow the yoga twits below. And if you would like to be followed, just add your Twitter id (@blanketyblank) in the Comments section in the bottom.

0. yours truly, @elephantjournal, focuses on “the mindful life” generally. So while we’re not really a top yoga yoga yoga tweeter, we do offer some good fun interesting interviews, articles…most recently an interview at our Walk the Talk Show with John Friend of Anusara, an article about Yoga for Basketball, and a review of a yoga DVD for plus size yogis and yoginis.

Okay, on your mats, get set, breathe…

1. @yogadork is fun, personal, serious, and she knows and cares about yoga and community.

2. @anusarafriend is John Friend himself! His tweets are rare but not too rare, and they’re always full of wisdom and poetry.

3. I like @yoga_journal, though they don’t tweet half as much as they used to, so we’re going with @yoga_mydrishti.

4. @davekennedy he’s a great mensch, a dedicated yogi behind prAna, big innovator, supporter of elephant, friend. While I haven’t seen him tweeting quite so much as I used to, he’s a mover-shaker-director of traffic unparallelled.

5. the charming, energetic, fun, self-proclaimed yoga crone @corayoga, who tipped us off to Elvis Yoga, and now writes for elephant.

6. @bobweisenberg is amazing, everywhere, commenting, sparking dialogue, he’s patient yet firm, sharp, with a depth of understanding and kindness that makes my every day better.

7. @kathrynbudig isn’t hyperactive on twitter, but maybe that’s a good thing. She’s got consistent presence and her tweets are to the point, fun, interesting. An emerging yoga star, she’s a charming, sincere columnist for elephant whose posts consistently get crazy traffic. Everyone loves her.

8. @tarastiles is everywhere, and has been a longtime twitcolleague of @elephantjournal. Her tweets range from profound quotes to fun and interesting info about what’s up in her fabulous mover-shaker yoga world. She’s an inspiration.

9. @DeepakChopra, who though not yoga-focused is HUUUUGE (he has more followers than I have brain cells) and incredibly active and supportive on twitter. He’s constantly tweeting, replying if you tweet him, arguing, supporting…his moment to moment information stream is nearly unparalleled in twitterland.

10. Who else? Suggest your fave (or yourself!) in comments below.

Spinal Tap Honorary Number 11: @gaiam, though I’m not seeing them tweeting quite so much these days they are consistent, have a wealth of content, and are supportive RTers.

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 1.2
Shares 1.0
Hearts 0.0
Comments 10
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
0 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
392

You must be logged in to post a comment. Create an account.

anonymous Jan 4, 2011 9:38pm

Awesome list! I just spent some time to follow some of who these movers and shakers follow. It brings so much value to my twitter experience, connecting with like-minded people around the globe. Every day I am amazed just how much fantastic information is out there, and I would never have found it otherwise. Thank you Elephant Journal, and thank you to the winners (albeit a while ago now!) Sending positive vibes your way. Best wishes from San Francisco @TheZenGirl 🙂

anonymous Jan 4, 2011 8:42pm

I agree – twitter is a great place to connect with community interested in yoga and heath! Please follow me @adarshkkhalsa!

anonymous Oct 20, 2010 10:16pm

oh, please. like it's a competition?

anonymous Oct 19, 2010 4:23pm

by the way, i'm all about finding affordable yoga in LA — while some people can easily afford $22 drop-in classes, go on retreats to exotic locales, or maybe even hire celeb yogis to give them private lessons at home, the majority of us can barely make ends meet and need all the financial assistance we can get, whether it be free yoga, donation yoga, or work-trade yoga. and when we do plunk down our hard-earned cash, it makes us feel good when it goes to a worthy charity or to an up-and-coming yoga teacher who needs our love and encouragement!

so if that's you, follow me, the accidental yogist, at @ayogist 🙂

Bob Weisenberg Oct 19, 2010 4:51pm

Got you in my Google Reader. Keep up the good work.

Bob W.

anonymous Mar 29, 2010 2:02am

[…] are honored to have two of prAna’s family members in the Elephant Journal top 10 list of yoga Twitterati @davekennedy and Anusara’s founder, John Friend […]

anonymous Feb 24, 2010 8:33pm

@SatSiriLiving

anonymous Feb 19, 2010 11:41pm

Ashtanga Yoga Victoria – for all updates on Ashtanga Yoga Practice in Victoria BC Canada! @AYVic

anonymous Feb 18, 2010 4:40pm

500 yogis here: http://twitter.com/FluidityYoga/yogadorks/members and the MAX for any list is 500, so my 2nd yogadork list began: http://twitter.com/FluidityYoga/yogadorks-2 Have fun and I look fwd to tweeting with you if I'm not already! Namasté – Mitzi at http://twitter.com/FluidityYoga

anonymous Feb 18, 2010 6:13am

Most of my favs are listed above and would like to add these: @IntegralHack @veganyogini @rogue_yogi and of course me! @holisticyogini

anonymous Feb 18, 2010 1:28am

I'm a new twit (or a 52 year old twit, depending on whether you talk to my brother) @namastehon in Bawlmer Merlin (that's Baltimore Maryland for non-natives)

anonymous Feb 18, 2010 1:27am

hey hey how about us @MandukaYoga !

anonymous Feb 17, 2010 9:16pm

Hey what about @yogaheals?? Love her tweets, her twitter vibe, and compassionate soul!

anonymous Feb 18, 2010 4:09pm

Love @yogaheals. one of my faves. 🙂

anonymous Feb 17, 2010 8:59pm

@RainbeauMars is one of my faves.

anonymous Feb 17, 2010 7:52pm

Thanks for making me a top 10er Elephant Fans! It's been a wonderful #cybersangha to make connections with worldwide yogis and spread wisdom, pictures and loads of humour! Love to ALL of you!
love @corayoga http://www.corawen.com

anonymous Feb 17, 2010 5:57pm

Here's our list, if you're looking for some great yoga tweeps who are fun and provide lots of value through their tweets: http://twitter.com/Gaiam/yoga/members

elephant journal Feb 17, 2010 7:51pm

Thanks, Gaiam, you guys were pioneers in rocking social media in the LOHAS space, keep it up!

anonymous Feb 17, 2010 5:30pm

Yes, so many more … @IntegralYogaMag @thebodyyoga @DonnaKFreeman (hi!) … thanks Nancy for the tip – I just joined the yogadork twibe! Love, @lindsayyoga

anonymous Feb 17, 2010 5:17pm

love this thread! am @curvyyogini on twitter, if you want to follow. have to add @fluidityyoga to the list. and @yogamydrishti is a personal fave 🙂

anonymous Feb 18, 2010 3:52pm

Thank you, sunshine! xoxox @FluidityYoga

anonymous Feb 17, 2010 4:39pm

Don't forget @yogahopesue for Yoga Trauma and project in Haiti. And me, for scholarly work on yoga @AMYCHAMP.

anonymous Feb 17, 2010 4:38pm

excellent list! @5seed

anonymous Feb 17, 2010 1:23pm

A few of my favs who haven't already been mentioned from the +300 people on the @DonnaKFreeman/yoga list include @yogamint @shantignr8tion @SwSachidananda – great list Waylon, keep it coming! So many like minded people out there that Twitter has helped to connect.

anonymous Feb 17, 2010 1:11pm

there are so many amazing yogis/yoginis in the cyber sangha that I am in awe to be included! thanks so much Waylon for the vote of confidence in my 140 characters!! For everyone else I have way too many favorites to include (and don't want to forget a soul) so check out the list at http://www.twibes.com/group/yogadorks where you'll find every style and personality represented. my cyber sangha rules!!! thanks for the honor

anonymous Feb 18, 2010 12:22am

right on nancy… it's such an amazing group and we're all an integral part of the flow of ideas and great conversation, in 140 characters or less 😉 huzzah cyber sangha!

anonymous Feb 17, 2010 8:18am

All of the above and my favourite yoga angels @IntegralYogaMag, @Virtual_Yoga, @YIDL

elephant journal Feb 17, 2010 7:50pm

I should have included Integral Yoga…they're great but maybe not quite active enough for top ten. But they're great.

anonymous Feb 17, 2010 6:20am

I like @kimshealthtips @judithyoga, @darrenjmain, @tranquilista and of course myself @mysticflavor

anonymous Feb 17, 2010 5:23am

I love how you combine the spirituality of yoga, along with technology and the ever-so-powerful Twitterverse. Congrats on the growth and large following, you're definitely trusted and respected. Great list you've provided here!

elephant journal Feb 17, 2010 7:49pm

Thanks, schweetey, coming from you means a lot.

anonymous Feb 17, 2010 4:35am

We are shifting the world, one twit at a time!! @beejgalvan

anonymous Feb 17, 2010 3:51am

Thanks for the list and the inspiration, Waylon…er, @elephantjournal. Here @GreenLotusYoga we're just over two years into our journey as an integrated yoga and healing center, and just a few days into our exploration of Twitter. All twips, and followers, welcome. And if you're ever in the Twin Cities, please stop by. First class is always free. In town for a while? First week is free! Namaste.

elephant journal Feb 17, 2010 7:51pm

Nice, I'll stop by when I'm there! I'm in love with a cafe there called Cafeto, in Minneapolis.

anonymous Feb 17, 2010 3:09am

fantastic list! follow @sweatydarla a texas yoga teacher of the hot styles. she rarely tweets- so no reason to feel guilty when you are too busy to "read your feed". 😉

anonymous Jan 4, 2011 7:48pm

You are a great one to follow too. Always honest and super sweaty!

anonymous Feb 17, 2010 2:54am

and lets not forget @evvashtangi @sarahkohl and of course myself @ashdyogi

anonymous Feb 17, 2010 3:20am

Yea…what she said. :)))

anonymous Feb 17, 2010 5:22am

hear hear! and miss mitzi 🙂

elephant journal Feb 17, 2010 7:52pm

Yogadork, reveal thyself!

anonymous Feb 18, 2010 4:14pm

Awww – YD – I heart you!
          and Evv
          and Sarahasana
          and AshD

anonymous Feb 17, 2010 2:29am

hey wait… i still tweet the LA yoga scene, but i have to say that food trucks are more fun 🙂

anonymous Feb 17, 2010 2:03am

I like Baron Baptiste on twitter.

elephant journal Feb 17, 2010 7:52pm

I like him off twitter, too.

anonymous Feb 17, 2010 1:44am

Well, I think @lkaminoff is pretty cool, but I'm highly prejudiced.

anonymous Feb 18, 2010 2:34am

Hey! I already nominated that guy! So, not a *totally* prejudiced suggestion. =)

anonymous Feb 17, 2010 1:41am

I would say @ayogist but she has switched mostly to food trucks lately. haha

anonymous Feb 17, 2010 1:04am

Great list! You know, I used to consider Twitter to be a distraction but I am now soooo immensely grateful for the inspiring yogis/inis I have connected with through tweeting – some that made your list and many who didn't (yet!). Such a supportive, beautiful group! My yoga list on Twitter (@lindsayyoga/yoga) is 200 people strong but here are a few nominations @whollyyoga @innerspaceyoga @lululemon thanks for the smiles!

anonymous Jan 4, 2011 7:24pm

Thanks for the props, Lindsay! You rock. And… I nominate you! xoxo

anonymous Feb 18, 2010 4:15pm

Yes, Leslie, you are cooler than cool. 🙂

Read The Best Articles of March
You voted with your hearts, comments, views, and shares.
CLICK TO SEE WHO WON

elephant journal

Elephant Journal is a independent, mission-driven communiuty. Dedicated to “bringing together those working (and playing) to create enlightened society, we’re about anything that helps us to live a good life that’s also good for others, and our planet.

Founded as a print magazine in 2002, we went national in 2005 and then (because mainstream magazine distribution is wildly inefficient from an eco-responsible point of view) transitioned online in 2009. >>>

Elephant’s been named to 30 top new media lists, and was voted #1 in the US on twitter’s Shorty Awards for #green content…twice. >>>

Get involved:
> Get our curated online magazine, free e-newsletter.
> Follow us on Twitter Fan us on Facebook.
> Write: send article or query.
> Advertise.