Top 10 Yoga Websites.

Via Victoria Klein
on Sep 13, 2010
get elephant's newsletter

Get Your Om On, Online.

Yoga is everywhere – and I do mean everywhere – these days. But with popularity comes falsehoods, especially on the internet. Where do you go when you want good, honest information about yoga? Why, these top 10 yoga websites!

10. GreenYogaThe online home of the Green Yoga Association, a northern California-based organization keen on promoting eco-friendly living and action through all aspects of yoga. They’re most well-known for their programs helping yoga studios and events operate more sustainably, along with green getaways and helpful newsletters.

9. YoganomicsNew in the online yoga scene, this website was started by former Yoga Journal employee Brian Castellani. Initially inspired by the focus on yoga regulations and licensing, “Yoganomics’ mission statement is to be the blueprint of yoga development as an intuitive and collaborative ‘self help’ resource guide for any yoga teacher, yoga business, or community of yoga.” So far, he’s accomplishing this goal through an online marketplace, blog articles, videos, and a growing social community.

8. Yoganonymous: Another newer website, Yoganonymous features teacher profiles, spotlighted studios, upcoming events, giveaways, free mix-tape-style music collections, and intelligent articles (including those by some Elephant Journal writers!).

7. YogaTodayOne of the first (and still one of the best) online yoga class websites, Yoga Today’s classes are filmed in beautiful studios and gorgeous Southwest outdoor locations. With qualified instructors, three membership options (yes, free is an option) and over 200 classes to choose from, Yoga Today is one of the biggest online collections of full-length yoga classes.

6. MindBodyGreenStarted as a user-submitted eco-news site, MindBodyGreen has grown into a professionally-written, regularly-updated wellness website. Of course, being a wellness site, they have a whole section decided to yoga (and Pilates), featuring news, pose instructions, and interviews with celebrities and yoga professionals.

5. Life.GaiamPart of the conscious-lifestyle shop Gaiam, the Life.Gaiam.com website is all about – you guessed it – living a better life through health-based, spiritual, and sustainable practices. One of my favorite features is their Yoga Answers and Solutions Go-To Guide, a great introduction to the many articles, videos, and DVDs the site has to offer on the subject of yoga.

4. WholeLivingMs. Martha Stewart maintains a regular yoga practice, so it comes as no surprise that her healthy living magazine, Whole Living (previously Body+Soul), features over 100 pages about yoga, including pranayama (breathing) and strength-training focused practices.

3. YogaDorkIn its 3rd year, Yoga Dork is a great, often-updated blog about the latest in yoga news, including Hollywood and yoga celebrities, books, DVDs, medical studies, and more. The folks that comment aren’t afraid to be opinionated, so interesting conversations ensue regularly.

2. ElephantJournalYou can’t have a list of best yoga websites & not include Elephant Journal. Full of articles about all aspects of the yoga lifestyle (many of which are written by actual yoga teachers), EJ is also a central hub for the ongoing controversy over nudity in yoga ads.

1. YogaJournalYeah, I know I’m going to get some hate (e)mail for putting Yoga Journal Magazine’s website at number one, but the truth is the truth: YJ’s site has the biggest collection of articles about yoga, including numerous home practices and detailed pose instructions. If you want a great yoga website, you need to include not only the lifestyle of yoga, but also the detailed complexity of the practice itself – after all, the practice of yoga is the one thing all us yogis have in common.

Note: This post is part of my 27 Things to Know About Yoga Blog Book Tour! A big thank you to Waylon & all the folks at Elephant Journal for being a part of my online adventure in book promotion.

About Victoria Klein

Introduced to Yoga in 2000 at a gym in Connecticut, my personal practice has taken me through a crippling post-high-school era of depression and anxiety, 3 cross-country relocations, + the general rollercoaster of life. In 2012, I fulfilled a major item on my bucket list by graduating from the True Nature School of Yoga 200-Hour program in Oceanside, CA + eagerly began teaching as an RYT 200. In 2013, I've continued my dedication to education by taking True Nature's 500-Hour program, progressing toward the RYT 500 designation. Also a professional freelance writer since 2005, my first book, 27 Things to Know about Yoga, was published in 2010. I previously worked the front desk at the well-known Yoga Tree studios in San Francisco + in the production department at Yoga Journal Magazine. In my spare time, you’ll find me cooking, running, taking lots of pictures, being a Marine Corps spouse, and infusing Yoga into my entire life. My Yoga classes are a dynamic blend of effort + ease, sweating + relaxation, with numerous opportunities + options given to make each individual class easier or harder, depending on how you feel that day. As a teacher, I strive to help my students find clarity, compassion, + patience, both on + off the mat. FYI: you should join my newsletter so you don't miss any of the fun! You can also connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, + Pinterest!

Comments

85 Responses to “Top 10 Yoga Websites.”

1. […] Welcome to Week 3! It’s Day 11 & the tour is visiting Waylon at Elephant Journal with a guest post he personally requested I write for him: Top 10 Yoga Websites. […]

2. A big thanks to Waylon, Lindsey, & everyone at Elephant Journal for being a part of my Blog Book Tour! 😀

3. marianne says:

These are excellent, and thank you for featuring a few that are new to me! Let me add the relatively newly launched YogoGlo for streaming, on-demand, classes from some of the best teachers in the country! All for a reasonable monthly membership fee. I don't use it nearly as often as I should, and sometimes I just observe instead of practice, but I am always impressed. http://www.yogaglo.com

4. Andrew says:

I would think yogaglo would be on that list. It is probably the most impressive site in terms of "why didn't I think of that?"

5. I'm glad you enjoyed the article, Marianne 🙂 YogaGlo.com is a great website! It would be a great addition to a longer list of top yoga websites.

6. You're right, Andrew – YogaGlo is a pretty great site (see the above comment).

7. ??? I'm not quite sure what you are referring to, Tricia.

8. Tricia ptak says:

Feedback on mine would be appreciated.

Metta

9. YogiOne says:

I think I might rank Yoga International just a tweek higher than Martha Stewart. #4? Really? Very nice list tough. I like all of them and realized there are some I need to add to my blog list.

10. That's the great think about top 10 lists – everyone's version would be different. The Yoga International (now Yoga + @ http://www.himalayaninstitute.org/Yogaplus/) website was also mentioned on Facebook. I haven't had the pleasure of reading the magazine much, but I won't be able to resist much longer. 🙂

11. Vanita says:

Agreed re: Yoga International. I also would rate Yogaglo higher than Yoga Today. I know it's not free, but it has classes with Kathryn Budig and Elena Brower!!

12. All the more reason for me to try YogaGlo personally 😀

13. YogaDawg says:

YorkDork is great! Here is a few other that I consider essential yoga blog reading:

It's All Yoga Baby http://itsallyogababy.com/

Linda's Yoga Journey http://lindasyoga.blogspot.com/

Think Body Electric http://thinkbodyelectric.blogspot.com/

YogaSpy http://yogaspy.wordpress.com/

14. Thanks for the recommendations, YogaDawg! I do real It's All Yoga Baby already, but the other 3 are new to me 😀

15. YogaDawg says:

Are are most welcome Victoria. Do you have a blog or on Facebook? Best.

16. Hi, YogaDawg.

I was going to suggest all those, plus Brooks Hall's ever-inspiring Yoga Muse.

Thanks for the list, Victoria.

Bob W.

17. Thanks for another great recommendation, Bob – keep'em coming!

18. YogaDawg says:

Brooks is a profoundly reflective blogger. It's always an honor to read her posts. Glad you mentioned her.

19. girlwarrior says:

Thanks for the mention, YogaDawg! And thanks for reading, Victoria! Great list here, thanks for the wonderful resources.

20. You're welcome! 😀 Always happy to help others.

21. Melisse says:

Of course, I'm partial to http://www.WellandGoodNYC.com ! We do a pretty great job of covering breaking news on the enormous NYC yoga scene, from the new Kula Yoga Project in Williamsburg and Jivamukti teachers posing nude for PETA and which teachers, classes, and studios are standouts. Melisse, co-founder of Well+Good

22. Sounds like an interesting site, Betty – I'll check it out 🙂

23. Very nice, Melisse – always good to see passionate bloggers involved in their local yoga community. 🙂

24. Nancy says:

totally agree and ditto w/ http://www.yogavibes.com both are fantastic sources of info

25. Nancy says:

definitely important to include Roseanne at itsallyogababy she's the bomb!

26. Derik Mills says:

Just want to say thanks to all for sharing the YogaGlo love!

Also check out http://spoiledyogi.blogspot.com/ and http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/yoga

Derik Mills
    YogaGlo Founder

27. Congrats, Derik – your site really does have some avid fans! 🙂 Erica's blog Spoiled Yogi was stop #1 on my Blog Book Tour (she rocks!)

28. Erica says:

I think you BOTH rock! I'm going to take a YogaGlo break right now!

29. claudia says:

Thank you Victoria, great list, I also like http://grimmly2007.blogspot.com/ for the wealth of resources from the point of view of a very dedicated practitioner and http://leapinglanka.blogspot.com/ for interesting thoughts on Ashtanga. When I tire of yoga I also like the cartoons in this one http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/09/tro

30. […] Bhaktifest 2010 This past weekend I spent 72 hours in Joshua Tree, California at the incredible yoga and kirtan explosion that is Bhaktifest. Over 4,000 people gathered in the desert to sing kirtan […]

31. YogaDawg says:

And because I forget, three more great yoga websites that I keep checking into to get the feel of what working yoga looks like:

Grounding Thru the Sit Bones – http://groundingthruthesitbones.blogspot.com/

Nikki Chau – http://www.nikkichau.com/

Svasti: A Journey From Assult to Wholeness – http://svasti.wordpress.com/

32. yogadork says:

thanks YogaDawg! great rec's as well 🙂

33. yogadork says:

Thanks Victoria for the inclusion of YogaDork and the awesome write-up!

34. Kallimamma says:

Agree – My Yoga Online is an amazing site. One the top of my list.

35. Thanks for the recommendations, Claudia 🙂

36. That's the spirit! It's always great to see folks passionate about their favorite sites. 🙂

37. Another great collection of sites from the uber-cool YogaDawg 🙂 Thanks!

38. You're welcome 🙂 Been a long-time fan of YogaDork & it just keeps getting better.

39. That's another vote for My Yoga Online 😉

40. Thanks, indrasingh! Any list is a great change to start a conversation, so I'm glad that you added your link into the mix. 🙂

41. Brenda P. says:

Thanks YD, 'preciate it!

42. Guy Leisure says:

OMFG who cares about yoga websites. Shame on you all for pretending that this is anything but a death knell for yoga.
    Do not go to websites for any information about yoga. Go to a teacher and then practice to see for yourself. If you spent 1/10th the time practicing as you do reading self referential blogs as you do practicing there would be no doubt in your mind about how to practice. Get off the carnival ride it is on fire from the flames of ego and self promotion.

43. I need a new yoga mat, any suggestions?