Top 10 Yoga Websites.

Via Victoria Klein
on Sep 13, 2010
get elephant's newsletter

Get Your Om On, Online.

Yoga is everywhere – and I do mean everywhere – these days. But with popularity comes falsehoods, especially on the internet. Where do you go when you want good, honest information about yoga? Why, these top 10 yoga websites!

10. GreenYogaThe online home of the Green Yoga Association, a northern California-based organization keen on promoting eco-friendly living and action through all aspects of yoga. They’re most well-known for their programs helping yoga studios and events operate more sustainably, along with green getaways and helpful newsletters.

9. YoganomicsNew in the online yoga scene, this website was started by former Yoga Journal employee Brian Castellani. Initially inspired by the focus on yoga regulations and licensing, “Yoganomics’ mission statement is to be the blueprint of yoga development as an intuitive and collaborative ‘self help’ resource guide for any yoga teacher, yoga business, or community of yoga.” So far, he’s accomplishing this goal through an online marketplace, blog articles, videos, and a growing social community.

8. Yoganonymous: Another newer website, Yoganonymous features teacher profiles, spotlighted studios, upcoming events, giveaways, free mix-tape-style music collections, and intelligent articles (including those by some Elephant Journal writers!).

7. YogaTodayOne of the first (and still one of the best) online yoga class websites, Yoga Today’s classes are filmed in beautiful studios and gorgeous Southwest outdoor locations. With qualified instructors, three membership options (yes, free is an option) and over 200 classes to choose from, Yoga Today is one of the biggest online collections of full-length yoga classes.

6. MindBodyGreenStarted as a user-submitted eco-news site, MindBodyGreen has grown into a professionally-written, regularly-updated wellness website. Of course, being a wellness site, they have a whole section decided to yoga (and Pilates), featuring news, pose instructions, and interviews with celebrities and yoga professionals.

5. Life.GaiamPart of the conscious-lifestyle shop Gaiam, the Life.Gaiam.com website is all about – you guessed it – living a better life through health-based, spiritual, and sustainable practices. One of my favorite features is their Yoga Answers and Solutions Go-To Guide, a great introduction to the many articles, videos, and DVDs the site has to offer on the subject of yoga.

4. WholeLivingMs. Martha Stewart maintains a regular yoga practice, so it comes as no surprise that her healthy living magazine, Whole Living (previously Body+Soul), features over 100 pages about yoga, including pranayama (breathing) and strength-training focused practices.

3. YogaDorkIn its 3rd year, Yoga Dork is a great, often-updated blog about the latest in yoga news, including Hollywood and yoga celebrities, books, DVDs, medical studies, and more. The folks that comment aren’t afraid to be opinionated, so interesting conversations ensue regularly.

2. ElephantJournalYou can’t have a list of best yoga websites & not include Elephant Journal. Full of articles about all aspects of the yoga lifestyle (many of which are written by actual yoga teachers), EJ is also a central hub for the ongoing controversy over nudity in yoga ads.

1. YogaJournalYeah, I know I’m going to get some hate (e)mail for putting Yoga Journal Magazine’s website at number one, but the truth is the truth: YJ’s site has the biggest collection of articles about yoga, including numerous home practices and detailed pose instructions. If you want a great yoga website, you need to include not only the lifestyle of yoga, but also the detailed complexity of the practice itself – after all, the practice of yoga is the one thing all us yogis have in common.

Note: This post is part of my 27 Things to Know About Yoga Blog Book Tour! A big thank you to Waylon & all the folks at Elephant Journal for being a part of my online adventure in book promotion.

About Victoria Klein

Introduced to Yoga in 2000 at a gym in Connecticut, my personal practice has taken me through a crippling post-high-school era of depression and anxiety, 3 cross-country relocations, + the general rollercoaster of life. In 2012, I fulfilled a major item on my bucket list by graduating from the True Nature School of Yoga 200-Hour program in Oceanside, CA + eagerly began teaching as an RYT 200. In 2013, I've continued my dedication to education by taking True Nature's 500-Hour program, progressing toward the RYT 500 designation. Also a professional freelance writer since 2005, my first book, 27 Things to Know about Yoga, was published in 2010. I previously worked the front desk at the well-known Yoga Tree studios in San Francisco + in the production department at Yoga Journal Magazine. In my spare time, you’ll find me cooking, running, taking lots of pictures, being a Marine Corps spouse, and infusing Yoga into my entire life. My Yoga classes are a dynamic blend of effort + ease, sweating + relaxation, with numerous opportunities + options given to make each individual class easier or harder, depending on how you feel that day. As a teacher, I strive to help my students find clarity, compassion, + patience, both on + off the mat. FYI: you should join my newsletter so you don't miss any of the fun! You can also connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, + Pinterest!

Comments

85 Responses to “Top 10 Yoga Websites.”

1. Rolande Vos says:

Hi, I'm a Yoga Mat fanatic. What's your favorite brand of yoga mats?

2. castellani says:

Victoria,

Thank you for mentioning Yoganomics. I am always working to keep it moving and to keep it specific. It really means a lot.

– Brian

3. sex chat says:

Flora &kjdfhjdfkj has compiled a "Red List" of endangered fruit and nut species in the skjdfs. Critically endangered species include pears, hawthorns, currants, and barberries. Some of these things are down to a single tiny population.

4. Fun post. Good to see the variety of content and blogs within the yoga niche.

5. Thanks for your comment, Jennifer! Picking just 10 great yoga sites on the web is a major challenge – very happy to have additional suggestions 🙂

6. Thanks for the heads up, Sean. I hadn't heard of this site yet – I'll be sure to check it out! 🙂

7. You're very welcome, Brian – keep the great content coming! 🙂

8. Thanks for your comment & I'm delighted that you enjoyed the post 🙂 Choosing just 10 sites was tough, but there has been some great conversation here in the comments!

9. 2 very good additions 🙂

10. Jonathan says:

My favorite is DoYogaWithMe.com, because of its comprehensive approach. They have a wide variety of yoga class videos, along with great video tutorials on how to do poses, yoga anatomy and breathing techniques. Great audio meditations too, that you can download. And it's all free!

11. Earl Schaub says:

I enjoyed reading the list and it's very helpful. I would love to see Yoga Tune Up on the list because I've personally enjoyed their online yoga videos, perhaps you can extend the list to maybe top 50 🙂

12. […] Top 10 Yoga Websites: An article by Elephant Journal […]

13. Collen Scandalis says:

It’s in the Multiple D PLAYBOOK Under Nickle (1-5-5)

14. seo says:

I used to be recommended this website via my cousin. I am now not sure whether this submit is written by means of him as nobody else recognise such exact about my problem. You are incredible! Thanks!

15. Great article . there are so many businesses that hire a web designer/developer .but first its complesary to know everything about them and then hire ,this article give knowledge that..

16. […] YogaTips for Efficient Yoga Website DesignYoga website design and development, LondonYoga Web DesignTop 10 Yoga Websites. ~ Victoria Klein .recentcomments a{display:inline !important;padding:0 !important;margin:0 […]

17. Mimi says:

Checkout our yoga /Buddhism inspired artwork http://www.massdesign.biz/TJGSHOP/gallery.php

18. […] to choose from, Yoga Today has one of the biggest online collections of full-length yoga classes, according to 27 Things to Know About Yoga author Victoria Klein. “One of the first (and still one of the best) online yoga class websites, Yoga Today’s […]

19. […] to choose from, Yoga Today has one of the biggest online collections of full-length yoga classes, according to 27 Things to Know About Yoga author Victoria Klein. “One of the first (and still one of the best) online yoga class websites, Yoga Today’s […]

20. amit says:

nice website information thanks for this!!!

21. @yogaonline says:

http://Yogasync.tv is another video site one where you can customize your own videos in The software edit other peoples Yoga Routines . Its pretty amazing, definitely worth checking out if you want to create your own video classes.

22. Henryka marks says:

Nice list shared here. I have one more site which is best for Yoga : http://www.ataia-yoga.ch/ – add this site in your list.

23. website says:

Website Design India +91-8800700773
    Website Design India is a Total Websites Support Company, Offer Websites Support Services Under an Annual Contract at Extremely Affordable Rates, We offers end-to-end Websites Solutions Which includes Domain Registration.

Keywords
    Website Design India

Contact Us :
    Websites Helpline
    D – 67
    Sector – 2, Noida, (U.P)
    Email Id: [email protected]
    Phone No.: +91 – 8800700773

24. You might have opened up my eyes right now with this thx

25. Anurag says:

List is good but missing on Arhanta Yoga Ashram, India

26. abhinam Yoga says:

Thanks Victoria for the awesome list.

Yoga in Goa

27. @shareyoga says:

I'm super late in responding but our site ShareYoga.com is a great resource for yoga students and yoga teachers. We also do a lot on twitter @shareyoga. Namaste

28. yogisimant says:

"The Certificate of The Spirit Yoga Foundation is recognized by The Government of India and Yoga Alliance. All the students who successfully complete the yoga teacher training course are awarded 'Yoga Teacher Certificate' they may register themselves directly with Yoga Alliance as a yoga teacher we give you 5 Year Membership of Spirit Yoga Foundation for continual guidance and mentoring

29. jarydhaelwaeters says:

These are all great yoga sites! Dont forget to check out Online Yoga Poses

30. kuldeep says:

Yoga is all about listening to your body. So long as you feel good, you can do yoga as often as you like. Some people feel good doing it three times a week, some people feel even better practicing six times a week. It's up to you.

31. Amyroseee says:

Nice useful article for small businesses like us. thank you so much for the detail information.integrated voice response

32. psicopatafu says:

Awesome post! I’m loving to use Yoga Trail to follow my favorite school and teachers, in that way not only learn asanas online but also being able to participate in their events and classes, knowing their schedule in a app in my phone. 🙂