A yogi friend of mine recently admonished me to “take the day off when it’s your day off.” We were talking about the days we don’t teach, work, or have any commitments. The days we really, truly, have the day off. She argued that we should take a break from our morning yoga practice on those days, too.
I argued that no way, no how, didn’t matter what other points were made or what happens in the day, my morning practice stays. I don’t do it because I feel I should. I don’t do it because I think I have to because I’m a yoga teacher. I do it because I absolutely freakin’ love it. Because no matter what I, or the universe, have planned for that day, when I practice in the morning that day is going to be a heckuva lot better than if I hadn’t.
But what if you really, truly, are strapped for time? (First off, take a note from breath master Max Strom’s book–and ask yourself: can you practice yoga instead of watching TV?)
If you really, truly are, here’s some tips:
– Forget the idea that a yoga practice needs to be any longer than 7 minutes. Just ask Mark Whitwell.
– Do your yoga while eating breakfast. Yup, just watch this vid of Thich Nhat Hanh. He does yoga while eating all the time.
– Do a walking meditation on your way to work. Try saying the mantra “Sa, Ta, Na, Ma” as you press the tip of each finger to the tip of your thumb. Or simply draw your attention to one of your senses at a time.
– Let the noise around you calm you. No, really. Let it become what you focus on completely. It will take you out of your head.
– Practice mindfulness at work.
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 254 shares The Most Powerful Moon of the Year: New Moon & Solar Eclipse in Pisces. 97,798 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 15,338 shares How Women ruin Good Men. 4,742 shares We can’t Break Up with a Soulmate. 3,499 shares If You Love an Intuitive, Old-Soul Pisces, Read This. 13,450 shares This is what Happened when I Started taking French Baths. 2,274 shares This Venus Retrograde could bring you a Fated Love. 1,283 share If You have to “Think About It,” then I’m Not the One for You. 5,308 shares February’s New Moon in Pisces & Solar Eclipse. 6,200 shares