Half of the forests that existed at the dawn of agriculture has since been destroyed.
Watch this stunning 7-minute film, Of Forests and Men–the official film for the launch of the International Year of the Forests, a global platform to celebrate people’s action to sustainably manage the world’s forests.
More forest facts.
- * Forests cover 31% of total land area.
- * 30% of forests are used for production of wood and non-wood products.
- * Forests are home to 80% of our terrestial biodiversity.
- * We are cutting trees down by the millions to plant soybeans and produce millions of tons of meat.
- * Every second, 2 football fields worth of rainforests are lost.
Read more forest facts and the International Year of the Forests 2011 on my blog, I Count for myEARTH.