There are seven major energy centers, or chakras. We can think of them as swirling light of beautiful lotus flowers. These seven centers are the link between our physical and energetic body. Each one has a relationship to our physical body and an organ or gland, as well as particular parts of our consciousness.
Over the next seven weeks, we (my sister, Sharon, and I) will explore the chakras and perhaps during the week you can incorporate the ‘chakra of the week’ into your life on and off the yoga mat by practicing certain yoga poses, meditating with a certain focus area, reflecting on questions about the chakra, etc.
Today we’ll explore the first Chakra, located at the base of the spine, Muladhara, which translates to Root or Support.
Here is some information we found in our research. We pulled info from various books and internet sites, some of which we will recommend at the end of each posting so you can delve deeper into the study of the chakras.
The color associated with Muladhara Chakra is red and the essence of this chakra is about security and vitality.
Muladhara Chakra includes lessons related to the material world; our sacred Truth -All Is One; Power-Tribal; Bonding/Honor/Support. This is can include lessons about our family of origin and where what we learn about loyalty, honor and justice.
Questions to ask yourself when exploring if your Muladhara Chakra is ‘balanced’:
Are you loyal? Do you honor your commitments? Do you believe in justice?
Muladhara Chakra is associated with:
– feeling nurtured, nourished and having a sense of belonging
– the Earth element
– Adrenal glands
– large intestines, feel and legs, the bones/skeletal structure
– sense of smell
– muscle system
When the Muladhara Chakra is not functioning well or is out of balance we may feel weak, depressed, have poor self esteem or we may focus on pleasing others. We can have an unfocused mind, have difficulty achieving goals and be incapable of stillness. When it is functioning well and in balance, we demonstrate self mastery, have strong physical energy and feel grounded and healthy.
How to balance this chakra?
– Yoga, of course! Poses good for this chakra: Downward Dog, Mountain, Tree, Warrior I, Forward Bend
– Aromatheraphy – lavender, sandalwood, cedar wood
– Meditation – focus on the region of the chakra, envision the color red and repeat a mantra (I am well in body, mind and spirit or something that resonates with you)
– Gems and Crystals – Coral is a healing gem for this chakra and the crystals are Ruby, Tiger’s Eye, Bloodstone. Hold a gem or crystal in your hand as you meditate or find a piece of jewelry to wear
– Deity – Ganesha – the remover of obstacles – find a Ganesha chant to listen to or to chant along with or a mantra that includes Ganesha.
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 120 shares The Most Powerful Moon of the Year: New Moon & Solar Eclipse in Pisces. 69,398 shares A Relationship will only be as Good as the Sex. 10,768 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 14,366 shares How Women ruin Good Men. 4,642 shares If You Love an Intuitive, Old-Soul Pisces, Read This. 12,128 shares We can’t Break Up with a Soulmate. 2,376 shares If You have to “Think About It,” then I’m Not the One for You. 5,284 shares This Venus Retrograde could bring you a Fated Love. 950 shares What Rumi had to Say about Unhappy Love. 271 shares