The video every yogi needs to see!

Via Tobye Hillier
on Mar 28, 2011
get elephant's newsletter

When we do yoga, this is what happens:

fascia

“THE FUZZ SPEECH.”

Bonus, vital:

About Tobye Hillier

Originally from England, Tobye Hillier has lived in Ireland for over 17 years, living in a small seaside town called Greystones 20 miles south of Dublin. A qualified Karuna yoga teacher (RYT 500), Tobye also plays a pretty darn funky 5-string bass guitar and likes to sing in other peoples' showers. Empathic and intuitive, He likes to bend Yoga to suit people and not the other way around.

Comments

73 Responses to “The video every yogi needs to see!”

1. Nancy A says:

agreed. this video is a game changer

2. ~*~ says:

freaky presentation of a very interesting portrait of myofacial fibers – thanks for posting! i'm coming to ireland this summer to visit my father who lives in dublin – any suggestions for superb yoga in the city?

3. fivefootwo says:

Whoa. Nothing like a visual to drive the point home. Useful, Thank you.

4. drbinder says:

Awesome, but let's not limit fuzz to movement therapy. Many important experiments have confirmed the nutritional relationship to "fuzz" and the toxic buildup that occurs from an unclean diet. Recent modeling is also explaining how emotions play an integral role in building or breaking "fuzz" throughout the body. Everything is connected! Excellent video!

5. ARCreated says:

fuzz free living baby!!! awesome

6. Evan says:

what is the technical term for 'fuzz'??

7. Faith Morgan says:

Awesome video………… this will really help all my Lupus and chronic pain friends!!! Thank you!

8. Johhny says:

Uh – how about its true anatomical term a "loose areolar plane" that is present from birth and a potential space for small intermuscular movements in between the origin and insertion. Not quite "fuzz" nor related to your diet or emotional state.

9. Pamela says:

So doesn't it build up at night? I need more information. Why and how does it form and is it always right to get rid of it?

10. drbinder says:

Cross Fiber Adhesions

11. Karl Marx says:

was that guy drunk?

12. Colin says:

I bought the DVD series a few years back and really enjoyed them. We use some excerpts from them in our teacher training program. This clip was one of the more memorable ones. There is another one where they manage to remove the entire myofascial sheath from a body. Its incredible.

13. Alicia says:

So is fuzz cross fibre adhesions or myofascial fibres or are they the same thing?

14. yogi tobye says:

open mind yoga on pearse street in the city centre is the superb. really excellent teachers and workshops.Noah Mazé was there just recently.

Glad you liked the Doc!

15. yogi tobye says:

Can definitely see (and feel) that as being true!

16. yogi tobye says:

now that would be worth watching!

17. yogi tobye says:

Glad you liked!

18. yogi tobye says:

same thing I think Alicia. Fuzz is the cross fibre adhesions of the myofascial fibres… I think… time for some google research methinks!

19. Fascia connects the body. It holds it together. If you overstretch it you can get into trouble too. It does not bounce back. Careful to my flexi friends.

20. Gil Hedley is great. He was originally trained as a Rolfer, which explains the unique perspective on fascia. 🙂
    I got to take cadaver labs with him during my Rolfing training…. he is a great teacher in person, and really cultivates an attitude of respect for the bodies that we are working with, while also helping people learn to see the body in a different way.

21. yogi tobye says:

Yes My Anatomy and physiology teacher Gary Carter, was also a Rolfer. It was him that first introduced me to myofascia.

Gill Hedley's worked with some very cool people (including yourself Karin)!

22. Claudia says:

Cool!, great find, i love it!

23. Max says:

Be gone Fuzz!!! Just clarifys that there is method in the madness of us Yogi's & our daily stretches. Thanks Tobes 🙂 x x

24. Claudia says:

OK, so, I just practiced after watching the video, and holly molly! [spelling? foreigner here] it was so good to have the visuals, I am so in appreciation for this video, again, gratitude for the post!

25. ali says:

this is so epicly rad. Full range of motion in the body-mind is where it's at. this reminds me not only of yoga and bodywork – but also of Eric Franklin's work in the Franklin Method.

26. char says:

wow! what's his PhD in?

27. yogi tobye says:

well he had no hair did he!

28. yogi tobye says:

no problemo Max <3

29. Pamela says:

Thanks x

30. THE FUZZ = Motivation to stretch/do yoga everyday! I knew my cats where smarter than me

31. Hi
    What's the name of the DVD series?
    Thanks!
    Tracy :o)

32. Heather Grimes says:

What a fascinating video blurb—

33. Melissa says:

I took a workshop from Gil at Kripalu. He's amazing, uniquely spiritual, entertaining and brilliant. I did a blog post on the fuzz speech last year. http://www.glutenfreeforgood.com/blog/fuzz-food-i

34. Brenda says:

Thank you, i really don't care for the "fuzz" term. besides he is demonstrating with a preserved corpse, the connective tissue he refers to as "fuzz" is much different in a live person and i believe the dehyxrationanal effect from the chemicals used to preserve corpses is substantial.

35. Todd says:

That was INCREDIBLE! I am turning 40 this summer and I have only been doing yoga for a year now, I am so tight in some areas like my shoulders. This really explains it to me… I have a lot of years of decreased flexiblity and movement there. Thanks for posting that video! I shared it will my friends on Facebook already! Thankyou!!!

36. J.D. says:

This dude is the Bob Ross of cadavers…

37. Toga says:

is not it an infringement on Bikram Yoga? In the USA the founder of Bikram yoga (Hot yoga) sued the plagirizers and won the case. He is the only one who certifies it the teaching credentians in the USA. Therefore, the certificate gotten in Thailand at least in the USA will be invalid.

38. Joe says:

This is simply not based on any evidence. The "fuzz" on the cadaver (might be solidified fat) is not seen in living tissue. (watch any operation). Physio is useful, but not for these reasons. This is pseudoscience. I am a Doctor, I have seen both cadavers and been in operating theatres.

Exercise, stay fit and flexible, but don't listen to bullshit explanations.

39. Thanks for the posting. My partner and i have continually noticed that a majority of people are eager to lose weight when they wish to look slim and also attractive. Nonetheless, they do not generally realize that there are other benefits to losing weight in addition. Doctors declare that overweight people experience a variety of disorders that can be directly attributed to their own excess weight. The good thing is that people who definitely are overweight and also suffering from a variety of diseases can reduce the severity of their particular illnesses through losing weight. You’ll be able to see a steady but marked improvement with health as soon as even a slight amount of weight reduction is accomplished.

One thing I’d like to comment on is that fat burning plan fast may be possible by the proper diet and exercise. Your size not merely affects the look, but also the general quality of life. Self-esteem, depressive disorders, health risks, and also physical skills are damaged in an increase in weight. It is possible to just make everything right whilst still having a gain. If this happens, a condition may be the root cause. While a lot of food and not enough body exercise are usually at fault, common health conditions and widely used prescriptions might greatly help to increase size. Thanks a bunch for your post right here.

I mastered more new things on this weight loss issue. Just one issue is that good nutrition is tremendously vital if dieting. A big reduction in bad foods, sugary foodstuff, fried foods, sweet foods, beef, and white flour products may perhaps be necessary. Having wastes bloodsuckers, and contaminants may prevent ambitions for fat loss. While particular drugs in the short term solve the situation, the bad side effects usually are not worth it, and in addition they never offer more than a short-term solution. It can be a known proven fact that 95% of diet plans fail. Many thanks for sharing your notions on this site.

Thanks for the ideas shared on the blog. Another thing I would like to express is that weight-loss is not exactly about going on a dietary fads and trying to shed as much weight that you can in a few months. The most effective way in losing weight is by acquiring it bit by bit and following some basic tips which can provide help to make the most through your attempt to lose weight. You may realize and already be following many of these tips, but reinforcing information never hurts.

I believe avoiding processed foods may be the first step to be able to lose weight. They may taste beneficial, but refined foods have got very little vitamins and minerals, making you take more only to have enough power to get with the day. Should you be constantly ingesting these foods, switching to whole grains and other complex carbohydrates will assist you to have more strength while eating less. Thanks alot : ) for your blog post.

40. Greg Wieting says:

Check out http://www.bodytalksystem.com. BodyTalk is a totally comprehensive, consciousness based health care system. It helps the body unravel all of the causative factors leading to health issues and injuries – especially the FUZZ factor. Working with BodyTalk I'm curious to help balance what rests beneath the fuzz the beliefs, attitudes, compensation patterns and so on that create rigidity in the fascia and connective tissue and thus compromise overall communication and integration within the body. With BodyTalk the body's own wisdom helps the body to express new ways of being so holding patterns and constrictions can liberate and the body can find a greater awareness from the inside out. BodyTalk is an incredible stand alone health care system for just about every health issue you could imagine. I also love sharing BodyTalk with my Yoga students to help deepen body awareness which can then bring a greater energetic and embodied connection to movement and life.

41. Jessie Paul says:

Wow! I loved this! Want to share with my yoga class right away!

42. Jules says:

Loving the fuzz, am going to tell everyone I meet about this!!

43. Amy Whelan says:

OK, I definitely gotta work the fuzz out of my right shoulder! Ha! That is one great clip. Thanks!

44. JinpaG says:

Yes, some yogis are overstretched, particularly around joints. Integration of muscle fibres & with ligamentous tissue for strength aaand flexibility — not over-extension or over-stretching — achieved together. I particularly like when he says, "what every cat in the world knows …." Thing is, they don't "think it", they just do it, and don't usually impose a regimen that tries to achieve any particular goal. They move & stretch in natural ways.

45. Doug says:

Maybe a little less sensationalism and a little more real science would also work today. Maybe not. Perhaps we are all ready to believe what we see on the internet even if the body has been dead for months and preserved in formadehyde and the fuzz bears little resemblance to our real living bodies.

46. Tom says:

The unbeliever has spoken.