Everyone knows dogs should not eat chocolate.
I was reminded of this recently when a customer of mine called to tell me that her two miniature schnauzers had somehow gotten hold of a box of her sonâ€™s energy bars and had eaten all one dozen chocolate bars! The results were nearly deadly as the toxic agent in chocolate, theobromine, poisoned the dogs. The dogs spent the night in the vet ER, after being forced to vomit and then attached to IV machines. The dogs returned home the next day, woozy and shell-shocked. Scary.
But there is other stuff your dogs should never eat beside chocolate. Hereâ€™s a list of foods to avoid feeding your dogs.
Alcohol. Fido just canâ€™t handle the booze for the same reasons itâ€™s not good for you. (And letâ€™s not let him at the weed either, for good measure).
Avocados contain a substance called persin. Itâ€™s harmless for humans (who aren’t allergic to it), but large amounts can be toxic to dogs.
Coffee contains caffeine, which in large amounts can be fatal to dogs. And there is no antidote.
Macadamia nuts, for reasons that are not completely clear, can be toxic for dogs.
Onions and garlic in all forms — powdered, raw, cooked, or dehydrated — can destroy a dog’s red blood cells, leading to anemia. I know folks who do give their dogs garlic to help deter fleas, but itâ€™s best to steer clear.
Raisins and grapes can cause kidney failure in dogs.
Xylitol, a sweetener used in some candies, gum, toothpaste, baked goods and diet foods can cause an increase in the insulin circulating through your dog’s body. That can cause your dog’s blood sugar to drop and can also cause liver failure.
If you think your dog has consumed something that’s toxic, call for emergency help immediately. Itâ€™s a good idea to keep the number of your local vet, the closest emergency clinic, and the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center â€“ (888) 426-4435 â€“ handy so you know you can find it in an emergency.
For stuff that’s good for your dog to eat, consider Raw Food: best for your Dog’s Health.