As a child growing up in the tropics, I often ate bananas picked from trees in my own backyard. Several decades and thousands of miles from my birthplace, I began to wonder how this cheap ubiquitous fruit is made available worldwide. This comic is a partial answer to that question.
If you wish to see the comic in slideshow format, go here.
The list of sources with hyperlinks is provided below the comic.
1. ‘The Ecological Footprint of the the Dole Banana’, Eric Kopetski, et.al., March 22, 2002
2. ‘Can this fruit be saved?’, Dan Koeppel, Popular Science, June 19, 2005
3. ‘Dole Banana Growing and Taking Care’, Youtube video, January, 2008
4. ‘The Journey of the Banana, from Land to your hand’, National Geographic Youtube video, August 8, 2010
5. ‘The Journey of the Banana’, Port of Hueneme.org
6. ‘Musa Balbisiana‘, Wikipedia entry, April 13, 2011
7. ‘Musa Acuminata’, Wikipedia entry, June 11, 2011