Irish case of spontaneous combustion!

Via Tobye Hillier
on Sep 24, 2011
get elephant's newsletter

It was one of those things I used to read as a kid and fascinated me. But the cases were always in countries so far away from me, so this recent news story came as a bit of a shock!

Taken fro the ABC news website;

The death of a 76-year-old Irishman has been ruled a case of spontaneous combustion, the BBC reported.

Michael Faherty died in his home in December 2010. His body was badly burned, but a fire in the nearby fireplace did not cause the blaze, forensic experts said. Scorch marks on the ceiling above the body and the floor below, and no trace of accelerant, led the coroner to return the controversial verdict,  the first of its kind in Ireland, according to the BBC.

“This fire was thoroughly investigated and I’m left with the conclusion that this fits into the category of spontaneous human combustion, for which there is no adequate explanation,” West Galway coroner Dr. Ciaran McLoughlintold a court Thursday.

One of the theories behind human combustion is that of “unbalanced kundalini” whereby the kundalini energy is maybe awakened with such force that it’s impossible to control.

Whatever causes it, it shows how fascinating we humans are….



About Tobye Hillier

Originally from England, Tobye Hillier has lived in Ireland for over 17 years, living in a small seaside town called Greystones 20 miles south of Dublin. A qualified Karuna yoga teacher (RYT 500), Tobye also plays a pretty darn funky 5-string bass guitar and likes to sing in other peoples' showers. Empathic and intuitive, He likes to bend Yoga to suit people and not the other way around.


4 Responses to “Irish case of spontaneous combustion!”

  1. OMG I know that guy!!! (Kidding…love Galway though.) I have an extremely pitta constitution….and I'm Irish…should I be worried? Maybe since summer is over I'll be safe?

  2. yogi tobye says:

    You want me to make some quips about how you're hot and smoking Kate?

  3. Haha…quit smoking long ago… I was so hot after class today that I fogged up my sunglasses. #sweatymess #temperaturenotsexiness #clearlyspendingtoomuchtimeontwitter