Depression & thyroid function transformed. But what about 18 months later?

Via Ben Ralston
on Nov 25, 2011
get elephant's newsletter

Editor’s note: given the controversial and personal nature of this post, it seems necessary to remind readers that we do not and can not endorse views or opinions of our many writers as representative of elephant as a whole. Generally, we do not support “advertorial” (which this article has been accused of being—whether or not it is in in the eye of each reader)—but in any case given the valuable discussion below, that has managed to be mostly respectful and helpful, I thank Ben for putting himself out there. Comments that are critical or positive are equally welcome; personal or disrespectful comments will be deleted. ~ Waylon Lewis, ed.

Profound healing.

Last night I gave a presentation near Ljubljana.

Nataša came.

I barely recognized her, but as soon as she said her name I knew which Nataša it was.

I’d met her 18 months ago, just the once. She came to me for a single healing session. The email she sent me afterwards has been on my website as a testimonial ever since.

She’d been suffering from depression and (to put it mildly) ‘dark thoughts’ for most of her life.

Despite seeking help from multiple doctors, psychiatrists, therapists, and healers, nothing and no one had been able to help her.

When she came to me she had also been having serious problems with her thyroid and was due surgery to have it removed. That was actually the catalyst that led her to me.

The result of that single session:

total transformation

No more depression, and no need for surgery – normal thyroid function.

The email she sent me after the session said this:

“My son never wanted to cuddle me before… now he’s constantly cuddling up next to me, and the light in his eyes when he looks at me says it all.

Thank you.”

18 months later her thyroid is still fine, and she is still free of depression.

One. Single. Session.

Sometimes people accuse me of narcissistic self-promotion, self-aggrandizement, and writing that reads like advertising.

I get that, really I do. Everywhere we look people are trying to sell us something.

And as the son of an advertising executive I’m particularly sensitive to it – the very, very last thing I want to do is come across like that, believe me!

But the thing is, it’s just not about me.

It’s about this wonderful, miraculous therapy: profound healing that actually works (on the causal level), permanently.

Your essence is pure, perfect consciousness. As such you are divine. Yoga calls this Satchitananda (pure being, consciousness, and bliss).

This is why it is easy and fast to heal almost anything. We are meant to be healthy and happy. It is our birthright. And whatever is blocking our experience of that perfection is easy to let go of, because it’s not really who we are.

In love,

Ben

For another (short video) demonstration of what is possible in just one session, see my blog Grounded Spirituality, here.

Please share this information as widely as you can. Help to change the world outside, one person at a time,  from within.

About Ben Ralston

Ben Ralston has been practising personal development—necessity being the Mother of invention—since he was about six years old. He’s been teaching and sharing what he’s learnt along the way for a couple of decades. His main thing is Heart of Tribe retreats—whose very purpose is to help you fall back in love with life, no less. Leading these retreats alongside his woman Kara-Leah Grant—also an elephant journal writer (that’s how they met!)—they combine a deep well of lineage-based yoga teaching experience, with expertise in healing trauma and various other methods of personal development. Ben also works with clients one-on-one via Skype, writes, makes videos from time to time, and is passionate about parenting. He lives in an intentional, tribal community in the hills of Croatia, where you might find him gardening barefoot and talking to the rocks. Connect with Ben on Facebook or YouTube or check out his website for more info.

Comments

125 Responses to “Depression & thyroid function transformed. But what about 18 months later?”

1. Jeanette Dunphy says:

Have just had my thyroid removed because of nodules presenting with possible cancer. I find this story very alarming!!!
    Fully trained medical professionals are the only people you should allow to treat you if you present with a serious medical condition.
    If I'd let it go, trying alternative healing, who knows where I would be in 6 months time. Dead or dying.

2. Ben_Ralston says:

I replied to you already on FB Jeanette, but I'll just re-iterate here for anyone else reading:
    The client in the above article has had regular medical check-ups, and to this day she has a healthy thyroid function.

3. Ben_Ralston says:

Tobye,
    I have had many, many clients like this. Almost all my clients report massive changes. So this is not a 1 in a million thing. I see these things day in, day out, as do many other RPT practitioners. What makes it unusual is that I can report the results 18 months later, which is why I wrote about it.
    If it were a 1 in a million thing, and I would write about it as I did above, this would make me a charlatan only interested in 'selling' an image of myself as some kind of remarkable healer. It would mean I only wanted to get clients based on a false representation of myself and my work. Right?

4. __MikeG__ says:

I agree with Jeanette, this is the kind of post that potentially can get people killed. There is a reason why people who sell this kind of magical thinking rely on personal testimony. Personal testimony is not proof. I have seen people who personally testified that they have been abducted by aliens and anally probed.

These kinds of claims always fall down when subjected to rigorous study. If Jeanette's precancerous thyroid modules really could have been healed by one session of talking then those kind of results can reliably be reproduced in a scientific study. As Carl Sagan said, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". You only have half of that equation covered.

5. yogi tobye says:

Ok, gotcha! was reading it like it was your account of the possibilities of what can happen…. kinda cool if you're getting results that fast all the time 🙂

6. yogijulian says:

this is very irresponsible.

7. yogijulian says:

exactly mike. i am in the mind/body healing world too – have been for almost 20 years, and if i had a dime for evey person claiming miraculous healing based on one anecdote i could buy a wheatgrass farm!

making a causal connection between your anecdotal/testimonial claim and the remission of some kind of documented disease would be a massive big deal, being able to repeat it and demonstrate the efficacy of an alternative approach would be game changing on a global level.

too many in our field want to make grandiose claims of new paradigm, quantum, causal total transformation etc…. the thing is mind/body, alternative therapies do work much of the time, especially for conditions that are stress related, biomechanical, psychosomatic etc….and they are also very, very enriching on the level of well being, personal integration, healing trauma etc… there is enough goodness going on without making outlandish and self-aggrandizing claims based on insufficient evidence. this just make you, ben – and indeed all of us look like we're selling snake oil.

also my friend – this will bite you in the ass, because this piece will most likely get you a bunch of desperate clients with intractable conditions and your actual success rate with them will be predictably quite low, which will humble you – just please, please don't blame it on their lack of desire to heal or some such.

all the best – i am sure you are doing good work, just don't let it go to your head – and don't overstep your bounds into medical territory without really solid methods, repeatable evidence and good sense of humility in the face of serious diseases.

8. yogijulian says:

what happened to my two comments?!

9. Ben_Ralston says:

Ah, I'm sorry if it comes across like that – as if I can guarantee the outcome every time. Of course not. It depends on too many factors. I was only hoping to present the facts of what happened with this client.
    But yes, I am getting super fast results all the time. Like with this short video: http://benralston.blogspot.com/2011/11/strong-fee
    If you're interested in knowing how it's possible, read my response to Julian below.

10. Ben_Ralston says:

Don't worry, all 3 of your comments are here 🙂
    Nothing you said 'bites me in the ass'. I hear you.
    I also cringe at most of the healers and healing methods out there professing 'miracles' with very dubious evidence. They almost always work only on the level of symptoms, and often do more harm than good.
    There's a great deal of bullshit. But just because I'm also reporting amazing results, doesn't mean I'm also bullshitting.
    You assume that (like them) my success rate is also low. It's close to 100% Julian! I'll tell you how this is possible:

We know everything we need to know to heal:

1. The cause of all our problems is trauma.
    2. How to find that trauma.
    3. And how to heal it.
    The only other key to genuine, profound healing is that the client takes full responsibility for their problems (this is the biggest and hardest part, and we know how to bring the client to take greater responsibility when necessary, by using our technique to work on secondary gain.)
    Our focus on Secondary gain, epigenetics, and the biological development as opposed to 'past lives' are what makes the therapy that I practice unique and practicable, and highly, highly effective.

With love.

11. Ben_Ralston says:

Chelsea, please read my response to Julian above. I hope it clarifies for you why you have respect for me on the one hand, and on the other believe I'm being irresponsible.
    If not, please let me know. I also have respect for you and would like to show you that there is absolutely no bullshit here.

12. Louise Brooks says:

Beware anecdotal stories of successful miraculous healing. Anecdotes are not science.

13. Ben_Ralston says:

And science is forever proving it's own past mistakes. Right?

14. yogijulian says:

ben i have worked with trauma in myself and others for the last 15 – 20 years in various ways. i agree with you that doing the trauma work is key – and am sure you have learned great tools for doing so – i applaud you!

what i said would bite you in the ass was that a self-promoting post like this will draw people desperate for total transformation and to find the secret key you promise – but i predict you will not have a high success rate with serious disease.

claims about accessing quantum healing or epigenetics or the nonsensical theta healing which claims "to go in and alter your brain" by getting you into a theta state usually smack of pseudoscience charlatanism – which is a shame because you may be onto something substantive and effective here – i know at the very least you are sincere…

the problem with making claims of being able to cure diseases that where medical science has failed is a) you need a more scientific basis for this claim to be valid and b) you are setting up unrealistic expectations in a desperate sector of the population – this is something that could be seen as a highly unethical opportunism viz profiting on the sick.

15. yogijulian says:

ben i implore you to take in the very well stated, neutral and grounded feedback you are getting about what constitues responsible statements about the ability to heal/cure/transform intractable medical conditions. don't go down some relativist road of invalidating science as away to rationalize a simple mistake you are making here.

16. Ben_Ralston says:

Thank you Cows are Great.
    I remember your kind comment from one of my first posts here – on diet. And again I appreciate your thinking and the energy behind it.
    Love.

17. Ben_Ralston says:

Julian,
    You are making assumptions about me here that are simply inaccurate. You need not 'implore' me or worry about my 'mistakes'. It's all under control!
    With love,
    Ben

18. Ben_Ralston says:

Sorry! I totally misread your 'bite in the ass' paragraph.

I see where you are coming from with that now, and I understand your perspective. But I don't really see a difference between diseases – serious and not. What is serious? What is 'not serious'?

That is a perspective of fear, and I'm afraid I don't really share it. All diseases are just things that we can learn from in my opinion. And I don't believe that all can be healed, or that all are meant to be – but that doesn't make me feel that they are serious. If anything, the opposite, no? If something is unchangeable (like death) then we should really not take it too seriously at all!

You are right – I am onto something, and I am sincere. So why not listen instead of immediately making assumptions about 'pseudoscience charlatanism'. Perhaps my sincerity and 'onto-something-ness' are enough. Perhaps you, despite your great experience, could learn something?

As for your last paragraph – i don't worry about appearances anymore. I am unafraid of your, or anyone else's, judgement. What you 'see' in my writing, or my work generally, is up to you. I would hope that you have enough discernment to see past your prejudices, but if not, then it doesn't affect me in the slightest.

One more thing: I don't work with 'desperate' people. If someone does not take responsibility for their situation (I assume that's what you mean by desperation) then I can't help them. But that doesn't happen often, because I can usually get them to take responsibility (by working on the secondary gain of not taking responsibility), and then I am able to help them. In the rare cases where I get someone clearly unwilling to do so, I don't work with them. 80€ for mission impossible is not my idea fun.

19. yogijulian says:

well we tried. these are the kinds of things someone says in the beginning of their practice when they learn a new tool and have some success, some luck and become convinced they can overcome anything. hubris.

the only reason several of us have commented as we have is that there is a really serious ethical question here you seem to have overlooked.

20. yogijulian says:

you should take the counsel of another ben – a countryman of yours:

21. yogijulian says:

just take note for later of who is trying to talk sense to you and who is supporting you on this one ben…

22. yogijulian says:

this is not about judgment appearances or open mindedness ben, it's about grounding and ethics and knowing that it is a massive step into very loaded territory to claim to be able to heal serious chronic disease.

your comments about "seriousness" are sophomoric and immature – as are your statements about healing etc…

you have a long way to go, sir.

23. Ben_Ralston says:

I "learnt a new tool" (!) and have had 'some success', some 'luck', and "am convinced I can overcome anything".
    When you read that back don't you sound arrogant to yourself?!
    Each of those statements has absolutely no basis in anything I have said, and yet you accuse me of invalidating science!

24. Ben_Ralston says:

Perhaps Julian, or perhaps the ways we are both going are just very different.
    I wish you peace, love, and simplicity – wherever and however you are going.

25. yogijulian says:

ben i wouldn't have commented here unless i liked you and respected your other posts – i think yo will find that chelsea, jeannette and mike feel the same.

we have all been very clear about what is alarming and potentially damaging and unethical about this – you have not taken it seriously.

at a certain point i started reflecting back that this was the typical hubris of someone fairly new to an alternative healing practice – i stand by this, and in time i think you may agree.

your statements about science, healing and whether or not certain diseases are serious are very cavalier and ungrounded.

no offense, i wish you only the best.

26. Ben_Ralston says:

No offense taken Julian.
    I have been thinking, and I want to suggest something to you: a conversation! I would like to talk to you (via Skype or similar) and explain how what I do works. The reason: I believe that I could change your perception of what I'm doing. Either way, I believe we would both learn something.
    We could even record the conversation (I have the software for that) and it might be very interesting viewing for readers of EJ and our blogs. What do you say?

27. Rhonda says:

Yes, yes, and yes. Energy healing often has unpredictable results and is not a guarantee of a cure. This article appears to be an "advertorial" by and for Ben Ralston.

28. __MikeG__ says:

Defending magical thinking with more magical thinking is laughable. I hope the aliens don't get you, I've heard those anal probes are quite disconcerting.

29. Ben_Ralston says:

I don't practice 'energy healing' Rhonda.

30. Tanya Lee Markul says:

Hi Ben. I'd really like to hear more about your technique and how it was that you were able to heal this woman – it would have been interesting to know where you are coming from.

Posting to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Tanya Lee Markul, Yoga Editor
    Join us! Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

31. elephantjournal says:

Ben, I've edited the title to sound less "advertorial"—which we just can't do on this site. It now reads: "Depression & thyroid function transformed. But what about 18 months later?"

I thank you and Julian, Chelsea or having a strong yet respectful debate. Let's just make sure our motives are clear—to communicate and be of benefit (and if clients are magnetized to such, great) not to sell, first.

~ Waylon

32. Ben_Ralston says:

Absolutely Way.
    My entire motivation for writing this was to promote an amazing modality – I am surprised to meet such a strong feeling in so many people thinking that I am actually doing the thing I wanted least to do!
    But I have re-read the article, and I don't find anything in it that is advertorial, so I stand by it entirely.
    I personally think it would be more 'unethical' to *not* tell people about this incredible tool that helps us heal trauma rapidly and permanently – especially in the light of recent scientific research that suggests that trauma is the cause of ALL our problems.
    This work is helping to shift global consciousness. That's how strongly and passionately I feel about it, and so I won't stop shouting it out there – regardless of how some people take it.
    Thanks for your unbiased support Way, I appreciate it.
    Ben

33. Ben_Ralston says:

Alli,
    Very, very well said.
    There is magical thinking, and it's a barrier to success and progress.
    But there is also magic, and life without magic, to me, is meaningless.
    I am very happy for you that you experience magic and are open to *all* of life's possibilities.

As for your question about the strategies for healing – I've written at length about them here and on my blog. Please feel free to read further, and if you have any specific questions, email me.

With love

34. Ben_Ralston says:

Thanks Kate,
    Actually, RPT is very much based upon science.
    Particularly the work of Grant McFetridge, researching Peak States of consciousness (and their relationship with trauma at key developmental events in our biology). Also Epigenetics, which has proven a link between trauma experienced by our Grandmother at the time when our Mother was at around 3 months gestation (when all the mother's eggs are formed in her ovaries), and illness / physical characteristics in the grandchildren.

It's very exciting!

35. __MikeG__ says:

Ben- The very definition of magical thinking is believing in magic. You are playing irresponsible games with peoples lives when you make them believe your medicine man theatrics have healed a real malady.

Once again I challenge you and the others who posted to submit claims of magical healing to submit those claims to critical scrutiny. No more unsubstantiated 2nd and third party anecdotes. No more raising straw man arguments when people challenge your magic. If your claims are true then this "technique" will prove itself to be verifiable, quantifiable and repeatable.

And to repeat:

Your claim is that one session of talking will heal physical conditions. Talking. Just talking. No advanced techniques such as throwing bones or howling at the moon are required. Just talking.

But let's be honest, this post was a thinly disguised marketing ploy to sell magical healing. Science is not an enemy of truth, but science is an enemy of ignorance and charlatans.

36. Joe says:

I really like this eloquent and reasoned response. It would be wrong to think that all of us who are skeptical are totally dismissive of mind/body healing, so thank you for bringing those elements into it.

37. Ben_Ralston says:

Mike – You think that talking cannot heal the body, because you don't understand that the body is a physical, material expression of consciousness.
    Furthermore, you are afraid of the possibility that everything you have been led to believe (all your social conditioning) is wrong.
    And rather than have the courage to investigate that possibility, you simply lash out and brand any suggestion of it as 'magical thinking'.
    I am also opposed to 'magical thinking', though I know you will find that hard to believe. I don't like people to give their power to people who 'read' their cards, or tell them about their 'past lives', or try to 'give' them more 'bio-energy'. I am opposed to any kind of healing that is not firmly rooted in a grounded and deep understanding of what it is to be human.

But magical thinking, and magic, are not the same. When you start believing again in magic, then we can talk. Until then, really there is nothing I can say to you except – open your eyes and see through your fear. There is a beautiful, magical, wonderful world around you (starting with your body) that cannot be understood only through logic and reason.

You are consciousness expressing itself in many ways – physical, emotional, energetic, mental… but you are not those expressions. You are what is being expressed.

By talking we are able to tap into the source, but it's not the only way.

Anyway, I wish you luck and love!

Ben

38. Becky says:

Ben's comments about seriousness are rather philosophic and make perfect sense to me (and a lot of other people). What is serious and what is 'not serious' makes perfect sense to be a matter of perspective, fear-based perspective vs. love-based perspective.

39. dave says:

Waylon, perhaps rather than censor or edit testimonial based healing stories , Elephant can publish a sidebar accompaniment which gives bullet point guidelines for assessing therapies and techniques based on multiple criteria such as transparency, reproducability, etc., so as to give readers more tools for evaluating information.

40. yogijulian says:

you have absolutely no basis for asserting a causal connection. anecdotal evidence is very weak. you are on shaky ground. be careful not to start claiming you can cure cancer – you may end up (rightly so) in the slammer.

41. yogijulian says:

blogger please!

42. yogijulian says:

where we really are here is slap bang in the middle of the postmodern/new age zeitgeist: relativism, anti-scientific, magical thinking, anti "western" medicine – there are no truths, everything is opinion, belief and perspective….

unfortunately serious diseases don't give a flying hoot what your flimsy belief system is – and being responsible in terms of what people who are absolutely desperate might believe based on charisma, fancy language or unfounded claims is essential.

profiting off of people's tragedy by selling yourself as a magical healer is sick.

making extreme relativist cavalier statements about there being no such thing as "serious" illness and that you know the source of all illness is trauma is very worrying.

what happens in our alternative healing world is that many practitioners have not been mentored or qualified through stages of coming to understand ethics, scope of practice etc – and then when this is pointed out the new age relativist response is – who are you to tell me anything about anything, i believe what i want and do what i want and you're just old fear paradigm and don't believe in magic.

it is a delusional, grandiose, infantile mess…..

43. yogijulian says:

as of right now this just looks like more of your snake oil self-promoting strategy to reach more people and make more money.

also: having looked into "reference point therapy" i now feel that claiming to work with trauma is an irresponsible act on your part too. this approach is nice enough and probably has some benefit, but it is a cheesy new agey marketing scheme set up by a young fresh faced aussie who claims to be able to teach you to master miracles.

give me a break.

44. Jerry says:

Steve Jobs tried alternative medicine for his cancer and some claim it killed him by not getting early medical treatment. Not sure why Elephant allows this thinly disguised ad for his services. Can't find anything on the author's website that leads me to believe that this is some huckster trying to drum up business.

45. Janet says:

This post is a great work of fiction. Show your 'cure' rate, give some evidence of success or stopping shrilling for your dubious services. Pretty sure your claims would be flagged as fraud by regulatory agencies in the US.

46. yogijulian says:

here's the source of all this. he gives me the creeps:

47. Becky says:

I didn't see the article as advertorial at all. Rather, Ben sharing a truth, a modality that genuinely helps heal people. A modality that is so simple, direct, and effective, that it still blows my mind in a very beautiful way. To not share this information would be sad, or as Ben puts it, unethical.

One session of talking can heal physical, mental or emotional conditions. It may take a second session. It varies with each person. I struggled with anger, anxiety, and suspicion for years. I mean years. I'm laughing about this now, because through one session with Ben, it went away. I tried years of talking to psychologists and reiki healers, and even two years on an anxiety medication from a psychiatrist, and none of it permanently healed my 'stuff'. One session with Ben did. I'm thankful Ben talks about his modality in his articles. It's how I found him. It's how I was able to heal.

As a result of this healing, I also share in Ben's enthusiasm about sharing RPT. It would be unethical not to. I plan on studying RPT in the future with a goal to also share to others about this truthful modality. I hope Ben never stops talking about it in his writings. I hope Ben keeps reporting his results.

Mike, aren't you curious? Do you have the courage to investigate, to challenge yourself to explore RPT first rather than denigrate that which is unknown to you (which, by the way, is a fear-based motivation.) You might be surprised.

48. Ben_Ralston says:

Julian, my basis for asserting a causal connection is that this lady had 20 yrs worth of clinical depression that was not helped by many, many people. She felt a shift in the session I did with her, and she has not looked back.
    She knows that it was my work that helped her, so does her husband, and so do I.

You display great arrogance and disrespect to continually and repetitively comment in this negative way on my posts, encouraging people on your Facebook page to do so too. Really, you should look to yourself why it is that you feel the need to do so!

49. Ben_Ralston says:

Thanks Becky 🙂

50. Ben_Ralston says:

Julian.

I have really had enough now of your nonsense.

You already told me this yesterday (that you refuse my offer of a respectful dialogue). So clearly your comment above: "i would rather not expose you to my readership, email list and FB contacts in the early stages of you irresponsibly building your practice through unethical claims.
    demonstrate that you have understood the cautions and eloquent criticisms offered by many here and i would consider it."…
    is intended for my readers. This betrays your insincerity.

You judge RPT on it's founders fresh faced looks. And the fact that he's Australian. Wow. Congratulations, I hope you have much success in life with that attitude.

And now please, if you don't like my posts, no problem. Don't read them, don't comment on them, and don't encourage your Facebook 'friends' to do so either. I will pay you the same respect.